Prayer Beads

The Happy Squirrel

Hello everyone. I notice that prayer beads are increasingly used in a non religious way. So I am thinking I could use one to help me count my breathing during meditation. So instead of worrying about the time or having to constantly rely on guided meditation I thought this can help with going at our own pace, and we can be done when we stopped counting to the end of the round.

There is this good youtube clip by self proclaimed witch Erick Silvermoon. He grew up with his Spanish (?) Catholic grandmother with whom he had fond memories of praying together when he was a child. I thought this clip is rather good and I am inspired by him to get my own prayer beads to meditate with (I have some antique rosaries but they are for something else). Maybe eventually even to pray in a way which he described.

Here it is:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UBALQHk8HhM

He is my favourite witch on YouTube other than the Four Queens :) Both have close affinity with Mother Mary :) both have had gone through some struggles and came out the other end, and both exude very good, compassionate, and peaceful energy :)

So any of you use secular or pagan or any other forms of prayer beads? How do you or do you find it useful? Do you make your own or buy them? If you buy them could recommend where I could get one?

Thanks in advance :)

BodhiSeed

I use them in meditation classes and occasionally for myself. I find the tactile nature of the beads a way to stay focused, whether on a mantra or the breath. And as you mentioned, you don't need a timer as they act as one in a sense. :) I make my own, either from knotted leather cords or from Czech glass beads.

Here's an older thread on them:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=198920&highlight=beads
And here's a link with additional information (from types to how to make one):
http://sacredstrands.weebly.com/prayer-bead-links.html

The Happy Squirrel

I use them in meditation classes and occasionally for myself. I find the tactile nature of the beads a way to stay focused, whether on a mantra or the breath. And as you mentioned, you don't need a timer as they act as one in a sense. :) I make my own, either from knotted leather cords or from Czech glass beads.

Here's an older thread on them:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=198920&highlight=beads
And here's a link with additional information (from types to how to make one):
http://sacredstrands.weebly.com/prayer-bead-links.html

Thank you!!
Oh your username!! :)

celticnoodle

Thank you, Happy Squirrel for this post and yes, I have many prayer beads. The Catholic Church does have very many different types of prayer beads to offer--the most widely known are the beads known as "the Rosary". But, there are also others that are dedicated mostly to specific saints, and novenas that Catholics recite their prayers on in the same manner as the rosary.

I have many rosaries. Most of them I have purchased, and many I have also 'inherited' because my family and ancestors are Catholic--and of my generation, I am the only one with the interest in them. I love the rosary, and meditate and pray them daily--(or at least, I try to--but I have been known to miss a day here and there). I also have all my ancestors novena beads and other beads (generally fewer beads then the rosary has) for specific prayers.

I have a few Buddhist beads as well, which were gifts to me over the years, one or two came from some generous soul(s) here on A.T. that I have forgotten about (sorry!) and I love them too and use them as well at times.

I have a corded rosary that I made too, when making your own rosary from cord was for a short time, THE THING to do! I made a few of them, donating most to the soldiers who went to war in Afganistan and Iraq. I also purchased a few from some Carmelite Nuns I 'came' in touch with through a Priest. They use to make them and sell them to make some money for themselves, and I bought some to give as gifts to everyone I knew. :laugh: Mainly to help those nuns get a little bit of money to spend--but also in hopes of getting the receivers interested in praying the rosary.

Its much easier to buy them of course then to make them, but its also fun to make them. I find them very helpful for when I meditate on prayer. I do at least 2 forms of mediation-prayer meditation and then what I call "plain ol' meditation"--which is when I try to quiet myself totally. For prayer meditation, I primarily love to use the rosary and pray that.

As for buying rosaries--check in religious stores and other gift shops. Sometimes even jewelry stores will have them. If you cannot find them in these places, then look online. You can generally get rosaries at a rather low price online, depending on what it is made of. Plastic ones generally are under $3.00 each--but you may want something a bit better then this plastic type. Corded ones, if you purchase them, can be found for less then $10.00 each, sometimes even less then $5.00. You may even be able to find some places willing to send you a FREE rosary--or a rosary for a nominal fee. I use to know of these places, as I was the Director of Religious Education where I lived before, and would often get them to hand out to people who were shut ins.

As for the Buddhist Beads and other non-Catholic prayer beads for purchase--again, I would suggest using google to find where/how to get one.

