Your Favorite Underrated Deck...

Lee

galadrial said:
Tarot of the Cat People [...] and I even liked the two books that Andre Norton wrote based on the deck, "The Mark of the Cat", and it's sequel, "The Year of the Rat".
Hi galadriel, can you tell us any more about this? I like this deck and never knew that Andre Norton wrote books about it... how fascinating!

-- Lee

galadrial

Hi Lee,

as you know if you have it, the accompanying book, subtitled "A Traveler's Report", takes the viewpoint of a visitor to another planet which has a large area called the Outer Regions (a place much like the Arizonan desert Ms. Kuydendall obviously loved). The Outer Regions are peopled by five Kingdoms, which on the cards are represented on the four suits and the Majors. The Report goes into some detail as to how the people of the different kingdoms live, how they are governed, what they wear, recreation, etc., and, of course, thier relationship with cats. Ms. Norton's novels have nothing to do with Tarot (though a bit to do with magic), but take a Fairytale type coming of age story and set it charmingly in Ms. Kuykendall's world. When I say Fairytale type, I mean it in the same sense as that of the first three Star Wars movies. The undying archtypes presented in a fresh way- predictable, but satisfying, suitable for a wide age range, and with an interesting writing style. I was enchanted. Note: The sequel was written several years after the first book and is not available seperately, but only bound with the first book.

Lee

Thanks, galadrial! I'm going to try to find those books.

-- Lee

Lee

Andre Norton's novels based on Tarot of the Cat People

Galadrial in another thread mentioned two books by Andre Norton which are based on the world created by Karen Kuykendall for her Tarot of the Cat People.

I looked it up, and here it is. Looks like this version contains both the original book and the sequel.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1892065533/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

The info in the Amazon entry does indeed mention Kuykendall but doesn't mention her tarot deck, referring only to her "art." :D

-- Lee

Cerulean

Flip flopping on my Di Gumppenbergs

...weekly, I've been taking in turn my looks at the the Soprafino, Neoclassical, Trades Sites of Milan and Iron Crown of Lombardy (Corona Ferarra)...it turns out there's both flexibility and comfort to these old decks...especially another of the Di Gumppenbergs named below...a constant companion to my woe-is-me-cold-stuffy-head through working/class hours..

The I Vecchi Tarocchi Italiani di Gumppenberg, also known by the date of 1830-1840. The woodcut version I have comes in a set in Italian and the majors and courts description seem to pick out the limited colors in the meaning...the minors are assigned via 'Pythagorian numerology' and description detail seems to be more aligned to suit/element

Mark Filpas reviews the deck itself...

http://www.spiritone.com/~filipas/Masquerade/Reviews/gumpp40.html

My Di Vecchi set can be ordered through Alida and it is not a limited edition...it's based on the Il Menghello limited edition but in addition has the book by Isa Donelli...

I think it's simplicity is a bit of soothing relief for my stuffy head...

Regards,

Cerulean

tarotlova

Titanias Fortune Cards are my favorite she is a white witch who used to live in Australia and now lives in England, I first got introduced to her by her books on witchcraft and then found out that she did these oracle cards when I was in K-Mart (discount chain store here in Australia) she has also done another deck her own based on the Tarot which I have not seen properly yet this one is in a silver booklet. I also like the Hanson-Roberts I've had some good readings with these.

Mesara

Ive noticed I am the only outspoken fan of the Russian Tarot of St.Petersburg. I don't know of anyone else on here that uses it.

WolfSpirit

The Animal Wise !
It is not my most beautiful deck but it is so cool, it gives me such good vibes. It is really a pro-active deck.

And I agree with yve about the wolf pack tarot (of course ;)). I just think the stories on the cards are often too limited.

Owlface

stone

Underrated deck ? The Stone Tarot, created by Alison Stone, artist, therapist and generally good person. It's not radical in imagery-close to Rider-Waite but not a clone-so it's easy to use. The COLOURS are like nothing I've ever seen-bright and deep and powerful, not gaudy. I love them. Instead of Knights, in 2 suits she has Amazons, so this makes for a nice gender balance. the greens are amazing, so are the reds, so are the blues. All of the 78 images were done originally as oil paintings-think how long THAT took.

I've said my piece. Do check it out. It's also very reasonably priced.

love and blessings,

rosyelf

lunakasha

WolfSpirit said:
The Animal Wise !
It is not my most beautiful deck but it is so cool, it gives me such good vibes. It is really a pro-active deck.

Ahhhh yes....this is one of my forgotten decks, unfortunately, but has given me excellent readings....strange story, I think I actually dreamed about these cards last night!!! And since I rarely remember my dreams, I had not realized this until I read your post!!! :eek: Maybe this is telling me I should pull these cards out and give them some attention....

:) Luna

PS: I am also a HUGE fan of Titania's Fortune Cards, and have had my eye on the Stone Tarot for a long time....LOVE the vibrant colors!!! :D