Old Mythic vs New Mythic

Mistteak

With regards to the books, is there any difference??
Is there a change in size to the decks??
And has the artwork really changed that much, or kept the same "feel"

I ask as I have the older decks and book. aprox 1986

BodhiSeed

You might want to either post in Tarot Decks or pm Gregory (I think she has both sets). I just have the original, which is lovely, so I couldn't tell you about how the books compare. But the general consensus of the new artwork is that it is awful. The publisher had the new artist try to replicate (copy) Tricia's work, which was a disaster. She would have done much better if they had given her free rein to do her own work instead.

Mistteak

They moved it :)

hehe they moved it for me .. But really the artwork is that bad? I think that I have only seen the queen of wands I think .. and thought similar, but a little strangled ..

I have a spare of my mythic (old school) which is good,

Why on earth did they change the artist??

rwcarter

See The NEW Mythic Tarot for all you might ever want to know about the deck that I refer to as "The Abomination".

G6

What's the story?

Yeah, I'd really be interested to know the story with this deck. What was the deal, the original artist didn't want to do an update or the publisher didn't have permission to just reprint the old version? What happened?

I would have preferred if they just put out a new edition of the old version, so it's not another OOP deck to find.

gregory

See The NEW Mythic Tarot for all you might ever want to know about the deck that I refer to as "The Abomination".
That's a very polite way of putting it.... :cool4:

And their treatment of the REAL artist was appalling - she heard about it all here !

The New Mythic is a travesty. A bit like the Nicholas Cage Wicker Man compared to Christopher Lee's original. But I cannot speak to the book, as I have no idea if that has changed. (I could go look. But I can't be bothered !) The original is still to be found in some bookstores (I can recommend one in Guelph ON, where it was still for sale at RRP last September...)

G6

That's a very polite way of putting it.... :cool4:

And their treatment of the REAL artist was appalling - she heard about it all here !

The New Mythic is a travesty. A bit like the Nicholas Cage Wicker Man compared to Christopher Lee's original. But I cannot speak to the book, as I have no idea if that has changed. (I could go look. But I can't be bothered !) The original is still to be found in some bookstores (I can recommend one in Guelph ON, where it was still for sale at RRP last September...)

PM me addy for original, thanks! :)

rwcarter

I believe I checked once upon a time and the contents of the books is the same, just bigger print on bigger paper.

Mistteak

I found some pics

Phew, I am glad I am not the only one who things the new deck artistry sucks compared to the original ..

reason I was asking about the book is i have a first edition book and i don't want to wear it to shreds. so if the new book same just bigger awesome .. might have a look for one on special .. not paying $39.95 for a new one!

Cheers for the links!

rwcarter

The Abomination very quickly went to the Bargain Bin.