Pet peeves

Barleywine

So you can filter out the succubi who just want to ask everyone the same question, or those whom you know give poor feedback/exchanges.

Succubi! :D :D :D Love it! Another way to filter out the "succubi" (once you gat a positive ID on them) is to use the "ignore" function in the User CP.

rwcarter

My main peeve actually comes from doing exchanges on this site. The amount of times I put my all into a reading only to receive back some half arsed attempt and then get flooded with a bunch of requests to please read umteen times the same question that has already been posted in several other threads.

I won't do exchanges here anymore because of this. I don't think I've received many useful readings in my exchanges and a lot of the time feedback is pretty poor too, if you get it at all. I'm so done here actually.
In addition to what Padma said, you can plainly state in your opening post that you won't read for anyone who's had a reading exchange done in X period of time or that you'll only do exchanges (whether for feedback or readings) with those who have given exchanges in the past Y period. Let the succubi know up front that you're not having it and if they still post asking for a reading, you can point out that you won't read for them because they don't meet the qualifications you set forth.

Rodney

junethird

My main peeve actually comes from doing exchanges on this site. The amount of times I put my all into a reading only to receive back some half arsed attempt and then get flooded with a bunch of requests to please read umteen times the same question that has already been posted in several other threads.

I won't do exchanges here anymore because of this. I don't think I've received many useful readings in my exchanges and a lot of the time feedback is pretty poor too, if you get it at all. I'm so done here actually.

Like everyone else has suggested. Rules on your exchange thread. I have a rotating set of rules. It works and you can focus better on doing and reciving quality exchanges! Just ignore the ones who protest your rules. The ignore button is effective!

SwordOfTruth

I was going to say same as Bridget - use the monthly learning exchanges, that have a host who supervises things, such as the DDT (Dark Deck Truths) COS (Circle of Stones) and ISG (intuitive reading circle) They are fun, and usually the exchange is meaty and satisfying. The host of the circle does check in to make sure all are playing by the rules :)

Short of that, if you read the rules in any of the subforums that feature exchanges, you are allowed to refuse people who request a reading, I don't know if you were aware of that. You can choose who sits. :) So you can filter out the succubi who just want to ask everyone the same question, or those whom you know give poor feedback/exchanges.

You are also encouraged to contact a moderator if the feedback is poor, or if you received none at all, or just "thank you". ;)

This may make for more pleasant exchanges!

Thanks, I did look at the reading circles but there's only one I could participate in as I don't have the required decks for the others. I was going to sign up but noticed last signup was almost 2yrs ago so wondered if its still in operation.

I think it's the insta-generation that really put me off. They just give the impression if they don't get their reading in 5mins then they're off asking someone else because they can't possibly wait and won't give your reading the attention it deserves anyway. These are usually the people that never return to give feedback (its not really about learning for me but acknowledgement and basic politeness). There have been a some people who've done fair exchanges with me but most of the ones there have the attention span of a goldfish.

emilygrace

They just give the impression if they don't get their reading in 5mins then they're off asking someone else because they can't possibly wait and won't give your reading the attention it deserves anyway. These are usually the people that never return to give feedback (its not really about learning for me but acknowledgement and basic politeness). There have been a some people who've done fair exchanges with me but most of the ones there have the attention span of a goldfish.

You're an excellent reader, SwordofTruth! I'm sorry you've had to deal with this, and I hope that you liked the exchange that we had. I have the same issue as you do, and it's also why I rarely open exchanges, and why there are certain users who I try to avoid exchanging with (they will not be named) because they have a pattern of doing this stuff to everyone. This is something wraithklewn and I talk about all the time. Now, sometimes people just forget and then come back later, and I can be forgiving in that case. I have a bad habit of sometimes forgetting myself, but it's rare and when it does happen it's purely accidental.

But I'll also add how at least 60% of the readings I get on this site are WAY off the mark (not yours- yours was accurate), and anytime I point it out to them (nicely), the readers get angry and argue with me, insisting that they're absolutely, infallibly right. This is a learning forum, and no reader gets it right every time, including me! Suck it up, deal with it, and use it to make you a better reader in the future (not you personally- I have others in mind).

I also think that the issue with these people who constantly ask the same stuff is that they ask until they get the answer that they want- but then they get addicted to asking and it continues in a cycle. This becomes problematic because oftentimes when you ask the same thing too much, the results aren't even accurate after a certain point, whether it's a positive or negative reading. I'm always wary of readings that are way too positive, but I'm also wary about the readings that are extremely negative (since some people on this site seem to like giving negative readings, likely to make themselves feel better about their problems).

LeFou

1. The idea that we should choose the cards instead of the querent. "I don't want people getting their stank mojo on my cards." But didn't they get their mojo in your aura? Didn't it get in the air, the chair, the table, the doorknob, the tip jar? :)

2. 6 of Cups in the future position of a romance reading -- "Sorry, it's over because that card means the past." Really? So your future is to be stuck in the past -- um, okay, so what's the special card for the future? What's the card for being stuck in the present?

