Tarot Pink

Cocobird55

Mine arrived today. The cards weren't in any sort of order, which is annoying. The bag is way to small -- maybe good for a Lenormand.

I liked some of the art -- I thought Ciro's Magician was outstanding. But the ads on the bottom just made me irritated.

Still, it's for a good cause... and I don't regret buying it. I will just have to find a bag for it.

donnalee

BY GAWD, YOU WERE ALL CORRECT! Huh--the sound you hear from me is scissors cutting off the spamtastic bottoms of the cards, which then gives the deck a chance to *maybe* fit in the bag...

Sadly, the spampromowebsite crap on the bottom front makes them look, to me, like free business cards for the individuals, and not like a real deck--oh well. *snip snip trim* I'll try them later after I trim them to be like real tarot cards to me.

donnalee

...but I must say that I LOVE some of the cards, much more than I expected to: check out Donnaleigh's seven of swords, for one...very inventive and thought-provoking to me.

rwcarter

BY GAWD, YOU WERE ALL CORRECT! Huh--the sound you hear from me is scissors cutting off the spamtastic bottoms of the cards, which then gives the deck a chance to *maybe* fit in the bag...

Sadly, the spampromowebsite crap on the bottom front makes them look, to me, like free business cards for the individuals, and not like a real deck--oh well. *snip snip trim* I'll try them later after I trim them to be like real tarot cards to me.
Please post some pics when you're done! My deck hasn't arrived yet, but I'd love to see the transformation that occurs when freeing the images from all the useless crap that got added to them.

And in the "No good deed goes unpunished" camp, I just checked and I tried to do a good thing by getting the two-pack of decks. So I got doubly screwed! :mad:

Rodney

MissChiff

Mine were in the post today too.....

truelighth

Got my deck in the mail yesterday. No box for the deck, but there was a bag (that was too small for the cards). The cards do not have the meanings on the bottom border, but list the artist and his/her works. I'm speechless.

Ugh, it is worse then I thought. That is something that really doesn't belong on the cards, but should be in a LWB. Why list the artist's works on a card? :(

gregory

I hope - after that rather dismissive post that addressed none of our concerns - Hexi, who seems to be the deck's spokesperson here - is reading this thread. Because however one's eyes may be "drawn" to the image - she must now know that at least one of the artists is as appalled as we are.

donnalee

my trimmed version of tarot Pink!

I did trim the spamtastic stuff off, and really like the results. Yes, the backs are not symmetrical so reversals would have to be with eyes closed, but that doesn't bother me. I did my usual personal-amateurish job with regular scissors, but here is what some of them look like.

Attachments

• trimmed tarot pink.jpg
    trimmed tarot pink.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 134

donnalee

When trimmed like I did to my deck, they sort of fit into the grey bag if put in a few at a time, and if you leave out the booklet with its reversed hash of majors--at least they fit cleanly into the plastic bag! I was also a little surprised to see that one person did all the queens, or at least the three I have seen so far, and I will have to scan through the cards more to see if there are other patterns. In general, the deck is fine to me now, after trimming, although I may have to stare at the queen of coins some more to really get how the visual conveys what the LWB says--

sacredashes

I can only speak for myself, and I can say with all honesty, the artists are involved for the cause alone. We didn't do it for the money, nor for the advertising. The notion of putting the artist bio on the cards were informed to us pretty close to the completion date and we supported Ron all the way.

Having said that, I understand this is a tarot deck and having a LWB to explain each card would have been a more practical (?) and traditional (?) approach. However, being involved in the group discussion, I was constantly updated by Ron on the decisions he had to make. There was not enough crowd funding support to go with the initial size of the cards as intended. He came to the artists and gave us the figures and showed us the options he had.

It would not have been fair to have him fork out the excess required to print the cards as advertised in the beginning. This was a charity project; a percentage of whatever excess after production cost would be donated to the Breast Cancer Foundation. Was it The Fool card throwing Murphy's Law back in our faces? Maybe. Was it unfair to those who backed the project financially on the crowd funding site based on early information given? Definately, based on the feedback I have seen here. It's no excuse, it's an explaination which I felt would help those who supported the cause and the project understand the process of what happened.

The artists backed this project by donating artwork and some even bought the deck themselves. I am truly sorry to hear that the layout of the cards did not meet expectations, and that the cards were fugly because of that.

I do know based on the discussion in the group chat Ron set up for the artists that a lot of thought went into each card, in terms of symbolism and messages the artists hope to share in support of the cause. It is a deck for healing and for hope. Please keep it that way even if the layout or the size of the cards had to be compromised. It was a chose between not getting it out there at all or compromising the card size and publication layout to ensure the deck gets published.

It is unfair to ask any of the members here to not attack Ron or his team but in truth, he had hard choices to make and he made them so that those who did back the crowd funding project didn't walk away with nothing. If anything, it is a collaboration project and anyone who has ever participated in those here or elsewhere would know, when the deck is done and the artists or participants get a copy of the printed deck, it would not be the same as buying a deck off the shelves from any one individual deck creator. These deck are like a patchwork or sorts but they have their own quirky charm even if they don't make it as your or my everyday reading deck. :)

Thank you for reading this. It's sent from my phone so expect a lot of typos because iPhone is just awesome that way

Ash