Pet peeves

khatsar

Oh, wow. I am suuuuch a Luddite. I don't even know what pansexual means...! But, I don't mind at all, if that is what you are! ;) You go! Be happy :)

It's easier to do that when people aren't sniping among themselves about how people who use these words are silly oversensitive prats. Lol. Well, I'm used to it at least. I am glad to come from a culture where these identities are celebrated and the whole "scary change" thing isn't an issue.

Padma

I don't mind the terms. :) Celebrate yourself, as well you should! :love: and have a happy life :)

prudence

I identify as pansexual. I've never debated anyone, straight or otherwise about it...lol. I must not hang out with these people y'all are talking about. I'm in my late 20s and my close friends range from from 21-55...

I don't care who "understands" my orientation the same way I don't care who understands why I read cards.

Head on over to Huffington Post comments section and you will find all manner of arguing about these yes, micro-self-identifications. I've always thought of myself as bi, and haven't ever felt the need to inspect that aspect of myself in such fine detail as to describe it as something more acutely detailed, so I guess I just don't get it. But I am much older than you and so maybe I am just going with the flow of our old dinosaur distinctions between sexual preferences.

khatsar

Head on over to Huffington Post comments section and you will find all manner of arguing about these yes, micro-self-identifications. I've always thought of myself as bi, and haven't ever felt the need to inspect that aspect of myself in such fine detail as to describe it as something more acutely detailed, so I guess I just don't get it. But I am much older than you and so maybe I am just going with the flow of our old dinosaur distinctions between sexual preferences.

Oh, I don't read that kind of stuff. Comment sections on major news outlets are a bad idea in general. People will literally argue about ANYTHING...war, patriotism, sex, whatever. And they're hateful too. Bunch of keyboard warriors. Other than AT I prefer most of my discussions to occur in real life with people I respect. [emoji4] I know plenty of people of all ages that identify as bisexual. You're not a dinosaur lol. One of my closest friends is a bisexual grandmother and she gets way more ass than I do LOL

crystalrose

I identify as pansexual. I've never debated anyone, straight or otherwise about it...lol. I must not hang out with these people y'all are talking about. I'm in my late 20s and my close friends range from from 21-55...

I don't care who "understands" my orientation the same way I don't care who understands why I read cards.

My bad if I said anything abrasive, I didn't mean to offend! You are lucky you've never had to debate it and you have a cool attitude. I've participated in a discussion in mixed company (ages 20s - 60) where pansexuality came up and the person explaining just got defensive and couldn't explain clearly and the talk went in circles. Now that I've actually gone and looked it up, it makes more sense. But at the time, I was like huh??

prudence

Oh, I don't read that kind of stuff. Comment sections on major news outlets are a bad idea in general. People will literally argue about ANYTHING...war, patriotism, sex, whatever. And they're hateful too. Bunch of keyboard warriors. Other than AT I prefer most of my discussions to occur in real life with people I respect. [emoji4] I know plenty of people of all ages that identify as bisexual. You're not a dinosaur lol.
I was at a large music festival this summer and this subject came up. I'm talking to major hippies, proogressives, thinking outside the box folks...and when I told them about these new designations they were utterly annoyed, baffled and just didn't get it. These are seriously very very open minded folks, they were mainly annoyed and confused at the fine lines drawn between certain sexual preferences and gender identifications. I did bring up pan sexual. What makes me any different from you? I can be attracted to and fall in love with a person, any person, regardless of their gender at birth.

khatsar

I was at a large music festival this summer and this subject came up. I'm talking to major hippies, proogressives, thinking outside the box folks...and when I told them about these new designations they were utterly annoyed, baffled and just didn't get it. These are seriously very very open minded folks, they were mainly annoyed and confused at the fine lines drawn between certain sexual preferences and gender identifications. I did bring up pan sexual. What makes me any different from you? I can be attracted to and fall in love with a person, any person, regardless of their gender at birth.

I'm sorry they didn't get it. I don't go to a lot of music festivals so I don't know those crowds. Some people use "pan" because it is inclusive of people who don't fit into the gender binary. The prefix "bi" means two, so some people don't like to use it. Again...everyone I have talked to has gotten the distinction or at least not been too bothered by it. I try to remember that the "fine lines" are not so fine to those who live them, and my being confused for five seconds isn't that big a deal to me. Again, people have been nothing but nice to me when explaining this stuff. My community is very open and inviting to everyone. I guess I'm just lucky. [emoji4]

khatsar

My bad if I said anything abrasive, I didn't mean to offend! You are lucky you've never had to debate it and you have a cool attitude. I've participated in a discussion in mixed company (ages 20s - 60) where pansexuality came up and the person explaining just got defensive and couldn't explain clearly and the talk went in circles. Now that I've actually gone and looked it up, it makes more sense. But at the time, I was like huh??

No worries, doll. Yeah I can see how it'd be frustrating to discuss this with certain people. The Internet is a wonderful thing! When I made my first transgender friends I spent a lot of time reading, for sure....

prudence

I'm sorry they didn't get it. I don't go to a lot of music festivals so I don't know those crowds. Some people use "pan" because it is inclusive of people who don't fit into the gender binary. The prefix "bi" means two, so some people don't like to use it. Again...everyone I have talked to has gotten the distinction or at least not been too bothered by it. I try to remember that the "fine lines" are not so fine to those who live them, and my being confused for five seconds isn't that big a deal to me. Again, people have been nothing but nice to me when explaining this stuff. My community is very open and inviting to everyone. I guess I'm just lucky. [emoji4]

My point was that even the most progressive, liberal and open minded people in the world will get a bit annoyed at this kind of micro-self identification. Because at times it does get absurd, and it does get overly involved in minutiae.