The Happy Squirrel

Hello hello yes indeed I have been browsing Etsy to see what's out there :) I wish I had such a rich catholic heritage as yours but I am only second generation catholic in the family (I am not a practicing catholic though sadly, I am more inter-denominational). The oldest rosary we have in the family is from the late 60s when my dad converted to marry my mum [emoji14] Before 1972 I don't think couple can marry in the Catholic Church without the other converting (you can now).

[emoji1]

celticnoodle

Hello hello yes indeed I have been browsing Etsy to see what's out there :) I wish I had such a rich catholic heritage as yours but I am only second generation catholic in the family (I am not a practicing catholic though sadly, I am more inter-denominational). The oldest rosary we have in the family is from the late 60s when my dad converted to marry my mum [emoji14] Before 1972 I don't think couple can marry in the Catholic Church without the other converting (you can now).

[emoji1]

Well, that is lovely that you have his rosary from when he converted. I have my grandfathers 'first' rosary that we 'think' (so the story goes) he ever received. He was raised by his grandmother, and she made it for him from beans. :D I have it and its one of my 'treasures'. I rarely use it though--I just keep it in a nice box in the bedroom.

Back in the 1970s, you could get married in the CC as long as the non Catholic spouse promised to allow any children of their union to be raised in the CC. But, that may have also depended upon the Priest and Bishop of the particular church. Now, its much easier, yes. I'm not a true practicing Catholic myself. I go to Church very infrequently--and have also adopted more " inter-denominational" practices myself. I don't think it is necessary to really go to a Church to be a spiritual person--and I feel that I am more of a spiritual person with a strong Catholic influence then an actual Catholic anymore. :D (surely my Catholic ancestors are rolling in their graves) ;)

here is one online site where you can purchase rosaries-
http://www.catholiccompany.com/?err=nocat

RiverRunsDeep

I'm not a true practicing Catholic myself. I go to Church very infrequently--and have also adopted more " inter-denominational" practices myself. I don't think it is necessary to really go to a Church to be a spiritual person--and I feel that I am more of a spiritual person with a strong Catholic influence then an actual Catholic anymore. :D (surely my Catholic ancestors are rolling in their graves) ;)

I can relate to this! :laugh:

I own several rosaries which were either handed down by my family or
purchased by myself in local religious stores. I no longer practice as a
Catholic, but I love to use my rosaries! I have found that the rote repetition
of prayers helps me when:
1. I have insomnia, and need to fall asleep
2. I am extremely stressed and need to relax
3. I want to focus on an intention

A friend of mine loves to use mala beads. I'm not sure where he purchased
his, but I know they are available on Etsy. I really like the bracelet version;
seems like the perfect thing for anytime/anywhere meditation!

The Happy Squirrel

I obtained a mala ! Decided on the 108 beads as I can always stop at the first 'section' to start of with :)

celticnoodle

I can relate to this! :laugh:

I own several rosaries which were either handed down by my family or
purchased by myself in local religious stores. I no longer practice as a
Catholic, but I love to use my rosaries! I have found that the rote repetition
of prayers helps me when:
1. I have insomnia, and need to fall asleep
2. I am extremely stressed and need to relax
3. I want to focus on an intention

A friend of mine loves to use mala beads. I'm not sure where he purchased
his, but I know they are available on Etsy. I really like the bracelet version;
seems like the perfect thing for anytime/anywhere meditation!

:laugh: Oh, I can relate when I have insomnia and pray it too! It always works! :D I like to use it for the same thing. I also use it whenever I have to drive someplace that will be a good distance, as it gives me a chance to also get my rosary recitation in as well. :)

Have you also seen the rosary rings? I have a rosary ring and a few bracelets. I don't actually 'wear' the ring much--but I thought it cool and had to buy it for my collection. :D

I obtained a mala ! Decided on the 108 beads as I can always stop at the first 'section' to start of with :)

Oh, I forgot about the mala beads! I have one of them as well. Mine is made of wood and it feels really good too. I rarely use them, but I like them. :)

Enjoy your new mala, Happy Squirrel! :)

The Happy Squirrel

I found this interesting tid-bits :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlxo6kTYktE

Around 16:15 there a quick outlined of materials and the "four elightened activities":

1) pacifying / appeasing / calming : white, light coloured, or clear.
2) enriching / gathering / increasing : bodhi / lotus seeds, amber, gold/silver/bronze/copper (but rarely used)
3) magnetizing / drawing power to yourself: red coral, sandalwood, carnelian, saffron coloured wood
4) destroying :Rudraksha seeds ('tears of Shiva'), bones (animal's or human's)

and one more

5) healing / Buddha medicine : lapis lazuli

I can't hear what he said about red carnelian....

:)