Pet peeves

khatsar

My point was that even the most progressive, liberal and open minded people in the world will get a bit annoyed at this kind of micro-self identification. Because at times it does get absurd, and it does get overly involved in minutiae.

I respect that that's your opinion. I feel that the standard of what constitutes minutiae tends to vary depending on who you're talking to. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

BTW I've always wanted to tell you that I love your avatar lol. I keep forgetting to catch the new season on Netflix...

crystalrose

Head on over to Huffington Post comments section and you will find all manner of arguing about these yes, micro-self-identifications. I've always thought of myself as bi, and haven't ever felt the need to inspect that aspect of myself in such fine detail as to describe it as something more acutely detailed, so I guess I just don't get it. But I am much older than you and so maybe I am just going with the flow of our old dinosaur distinctions between sexual preferences.

Same here. It's not b/c you're older... I'm bi, and don't feel a need to analyze or label it much... I like men & I like women, sometimes I prefer one over the other. It's not a huge part of my identity that I feel passionate about. But I understand some people are for very personal reasons, and that's fine too.

HallowedNight

Usually online, I will volunteer the gender and nature of the relationship of someone I'm asking about anyway, to avoid confusion and people making assumptions.... which sometimes they annoyingly make anyway when I do volunteer info b/c they have some preconceived notions about male/female relationships.

This is one of the biggest tarot pet peeves I have; people making assumptions instead of just reading the cards, especially relating to genders (as that seems to be the hot topic around here for some reason). It's really annoying when a reader just assumes that if you're a guy you're looking for a girl and if you're a girl you're looking for a guy. Of course, if the querent has something specific in mind, mentioning it beforehand (especially for a romance reading) would greatly lessen the chances of a misunderstanding. It's all about communication!

I identify as genderfluid, meaning I sit between and slide back and forth between genders. I don't care what gender people assume me to be, so when someone asks (whether online or in person), my answer is literally "I don't care" or "it doesn't matter." So in a reading, I don't specify my own gender because it really just doesn't matter, and it really doesn't come up that often in readings anyway. I don't know what people who say they need gender to do a reading would do with that, but I would hope that we could just communicate and work something out.

Ultimately, a tarot reading should be an exchange between two people. Readers and querents can talk to each other and work things out to get the best out of a reading. If I was getting a reading from someone who really wanted my gender, I'd probably just pick whatever I'm feeling that day and compromise to help the reader. Likewise, a reader can try to remain openminded about stereotypes and listen to the querent's commentary to help improve their reading. Like some people have mentioned, times are changing, and everyone has different opinions about everything, so, everything non-tarot-related aside, all we can do as querents and readers is to communicate and work together to help everyone improve their skills and have fun. That's what its all about, after all! :D

prudence

I respect that that's your opinion. I feel that the standard of what constitutes minutiae tends to vary depending on who you're talking to. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

BTW I've always wanted to tell you that I love your avatar lol. I keep forgetting to catch the new season on Netflix...

Thanks on both counts. As the older lady who is convinced she knows better than you, I do hold on to the hope that in 10 or 15 years you will see things the way I've described them and you may even agree with my perception. ;)

As far as Portlandia is concerned, umm, any show that depicts a feminist bookstore with the name "Women and Women First" and features Kyle MacLachlan as the mayor of Portland is huge in my book. I love that show more than anyone might possibly imagine. ;)

Brilliance

Well to be honest a lot of it is just special snowflakeism too. I mean if you are in a female body and you don't actually have a problem with it then whats the big deal in being referred to as 'she'?

So true... A lot of people with gender identity issues expect the rest of the world to adapt to them. Call me old fashioned, but I was born to be a female and I very much enjoy being one, so obviously I prefer to be referred as "she".

khatsar

I was taught to live and let live. People have meltdowns about oversensitivity and political correctness gone awry, but I haven't had any bad personal results from trying to become more compassionate and trying to educate myself. Someone telling me their pronoun or identity is hardly the same thing as trying to take over my life or stopping me from identifying as female. I care a lot about this topic because I have a lot of loved ones who fall into the groups mentioned. They've never been anything but kind to me, they've been there for me when other people were nowhere to be found, they're very educated and peaceful people and it's weird to see them compared to internet trolls and having snowflake complexes and such when they have to worry about some very serious things on a daily basis. [emoji53] Peace to you all

Barleywine

Maybe that has more to do with teenagers being teenagers than anything else. I remember being that age and people would go to war over what kind of punk they were LOL. Kids love labels at that age...it's part of adolescence I think.

I think that's only part of the story. Many college professors, politicians and celebrities are pushing their own sociopolitical agendas on the kids. Often, those agendas are intentionally divisive rather than unifying.

Brilliance

My pet peeves

My pet peeves:

1. Older readers that look down on young/younger ones. I am not saying all of them do, but the ones that do are really arrogant. Just because you got 30 years of Tarot experience and spent 2 years studying each card, does not make you a 'better' Tarot reader. Plus, maturity has nothing to do with age.

2. People that bring up Kabbalah all the time and refuse to ackowledge that the Golden Dawn is not the one and only true system. When let's say someone happens to use their astrological knowledge, they might notice that a bunch of Major Arcana cards don't fit their supposed equivalent astrological zodiac sign or planet. But then GD fans jump down their throat and fight tooth and nail to justify their truth: "Just because in Kabbalah this and that letter..." In my opinion, the astrological associations are there to actually FIT. They help me greatly when studying Tarot.

3. People that refuse to think intuitively. Reading 120 books about Tarot and parroting what other Tarot teachers/gurus say won't make you original.

4. People that read Tarot cards for money. Seriously? The world revolves around money anyway. I see spiritual areas of life as sort of an escape from this. Money and giving spiritual advice doesn't fit together. It is hard to explain, but it just doesn't - at least to me.

5. People that try to portray every each card as 'positive'. No, the 3 of Swords and 10 of Swords (heck the whole suit of Swords :D) are not all rainbows and butterflies.

6. People that pull 12345 "clarifiers" until they see the desired card. - No comment.

Padma

6. People that pull 12345 "clarifiers" until they see the desired card. - No comment.

:laugh: Yes, I know what you mean! It makes me personally feel that if they need that many so called clarifiers, then they cannot understand the way the cards speak at all...!

And yes, it rather does look like they are just trying to force the cards to agree with them - a sad delusion all around.

AmethystEyes

I find it annoying when people pull like 10 cards with no spread. There is so much going on you can pretty much make it whatever you want! Where is the focus??