Need some book recommendations, please!

Ilithiya

I've been reading off & on for about ten years, but decided it was time to get serious about it... :)

What I'm looking for is a book or two that would be useful as an all around reference, with good solid info regarding symbolism and in-depth meanings. It'd also be good if the material covered was straight to the point, without a lot of "fluff".

Goodies like associations, card combinations, elemental dignities, and spreads are a bonus.

I was considering Jana Riley's Tarot Dictionary and Tracy Porter's Tarot Companion, but I haven't actually gotten a chance to flip through these yet; what's good and bad about these, in your opinions?

Thanks for the help, loveys!
Illy

CreativeFire

Hi Ilithiya

Just like tarot decks, there are a large amount of tarot books out there - I personally love reading different tarot books.

Some ones that I have got and have found very good are Rachel Pollack's - "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot" and also her "78 Degress of Wisdom", also Juliet Sharman-Burke's "Mastering the Tarot".

Have not read the ones you mentioned, but will have to add them to my list to check out :)

CreativeFire

Laura Borealis

If you want a reference for symbols, i just got Sandra A. Thomson's Pictures From the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary. So far, it looks really good. It's thick, over 450 pages. She cites her references. I always look for this, as I've seen far too many books where it appears the author is just making stuff up. There's an entry for each card, and many important figures in Tarot history are included, but the bulk is explaining the significance of symbols. For each of these entries, she explains the symbol and gives examples from some decks/cards on which the symbol is used.

Here's a sample entry:

mandorla
The vesica piscis (vessel of the fish), the third shape formed at the center of two intersecting or overlapping circles. Almond-shaped (mandorla is Italian for almond), it can be associated with all the symbolism of the almond (virginity, sweetness, watchfulness). It represents perfection (opposites are joined) and often surrounds artistic presentations of virgin queens of heaven. In esoteric tradition it represents a secret, something hidden in a dark place, therefore the treasure is hard to find -- the Self. In Jungian psychology, the mandorla is an image that reflects thte healing of the split between shadow and conscious ego, the perfect symbol of conflict resolution and union. A mandorla is shown in the upper left-hand corner of the Haindl "Alchemy" (Temperance) card. The figure in various World cards oftne dances in a mandorla, representing the overlap between heaven and earth. The Irish Ardagh Chalice floats in a mandorla on the Wheel of Change's Ace of Cups, representing the yoni and the gateway of life. Employing the same symolism, the single wand and sword in the World Spirit Tarot aces float in a mandorla/yoni, gateway to the powers of their suits.
See yoni.

(This entry contained several citations also, which I left out)

I'm learning a ton from this book already and I haven't had it long at all. Like the mandorla -- I never knew what it was called or all its background, I just saw the figure in the World dancing inside a sort of yoni-wreath. :)

jmd

Part of the difficulty in properly answering your question is that it in turn depends on what your orientation is.

For example, I personally have not found Jungian-type oriented books very useful when it comes to better understanding the symbology of cards - though many others seem to actually prefer such orientation.

Likewise, if a book principally addresses the images and their meaning from a Golden Dawn perspective, I find this tells me more about the GD than about Tarot. But of course, for those who have such preference, then the descriptions are quite meaningfull.

It would probably help, for more 'targetted' suggestions, to have an idea as to what you may prefer.

As a general suggestion, I have yet to find a book comparable to R. O'Neill's Tarot Symbolism. Until it gets reprinted next year, however, it is very difficult to find.

Ilithiya

Thanks... that helped me put it in perspective :)

I think that what I'm looking for is two things: interpretations, et al from a Jungian/psychological approach, and symbolism from the GD/ceremonial standpoint.

I do want to avoid overt new-agey or Pagan perspectives, though. Most of that kind of writing chafes me (but no offense to anyone who prefers that).

I'm prolly going to need several books, aren't I? :) Thanks for the help!

Illy

jmd said:

It would probably help, for more 'targetted' suggestions, to have an idea as to what you may prefer.

Kissa

"78 degrees of wisdom" for in-depth study. Not a beginner's book.

I second Laura_borealis on Thomson's dictionary "Pictures from the Heart".

Depending on the deck you prefer, a good companion book usually offers good info about the symbolism used in that deck.

I don't have references for Jungian psychology but there must be older threads about that somewhere...

Hope that helped.

Kissa

DeLani

Ilithiya said:
I do want to avoid overt new-agey or Pagan perspectives, though. Most of that kind of writing chafes me (but no offense to anyone who prefers that).
Illy
None taken; you have the right to your beliefs.
But ... you want Golden Dawn references, but you don't want anything Pagan?? How much do you know about the Golden Dawn?
Just because they use the Kabbalah doesn't make them Christian or even Jewish.

scorpio

Ilithiya, i just checked out a new book from the library that looks to me like what you are seeking, Tarot Mysteries by Jonathon Dee. Here is the back cover "Find new insights into the tarot as you read these fresh interpretations of the cards and learn why each one means what it does. A lifelong Tarot reader and respected historian traces the spiritual origins of the cards, from Celtic mythology and Hebrew mysticism to renaissance theatrical productions and the stars and planets of astrology. Understand how past scholars considered the tarot and how that thinking has changed to make the tarot meaningful for todays readers."
He has a section on the History of Tarot, Holy Qabalah, Major Arcana and Zodiac, Four Grail Hallows, Minor Arcana, Major, Suits, Court, and contains reversed meanings also. Looks interesting, i just picked it up from the library and haven't read it yet, i'm weak on the Qabalah and this looked concise and interesting.

galadrial

For a Jungian perspective I like "The Tarot", by Alfred Douglas. Also, "Tarot as a Way of Life: A Jungian Approach to the Tarot", by Karen Hammaker-Zondag is a worthy read, though I don't find it as flexible.

ScarabFlight

I really enjoyed the Tarot Companion by Tracy Porter. There is a dictionary of symbols which I found really helpful. You can find out the symbolism of things like shellfish, pomegranates and salamanders. :D There are also sections on colors, numbers, timing, combinations, astrology, Cabala and others.

Some sections I use more than others. The symbol dictionary is my favorite. I like to know what the individual parts are so I can figure out the whole for myself. ;)

There are also card meanings with pictures of the Rider-Waite deck. It may be a bit basic, but for me that's where I am so that's ok. Many of the descriptions tie in with the actual card so you can see WHY that would be a possible meaning.

I hope this helped. :)