Your Favorite Underrated Deck...

frelkins

my underrated deck: tarot obscura.

Alan Ross

My favorite underrated deck is the Sasha Fenton Tarot. The artwork is colorful and charming. The deck has a gentle spirit and no nudity, so it can be used to read for a variety of querents, including children. The major arcana and courts are conventional while the minor arcana uses pips with design elements that provide clues to interpretation on many of the cards. The cardstock is rather cheap and thin, but the size of the deck is perfect for small hands and the deck fits easily into a pocket or purse. The deck comes bundled with a small hardback companion book that's pretty decent.

Sulis

I really like the Shasha Fenton too for the very reasons that Alan has given.

My favorite underrated deck has to be The Stone Tarot by Allison Stone: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/stone/
It's a wonderful deck and an excellent reading deck, especially if you use colour symbolism in your readings.
The minors don't have people on them but they are illustrated.
It's self published but very affordable.
Great deck :)

MeeWah

Another vote for the Sasha Fenton, my first deck from many years ago with 'non-illustrated' pips. I was drawn to its bright colours & imagery. & agree it suitable for all kinds of querents, too.

It inspired the initial interest in the Marseilles tradition.

shemsu sutekh

One of my fave decks that I own is The Unicorn Tarot, which I understand to have gotten very bad reviews. I'm not sure why, but I get some of the most in depth, accurate readings from it, and I love it so much!!

I'm thinking that it's because I've had it ever since I was 15...it's been with me a long time.

shadowdancer

I would have to say the Bright Ideas deck. If impressions were made on the basis of seeing a couple of scans I can understand that there may be a view it is not a good reading deck. In fact it has a lot of depth and I love taking it to work as something I can be seen at my desk with and not draw too many strange looks

Davina

Nimue

World Spirit Tarot. Not sure if it's really underrated but I have yet to come across anyone who uses this deck regularly. The World Spirit Tarot was the first deck that opened up my Tarot voice. I am a deep admiration for the time consuming process the artist went through creating each card. I love the vivid colors and the fact that the people on the cards are all shapes, sizes, cultures, and colors. It's such a positive and affirming deck. At first glance, it's simple but then as you look at the images you find all of these fascinating little details.

It's one of my favorites.

Jewel

laura_borealis said:
I am thinking that the Cosmic Tribe may be my favorite underrated deck. (I know it's not to everyone's taste.) But I just got my deck, so I'm still absorbing the sibylline impact of all those colors and lotuses and cosmic Tralfamadorian eyes. :D
This is a post from 2004, I just had to quote it. My vote also goes for the Cosmic Tribe. It has been one of my primary reading decks for about 5 years or so. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a great deck! First deck to have 3 Lovers cards too! (male/female, male/male, and female/female)

Scion

Totally agree Jewel! It's a stunner.

A beautiful, resonant Thoth clone. And for the right querent just seeing the images against each other can have an enormous impact.

X
S

Jewel

Scion said:
Totally agree Jewel! It's a stunner.

A beautiful, resonant Thoth clone. And for the right querent just seeing the images against each other can have an enormous impact.
Same applies to the right reader!!! *LOL* I NEVER expected to like the Cosmic Tribe (much less LOVE it), just got it for the novelty of the 3 Lovers cards (I collected decks at the time). But when I opened it, and started looking through the cards and they just screamed meaning at me I was just shocked!!! I would NEVER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS trade my Cosmic Tribe (either copy of it *LOL*). I love my "Nekid People" deck :D