smelling garlics during a cleansing bath??

ivanna

I took a consecrated bath today and I smellt garlics. Considering that nothing in the bathroom smelt like garlics, should I assume that the bath made it work? I have read that the oxide arsenic smell like garlics.... otherwise I don't know to what can be related the garlic smell

Milfoil

Sometimes Iron dissolved in the water can react with acids to smell like garlic. Was there any acid (citrus, vinegar??) in the cleansing bath?

tarotbear

It sounds like an olfactory hallucination! But it could be a combination of hot water dissolving the molecular structure of one of the components, along with something contained in the water (such as a high iron or sulfur content) causing a minor chemical reaction that to you smelled of garlic...it is possible that someone else who smelled it at the same time could smell it as something else...the sense of smell is a very personalized thing and no two people smell the exact same thing the same way.

Personal question you do not have to answer - once you took the cleansing bath - did you still smell garlic, or did you smell of garlic when you dried off?

ivanna

The barthroom was just cleaned, the salt was a new packet just opened and the smell was just at the water level. I could smell.it only if I was with my nose by the water, If I got up, I couldnt smell it. It was very subtle and after the bath, nothing. The water in the building cames decalcified, if this is the right word. Sorry

tarotbear

Not a doctor here - but realistically something in the salts reacted with the water - possibly even the temperature of the water breaking the salts down - and your brain made you 'smell' the closest thing that came close and it happened to be garlic.

Looking online it says that the smell/odor of garlic is mostly sulfur, and wisegeek.com lists this under powdered sulfur:

Cosmetic and Topical Uses

The powder can be purchased in its pure form and mixed with cream or bought as a ready-to-use ointment to put directly on the skin, usually for the treatment of acne, dry skin, or eczema. Traditional Chinese medicine has incorporated the powder into a number of topical skin treatments for centuries, including use as a mask believed to pull impurities out of the skin on the face, particularly the sensitive area around the eyes. The powder is also an ingredient in many over-the-counter acne solutions and facial scrubs.

ivanna

Ok. I see. You googled better than me. I did that but only found that the garlic smell can be related to oxide-something. What I didn't found was yhe the link with the cosmetic treatments.
Maybe it was something on my body lotion. I'm going to check it. Thanks