Lorien

a few things that came to my mind while reading the thread. the number 6 meaning imperfect and 7 is perfect. according to all my hardcore Christian friends 666 is the devils number and 777 is Gods number.
Also my brother was talking to me about the barcode being the mark of the beast.
If you look at a barcode there are 2 thin lines that are close together, they are supposed to be sixes. On almost any barcode on any product there are these 3 2-thin lines, one before the barcode, one in the middle, and one on the end of the barcode. If this is true, we are all supporters of the beast, or something.
there is technology being invented that you get a silicon chip inserted into your hand that is a barcode, you will no longer have to carry money around with you for all your money is numbers in a computer. when you want to buy something, the scanners at the doors scan your hand and subtract all the items from your bank account. something like that. Just felt i should bring that to attention here.

Nevada

Imagemaker said:
Crowley called himself The Beast for this very reason (allusions to Bibilical 666 fears)--to set people on edge, to taunt their fears and see what they would do.
Maybe Crowley hoped to have this ongoing search for the "beast" over and done with. }) Still people keep searching for that beast. Perhaps the prophecy itself is the beast, serving as a distraction from the search for truth or enlightenment. Fear can be a huge distraction.

My belief system involves numbers, and I do take them seriously, but this one has been, IMO, stretched to its limit by superstition. Keep in mind that it comes up every thousand or so in any given number sequence: license plates, phone numbers, and so forth, sometimes in your total at the grocery store. We'll each have it come up in our life sooner or later. Any contemplation of its significance beyond when and where it comes up in our own lives may very well be futile.

Nevada

Imagemaker

. Perhaps the prophecy itself is the beast, serving as a distraction from the search for truth or enlightenment. Fear can be a huge distraction.

This really hits me as valid--and reflects the post about the Hierophant holding up the "devil's horns" sign to fend off people not yet ready to handle the power of Spiritual Secrets. Only those unafraid to look behind the veil are ready to wisely wield the power of what they find

Indigo Rose

HudsonGray said:
Prophecies are no use if you can't make sense out of them.

Matthew 13:14 & 15
"...you will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them."

Sometimes understanding comes only when the heart is open to it. Prophecy will make no sense to the heart that wants nothing to do with the ONE from whom it comes.
Blessings,
Indigo Rose :)

Ani

Never be afraid of something because you can't understand it, this fear is an illusion

I do not know

Correlation to Devil card?

"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast for it is the number of man; and his number is six hundred, threescore and six."

oceanpoetry said:
is that "666" represents the molecular components of life, 6 carbon, 6-something, and 6-something . . . IMO, it comes from being too focused on the material world and losing sight of higher purpose/ Spirit (thus its correlation to the "Devil" card).

Six electrons, six protons, and six neutrons. I noticed it about 20 years ago in a periodic element chart: even there it was cryptic and partly obfuscated. It's not only the number of man, but of all carbon-based life-forms.

[size=large]We are all, "The Beast", [/size] even those who aren't human. Computers excepted, of course.

See Crowley's Ace of Disks, and also V The Heirophant (part of the key). The actual printing of 666 in the first card of the disks suit is interesting. Perhaps it's an allusion to forced control through the money mechanism, and hence its usage by appearing in the design of the key held by the V series trump.

Before making the carbon connection, I'd always tended to think of 333 and 666 as parts of 1000, or 1/3 and 2/3. Therefore, I'm not certain I understand the "physical" symbolic correlation of "666" to the "Devil" card. I'm also not satisfied with the idea of it being 7-1=6, that doesn't fit the concept of US AS BEAST, since the general assumption is that "man" is represented by 5, not 6.

Oh, what a tangled web. . . .

Ani

Really interesting, I'll be giving that some thought.