Discovering Buddhism

AJ

Buddhism via youtube. I think my brain is imploding.

Thoughtful

Thanks for the link THS. l do not follow the Buddhist pathway but was intrigued by the link you provided, mainly because l work with the Roots of Asia Tarot. Its a wonderful serene and peaceful deck which is also very truthful.

l have seen the intro to this series and have put the rest on my computer to watch at leisure.

Must say seeing Richard Gere was a bonus :joke:

Have you thought of getting the Roots of Asia yourself l highly recommend it. Love its history and how it came into being.

celticnoodle

Yes, thanks for this link. I love the Buddhism faith, though I am not a Buddhist myself. However, I did try to open it and watch it, but it wouldn't work. But, I was able to find it still on you tube and watch it. (Thanks again). I'll continue to watch the other modules, as it appears there are many more. And, in case anyone else has issues accessing the first link above, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOEXkaow0ko

greatdane

And like other religions....they are different groups

The Buddhists I have spent the most time around were Tibetan and their form of Buddhism is mixed with Bon, their previous beliefs pre Buddhism. It was much different for me than other forms of Buddhism. Interesting, but different.
There is much I have taken from Buddhism and I got into meditation years ago because of my exposure to Buddhism. Not that one has to be Buddhist to meditate.
My spiritual path is mix and Buddhism is definitely a part of it.

The Happy Squirrel

Hello hello my own faith system / tradition is not Buddhism but I have always been interested in it and I thought there are some good pointers there. I saw the Roots of Asia but I don't like the art work :(

I am glad some of you found the YouTube channel useful. Indeed Richard Gere is a bonus :p I ended up exploring Buddhism related things through seeking to learn to meditate as well. Mindfulness specifically. I have trouble quietening my mind :) I too seem to end up with info on Tibetan Buddhism mainly. Maybe because that is what is mostly online? I am not sure. Is that Mahayana Buddhism?

zhan.thay

Hello hello my own faith system / tradition is not Buddhism but I have always been interested in it and I thought there are some good pointers there.

I ended up exploring Buddhism related things through seeking to learn to meditate as well. Mindfulness specifically. I have trouble quietening my mind :) I too seem to end up with info on Tibetan Buddhism mainly. Maybe because that is what is mostly online? I am not sure. Is that Mahayana Buddhism?

It is Mahayana or greater vehicle Buddhism. In fact, you may have noticed "FPMT"? That stands for Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition. Their principal teacher in the early days was Lama Yeshe but now they are headed by Lama Zopa Rinpoche. They have a large centre in SE Qld, Australia called Chenrezig Institute http://www.chenrezig.com.au/

For some easy to follow methods for quietening the mind, that don't require any interest or commitment to Buddhism, try this pdf: www.mahamudracenter.org/mmcmembermeditationguide.pdf
It is from a Tibetan Buddhist centre in the USA.

The Happy Squirrel

It is Mahayana or greater vehicle Buddhism. In fact, you may have noticed "FPMT"? That stands for Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition. Their principal teacher in the early days was Lama Yeshe but now they are headed by Lama Zopa Rinpoche. They have a large centre in SE Qld, Australia called Chenrezig Institute http://www.chenrezig.com.au/

For some easy to follow methods for quietening the mind, that don't require any interest or commitment to Buddhism, try this pdf: www.mahamudracenter.org/mmcmembermeditationguide.pdf

It is from a Tibetan Buddhist centre in the USA.

Thank you!!