3. Lovers in a romance reading -- "You'll have to make a choice." Um, really? Lovers isn't all the romantic, erotic, sexy things? It's not all those "quiet storm" songs of longing on the radio, it's just a stupid boring choice? So what does the Goddess of Love do all day? Paperwork?

4. In Your Readings, sometimes we "mike drop" a negative reading, followed by "Sorry." It seems very presumptuous, like "I nailed it, your future sux, deal with it, haterz." Where's the humility?

5. The cards speak on exactly one level, and it's limited to the question. Really? Two things can't go on at the same time? I know we have to focus, but Tarot can't change the topic?

6. Temperance means balance. OMG, how many balance cards are we going to have?! What happened to alchemy? :)

Kgirl

1. The idea that we should choose the cards instead of the querent. "I don't want people getting their stank mojo on my cards." But didn't they get their mojo in your aura? Didn't it get in the air, the chair, the table, the doorknob, the tip jar? :)

2. 6 of Cups in the future position of a romance reading -- "Sorry, it's over because that card means the past." Really? So your future is to be stuck in the past -- um, okay, so what's the special card for the future? What's the card for being stuck in the present?

3. Lovers in a romance reading -- "You'll have to make a choice." Um, really? Lovers isn't all the romantic, erotic, sexy things? It's not all those "quiet storm" songs of longing on the radio, it's just a stupid boring choice? So what does the Goddess of Love do all day? Paperwork?

4. In Your Readings, sometimes we "mike drop" a negative reading, followed by "Sorry." It seems very presumptuous, like "I nailed it, your future sux, deal with it, haterz." Where's the humility?

5. The cards speak on exactly one level, and it's limited to the question. Really? Two things can't go on at the same time? I know we have to focus, but Tarot can't change the topic?

6. Temperance means balance. OMG, how many balance cards are we going to have?! What happened to alchemy? :)

LOL I love this!! All of this!

Yes limiting Lovers card like that really annoys me ... it's not even about that to me. It's many many more things!

BrightEye

I think it's the insta-generation that really put me off. They just give the impression if they don't get their reading in 5mins then they're off asking someone else because they can't possibly wait and won't give your reading the attention it deserves anyway. These are usually the people that never return to give feedback (its not really about learning for me but acknowledgement and basic politeness). There have been a some people who've done fair exchanges with me but most of the ones there have the attention span of a goldfish.

I had this sort of experience once with one of my automatic drawings threads in Divination. Those drawings and readings take time and are not done in five minutes. You have to sleep at least once before you have your reading. And about a third of the sitters in that one thread never came back. It was very frustrating. The other threads in which I offered those drawings were smashing, but that one still bothers me.

Padma

There have been a some people who've done fair exchanges with me but most of the ones there have the attention span of a goldfish.

:laugh: too true, and too funny!

Please do at least try the ISG - it is loads of fun, and very instructive. It allows your tarot and your powers of observation a real run for the money!

Love the Goddess of love doing paperwork! That did make me laugh! ;) I would add though it isn't a stupid, boring choice - more like a life-changing, watershed one...stupid, boring choices are filed under the Two of Swords. :joke: Your point is well-taken, though.

It can and it does, but that is hard to inject that into a basic "your readings" type of question...you could still suggest it, though!

Again...hard to inject alchemy into "why isn't he calling me?" imo... But you could try, and see what happens!

Great list, LeFou :)

I had this sort of experience once with one of my automatic drawings threads in Divination. Those drawings and readings take time and are not done in five minutes. You have to sleep at least once before you have your reading. And about a third of the sitters in that one thread never came back. It was very frustrating. The other threads in which I offered those drawings were smashing, but that one still bothers me.

That is a shame. You always put so much effort into those, so it must be extra disappointing, BrightEye...

danieljuk

Maybe she is not a native English speaker?

Sadly she is British! I reread my reading and there is lots of "hte"'s and other really easy mistakes to read if she read through the reading. To me it looks sloppy and like she did it in 5 mins without paying much attention to it.

I know lot's of people have problems with spelling and grammar and some people have dyslexia and I am not a language nazi. People can make their point in the way they can. But if you pay for a reading, you don't expect such sloppiness! I couldn't charge money for something which has not been read before posting. Again it looks rushed rather than poor English :(

BrightEye, just remember your readings are most appreciated! Yes the exchanges do seem to draw in the instant culture and people asking the same questions but you can make rules to carefully filter those people out! You can make people wait as long as it takes for you to do the readings. We are in control and ask for what we want because we are offering our time, skills and cards to others for their feedback!

Also remember everyone, if you don't get feedback which is helpful to you, you can pm a moderator in that exchange area and they won't say you contacted them in the thread. There is also a useful guide to feedback and tips here and this thread - Thank you is not feedback. You are allowed to refuse to read for anyone you want sitting for you, it's all the readers choice.

Yes there is perils of exchanging but I think we have to make the exchanges work for us. We have to structure it to get back from the sitter, what they are getting from us :)