Positive/Negative interpretation

mysticangel_001

Context is what makes the difference.

Context? Do you mean the questions asked? I'm a bit confused as to what you mean.

You can read a 3-card spread that way if you like; I know a lot of people do read that way where the center card is the main focus no matter what. For me personally, I look at the direction of things in the cards. What direction is the Knight of Wands RX looking? In RWS he (when reversed) would be looking towards the right at the Magician. In RWS the 7 of Pentacles would be looking towards the left at the Magician. This puts a lot of focus onto the Magician because the other cards are looking at it.

I guess you might have been using the Gilded Tarot though... in that case, both cards would be pulling away from the Magician. :D That would automatically make me feel 'strain' on the Magician and perhaps strain on her ability to do whatever it is that she really wanted to do with her choice; part of her may have wanted to avoid the choice/situation altogether (Knight of Wands RX) and she may have just had no clue what would result from any choice she acted on, or there simply wasn't one best solution for everything (7). So overall, it could be suggesting: She didn't really want to make the choice in the first place, and maybe she didn't understand the situation enough (or otherwise didn't have enough power) to act on a more perfect solution.

I think the 7 is a little more, "Blah - I don't want to deal with this" here because like the Knight of Wands RX, it pulls away from the Magician also.

Anyway, that's what I would do is look at what the cards are already emphasizing to you within the entire frame of the 3-card picture first. It's up to you though; some people anchor their readings down by always reading with the central card as the most important one, or always reading from left-to-right. It just depends on how much you want to control the parameters of the reading, or how much you want to allow yourself to be guided around within the parameters by the cards. As long as you know you're own starting point of reference, then the rest should follow and positive/negative should appear.

Hmmm, I suppose that is a possibility. She decided to quit her job and go to nursing school. She is now questioning if that was the right thing to do (money is a bit tight she said).

Right but I (perhaps mistakenly) thought you were saying that you felt the need to choose between them.

An alternative view would be (for example) Keats' negative capability, or Jung's "tension of the opposites" (i.e., don't reconcile the conflict, just experience it, and what emerges is a glimpse of sublime truth).

Just a thought, perhaps far off-topic.

OK, I understand what you are saying now. I appreciate that point of view.