Truth vs. Lies Spread

Barleywine

As a result of interaction here (thanks for the inspiration, Sybelline :)), I created a spread aimed at exploring the "truth or lie" potential of a situation involving contradictory inputs (the "two sides to every story" angle). I have a two-page narrative on using it but won't post it due to the copyright debate. I will say:

I use two tarot decks, one for each line so I can have the potential for the same card to appear in both lines, showing "two sides of the same coin."

I use the "nice" Queen of Hearts and the "nasty" Queen of Spades from a playing card deck just for "atmosphere" (as figure-head "judges," not part of the reading) since I like the idea of those Queens in Hedgewytchery.

I pit the "truth" cards against the "lies" cards in several ways to see which one is most convincing in each context, coming up with interim decisons.

I make a story of each line and compare them, arriving at a preliminary verdict which also factors in which side won the most "rounds" of the debate.

I consider the presence of powerful Trump cards that might override the strong testimony of the other side of the equation. I also factor in Court cards as "who" might be lying or telling the truth.

I use the derived quint card of each line for a "championship round" using the Trumps only, to see if the "eye of the gods" (the archetypal wisdom of the Trumps) favors one perception of the truth over the other, by seeing which one produces the most compelling argument for or against the correctness of the verdict.

I'm still playing around with this and it will likely change.

Attachments

• Truth vs Lies.jpg
    Truth vs Lies.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,390

Tanga

As a result of interaction here (thanks for the inspiration, Sybelline :)), I created a spread aimed at exploring the "truth or lie" potential of a situation involving contradictory inputs (the "two sides to every story" angle)...

Huh?? You've lost my slow dumb brain.
Could there be an example at some point please?

Barleywine

While you're waiting, you could look at my comments in Sybelline's "What is Truth? What is Lies?" thread for at least a partial overview of my thinking. About the only thing I added is the idea of comparing the quint cards of the two lines for additional testimony. I also added the descriptors to the three different ways of matching up truth vs. lie: the "hidden" truths or lies that are working on the situation - for example, "behind-the-back" stuff like deliberate undermining or backstabbing; the truths or lies that are an obvious part of what is being contested - perhaps what the two antagonists think they know about the "bone of contention," and the truths or lies that indicate what is held to be the reality of the situation by outside parties, which could arise in gossip and such.

This is all very fluid at the moment, pretty much theoretical. I'm looking for more opportunities to practice with it, but I don't get exposed to many controversial situations these days.

ETA: I'm thinking it might offer some insights in "he said/she said" situations where the querent is caught in the middle and doesn't know whom to believe. I have a detailed "method sheet" written but won't post it due to the internet theft issue.

Amanda

I tried your spread here. Not sure I am reading it correctly though.

kalliope

I have a detailed "method sheet" written but won't post it due to the internet theft issue.

Every way I try to write this it sounds snarky, but I swear it's just a genuine question! Are you writing a book or course or website, and that's why you wouldn't want to share with us the details of a spread or method that you created? I'm curious what your concerns are regarding copyright. Pardon my obtuseness.

I was intrigued by the idea of this spread but found your description somewhat vague and would have loved to see an example with more notes. But I'm sure I just need to slow down and read more thoughtfully. I'll go check out the example in Sybelline's thread you referenced, and also Amanda's thread.

If you change your mind at some point, I hope you'll add it to the Tarot Spreads subforum!

Barleywine

Every way I try to write this it sounds snarky, but I swear it's just a genuine question! Are you writing a book or course or website, and that's why you wouldn't want to share with us the details of a spread or method that you created? I'm curious what your concerns are regarding copyright. Pardon my obtuseness.

I was intrigued by the idea of this spread but found your description somewhat vague and would have loved to see an example with more notes. But I'm sure I just need to slow down and read more thoughtfully. I'll go check out the example in Sybelline's thread you referenced, and also Amanda's thread.

If you change your mind at some point, I hope you'll add it to the Tarot Spreads subforum!

As a matter of fact, I have written a - maybe a monograph? - around seven spreads I created, including detailed narratives as to their use. This will make it eight, and bring it up to 43 pages. I intend to self-publish it when all is said and done, as a spiral-bound, full color booklet. I really don't want to leak it all over the internet, since I've seen what can happen. I tried sending the details for this spread by PM to someone who wanted to work with it, but couldn't figure out how to attach it. If I could figure that out, I would send you and Amanda a copy of my more comprehensive PDF text for this spread.

Amanda

As a matter of fact, I have written a - maybe a monograph? - around seven spreads I created, including detailed narratives as to their use. This will make it eight, and bring it up to 43 pages. I intend to self-publish it when all is said and done, as a spiral-bound, full color booklet. I really don't want to leak it all over the internet, since I've seen what can happen. I tried sending the details for this spread by PM to someone who wanted to work with it, but couldn't figure out how to attach it. If I could figure that out, I would send you and Amanda a copy of my more comprehensive PDF text for this spread.

I don't think you can send attachments in messages here. You would have to send it via personal e-mail.

kalliope

As a matter of fact, I have written a - maybe a monograph? - around seven spreads I created, including detailed narratives as to their use. This will make it eight, and bring it up to 43 pages. I intend to self-publish it when all is said and done, as a spiral-bound, full color booklet.

Ah, I wondered if it was something like that. :)

As for sending attachments, I think Amanda is right. You'd have to either email it, or put it up somewhere that allows you to send people the secret link to an otherwise private file (like Google Drive or Dropbox, etc.)

Barleywine

Ah, I wondered if it was something like that. :)

As for sending attachments, I think Amanda is right. You'd have to either email it, or put it up somewhere that allows you to send people the secret link to an otherwise private file (like Google Drive or Dropbox, etc.)

I just completed my detailed analysis of Amanda's spread. See what you think. It might answer some of your questions about method.

kalliope

I just completed my detailed analysis of Amanda's spread. See what you think. It might answer some of your questions about method.

I'll take a look at it today, thanks!