Need some book recommendations, please!

DeLani

And a great book is "Tarot for Yourself" by Mary K. Greer. I don't think it's too new-agey, it's a workbook to help you learn the cards and promote personal growth. She does have all the GD/Thoth correspondences in it, too. She talks about the tree of life (though not super in-depth). You should at least thumb through it to see if you'd like it. I find it a great reference.

tmgrl2

jmd said:
Part of the difficulty in properly answering your question is that it in turn depends on what your orientation is.

For example, I personally have not found Jungian-type oriented books very useful when it comes to better understanding the symbology of cards - though many others seem to actually prefer such orientation.

Likewise, if a book principally addresses the images and their meaning from a Golden Dawn perspective, I find this tells me more about the GD than about Tarot. But of course, for those who have such preference, then the descriptions are quite meaningfull.

It would probably help, for more 'targetted' suggestions, to have an idea as to what you may prefer.

As a general suggestion, I have yet to find a book comparable to R. O'Neill's Tarot Symbolism. Until it gets reprinted next year, however, it is very difficult to find.

Thanks, jmd...I found the bibliography you have here on AT very helpful...I also like Manley P. Halls' Secret Teachings of All Ages. I have had it for years...also covers most of topics I saw in your review for O'Neill's book, which by the way, I ordered from Amazon on an "if we can find a used one" basis....

From jmd's list, also, I got all three volumes of Encyclopedias of Tarot - Stuart R. Kaplan. Have a bunch of others...Bunning's, Greer's works, Pollack, Greer's Reversals and Court Cards...So far, no one book gives me what I really want, but each has given me something that I like in it as a reference....

terri

diane drizzy

The companion book to the deck you're using can be helpful. It often focuses on on art work and symbolism that's unique to that deck.

Another book I really like is The Complete Book of Tarot Spreads by Burger. Although this does not cover meanings I have found this to be one of my favorite books and the exercises very insightful.