Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews - Tarot Forum - Free Tarot Readings - Tarot Card Meanings - Tarot Spreads

Cartomancer, upcoming magazine

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media

Citizen

AJ 
Cartomancer, upcoming magazine

Put out by the folks that put on the first annual Pacific Northwest Tarot Symposium a few weeks ago.

http://thecartomancer.com/
Top   #1
Resident

cassildra 

This looks cool, but depending on the length of each issue, $10 is pretty expensive! I kind of wish it were like, $8, with $6 subscription rate.

Then again, I don't know anything about other, similar publication rates. I'm just saying that for me, that cost is prohibitive
Top   #2
One of the original 100 members

tarotbear 

How many issues a year ?????
Top   #3
Citizen

garmonbozia 

Yikes, there is a shipping charge on top of the magazine price. $4 in the US.

Tarotbear, it says it's quarterly.
Top   #4
Citizen

kalliope 

This looks interesting, thanks for the link! I agree that $10 feels a little pricey on first glance, but I think it's difficult to finance and sustain publications like these. A lot of regular fashion-type magazines are $6.99 at the newsstand these days, and their circulation is huge in comparison and they have a lot of advertising revenue. Journals usually command a higher price, and The Cartomancer classifies itself as a journal.

To compare with another esoteric/divinatory publication, The Mountain Astrologer is $42 for 6 yearly issues under subscription ($7 each), and I think $8 or $9 on the newsstand. So with that in mind, $10 (or $8) per issue for a startup cartomantic journal seems pretty fair if the content is substantial and high quality. But $3.99 for shipping seems steep to me. I'll be interested in the electronic versions when available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotbear View Post
How many issues a year ?????
The website said it's a quarterly, so four, I imagine.

ETA: cross-posted with garmonbozia!
Top   #5
One of the original 100 members

tarotbear 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Tarotbear, it says it's quarterly.
I'm glad you people can see it; I've been through everything twice and find all sorts of info but nothing says 'Quarterly' at me!

$40 a year plus whatever is a lot of money to take a chance on ...
Top   #6
Citizen

kalliope 

Yeah, they don't put it in the obvious places, like in the subscription section, and they don't mention a number of issues. It's only mentioned in passing in the subheading & the header image:

"The Cartomancer: A Quarterly Tarot, Lenormand, & Oracle Journal"
"Welcome to the Quarterly Tarot, Lenormand, and Oracle Journal"

But man, it's very expensive for a year -- It's basically $48 in total! (I added the subscription to my cart.)
Top   #7

Babalon Jones 

I wonder how much content there will be, and if it will be scholarly, esoteric, or more "lite" reading.
Top   #8
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 

By way of comparison, I got the Mountain Astrologer magazine for a couple of years. It's $42/year (unless it has gone up since), but it is also often over 100 pages of content and is highly-regarded as a valuable source of current astrological thought. For me, that would be the "gold standard" for this sort of endeavor.
Top   #9
Citizen

kalliope 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babalon Jones View Post
I wonder how much content there will be, and if it will be scholarly, esoteric, or more "lite" reading.
Yes, me too. "Journal" implies something more scholarly than an easy-breezy magazine, but it's hard to know if it's an accurate naming choice. I hope that once they've finalized the content they post the table of contents on the site so we can judge a little better. I'd like a nice mixture myself: in depth esoteric, scholarly, or historical articles balanced by an article on practical methods or techniques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
By way of comparison, I got the Mountain Astrologer magazine for a couple of years. It's $42/year (unless it has gone up since), but it is also often over 100 pages of content and is highly-regarded as a valuable source of current astrological thought. For me, that would be the "gold standard" for this sort of endeavor.
I made the same comparison! While I know what you mean about using it as a gold standard, I think the fact that we both thought of it kind of implies it's one of the only standards we've got going, heh.
Top   #10

More interesting threads on the Aeclectic Tarot Forum...

Elsewhere on Aeclectic Tarot
· Tarot Cards & Reviews
· Free Tarot Readings
· What's New
· Tarot Card Meanings

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2021 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.