Honoring the date of someone's passing

MissNine

My sister passed away over a decade ago. She would come to me in dreams and have messages for my family. Now there's a distance and she can't seem to reach me as well.

Does anyone who is a medium do something special to strengthen connections with passed on loved ones on the day of their death? I can go to be cemetery. By not sure if I should bring flowers or a food item. Someone told me I'm supposed to bring food to "share" with her. Anyone heard of this?

Any ideas?

Starshower

deleted, sorry.

Milfoil

My sister passed away over a decade ago. She would come to me in dreams and have messages for my family. Now there's a distance and she can't seem to reach me as well.

Does anyone who is a medium do something special to strengthen connections with passed on loved ones on the day of their death? I can go to be cemetery. By not sure if I should bring flowers or a food item. Someone told me I'm supposed to bring food to "share" with her. Anyone heard of this?

Any ideas?

In many, many cultures the ancestors are honoured at certain times of year (equinoxes or thereabouts, because those times are special as times of equal day and night and also as symbolic tipping points) on the anniversary of their death (as a tribute to them in the memory of those still living) and at other times when necessary as a means of contacting them for help and advice.

There are cultural differences of course but most involve setting aside a special place which is cleaned and prepared, offering lots of food and drink, songs and dance, rhythm, drumming, prayers and ceremony. In this way the ancestors are invited to a feast in their honour and the connection is made.

Did your sister have a favourite food or drink that you could offer? What was her favourite music? Do you have a photo of her, items which were precious to her etc which you could place on the altar?

I hope this helps.

BTW, some prescription medications can interfere with spirit communication - just something to bear in mind.

:)

MissNine

In many, many cultures the ancestors are honoured at certain times of year (equinoxes or thereabouts, because those times are special as times of equal day and night and also as symbolic tipping points) on the anniversary of their death (as a tribute to them in the memory of those still living) and at other times when necessary as a means of contacting them for help and advice.

There are cultural differences of course but most involve setting aside a special place which is cleaned and prepared, offering lots of food and drink, songs and dance, rhythm, drumming, prayers and ceremony. In this way the ancestors are invited to a feast in their honour and the connection is made.

Did your sister have a favourite food or drink that you could offer? What was her favourite music? Do you have a photo of her, items which were precious to her etc which you could place on the altar?

I hope this helps.

BTW, some prescription medications can interfere with spirit communication - just something to bear in mind.

:)

Hi and thank you for commenting. :)
You raised a great point about the medication. I've been on antibiotics and sedating stuff for my recurring hives and maybe that's why she couldn't reach me. Last week, she made a come back!

In answer to your questions (this brings back great memories)

My sister actually is up high. Her ashes are in the wall.

Food: hmm.well rolled tacos with guacamole. I can't fit that in the flower holder I put on the wall. Since she died, I'd half my stick of wrigleys polar ice gum and put it in the holder with the flowers. She'd always chew that and always half the stick.

Favorite music: that would be Prince. But she did like Bob Marley too. :)

In my moms culture, they go to the cemetery on the date of death each year and light a candle at the grave. Looks really cool on All Souls' Day too.