Questions about mediums...

EmpressArwen

Sorry if the question comes out convoluted...here is the situation (and this has happened twice now)..we occasionally have "traveling mediums" stop by a local occult shop. I was in there browsing (both times) when the medium came in to set up an area to do readings in for the day. In both instances (and these were two different mediums), I picked up nothing from them. Now I know the medium could be very shielded, so both times I thought maybe that was what was happening. I'm empathic and when I meet someone psychic or with mediumship abilities I get a buzzy feeling, almost electrical.

So today, I was there and the medium was walking around and said "oh there are so many spirits here!" I'm not a great medium but I am good at feeling their presence...there was nothing. She kept going on and on about how crowded it was getting in the room. Everyone else was getting really excited about this but me...because again, felt nothing.

So my question...if you have mediumship abilities, or are sensitive to spirits wouldn't you at least feel something in a room full of spirits, even if the spirits aren't there to talk to you? Would spirits completely keep themselves from your detection while showing themselves to a medium in the same room?

As I was leaving, a woman walked by who had a spirit with her. I felt it instantly. Very strong. She walked up to the medium and spoke for a few moments. The medium never mentioned the spirit that was with this woman.

Confused.

GotH

I would say that there are some people out there who have a really good "show" to present. Especially if they are in passing or traveling. Is that because they fear that they'll be exposed so they don't stick around for long? Unfortunately it is what it is.

Aunty Anthea

I feel a J does someone have a John in the spirit world, perhaps a Jeff or a Jason

You used to have family holidays as a child

You had a pet when they were young

An older relation has passed over, I see someone with almost white hair

I could go on LOL LOL LOL :laugh:

Cold reading is extremely common in UK

In UK some supposedly famous mediums have people in the crowds at the entrance and again during large freshment breaks during the performance, gaining information about people which they then pass on to the medium, who in turn astounds the entire audience with their accuracy :bugeyed:

Another trick is to have people planted in the audience :(

I have only even come across ONE genuine medium (she was actually tested by an institute) and heard of TWO others

Starri Knytes

I'm constantly surprised that more people don't realize how very thin the veil actually is. There are far more people on the other side than in the land of the living. There is literally a crowd in every room, at all times, whether or not everyone in that room can see or sense them. It is also possible that a person who is sensitive to spirits will not pick up every single spirit in the room. And though I tend to be rather judgie, in this instance, I would probably not be so quick to judge.

To me people who can see beyond their comfort zone have a rare gift. (maybe I should clarify) I don't see or sense spirit activity all of the time, for me my home is a hot spot. I do see spirits in and outside of my home, sometimes as I walk around my neighborhood. Equally I can connect with the ancestors of clients here, but I am completely out of the zone once I leave my neighborhood, that's when my guard goes up. I don't recall ever bumping into a spirit while shopping or out and about in the real world, and I'm completely okay with that. Does that mean that my gift is any less real, No!

I would be more likely to suspect that what the medium was doing was gathering the spirits, rather than trying to fake everyone out.

I've heard you speak of this shop before, and to suggest that the shop owner would allow a fraud to take place in their shop amongst their regular clientele would also imply that they themselves were frauds, just in for the money not to support and promote spiritual growth. I'm not so sure. Seems a little counter productive. After all it would only take one unhappy customer to do actual real world damage to their business and reputation.

You could always try her out and see for yourself if she's "the real deal" if you are really curious about her gifts I suppose. I hope you do. Then come back and let us know if she is or is not genuine!

Starri Knytes

I feel a J does someone have a John in the spirit world, perhaps a Jeff or a Jason

You used to have family holidays as a child

You had a pet when they were young

An older relation has passed over, I see someone with almost white hair

I could go on LOL LOL LOL [emoji23]

Cold reading is extremely common in UK

In UK some supposedly famous mediums have people in the crowds at the entrance and again during large freshment breaks during the performance, gaining information about people which they then pass on to the medium, who in turn astounds the entire audience with their accuracy :bugeyed:

Another trick is to have people planted in the audience :(

I have only even come across ONE genuine medium (she was actually tested by an institute) and heard of TWO others
I'm not sure this was that kind of event. The pick someone out of here audience sort of situation. Though I would have to agree with you there. There are some sketchy people out there who will do anything to make $$.

The shop near my home has a lot of weekly events, and the shop owner herself is a reader. On occasion she brings in a guest medium who looks literally as if someone just brought her down out of the attic and dusted her off for the event lol. Very much circa 1900's. She may work the room a little, or sit in a chair and wait to be approached. If someone is interested she takes them to a private room for a reading.

I think this is the kind of situation our friend EmpressArwen was referring to. Please correct me if I'm wrong Empress.

EmpressArwen

I've heard you speak of this shop before, and to suggest that the shop owner would allow a fraud to take place in their shop amongst their regular clientele would also imply that they themselves were frauds, just in for the money not to support and promote spiritual growth. I'm not so sure. Seems a little counter productive. After all it would only take one unhappy customer to do actual real world damage to their business and reputation.

You could always try her out and see for yourself if she's "the real deal" if you are really curious about her gifts I suppose. I hope you do. Then come back and let us know if she is or is not genuine!

Actually I was NOT implying that anyone was a fake at all. I asked a genuine question about whether spirits can show themselves to someone and not another in the same room. I assumed that she (and the other woman) was super shielded...not that they couldn't do anything, And I was curious as to why I couldn't feel something and she said she could.

I don't have $150 to try her out. Also no one here knows where this shop is so I doubt me questioning it here will cause damage to the business.

EmpressArwen

I'm not sure this was that kind of event. The pick someone out of here audience sort of situation. Though I would have to agree with you there. There are some sketchy people out there who will do anything to make $$.

The shop near my home has a lot of weekly events, and the shop owner herself is a reader. On occasion she brings in a guest medium who looks literally as if someone just brought her down out of the attic and dusted her off for the event lol. Very much circa 1900's. She may work the room a little, or sit in a chair and wait to be approached. If someone is interested she takes them to a private room for a reading.

I think this is the kind of situation our friend EmpressArwen was referring to. Please correct me if I'm wrong Empress.

The mediums do private readings. They are usually competely booked up before they walk in the door. Both look fairly modern though lol, not dusty attic relics...there are actually 6 mediums that come by once or twice a year...I've just happened to be there when two of them come in.

One woman is in her late 30s...very flower child looking. Literally flowers in her hair. Cute. The other one (the one who was there today) looked like avery successful business woman that you would not want to cross...moves with a purpose. She was friendly enough though. Smiled and said hello.

I've never been to one of those big group reads, like John Edwards often does. I've never seen one in my area. Everything is very quiet here if it has to do with the occult at all. Even this shop is kind of secret...you wouldn't just happen upon it. And from the outside loos like a house, not a business.

EmpressArwen

I would say that there are some people out there who have a really good "show" to present. Especially if they are in passing or traveling. Is that because they fear that they'll be exposed so they don't stick around for long? Unfortunately it is what it is.

I think we don't get resident mediums because no one wants to live here!!! lol

Starri Knytes

Actually I was NOT implying that anyone was a fake at all. I asked a genuine question about whether spirits can show themselves to someone and not another in the same room. I assumed that she (and the other woman) was super shielded...not that they couldn't do anything, And I was curious as to why I couldn't feel something and she said she could.

I don't have $150 to try her out. Also no one here knows where this shop is so I doubt me questioning it here will cause damage to the business.

I think that you misunderstood what I was saying, which is why I gave the example of how I am shielded when not in areas I deem to be safe, and why as I implied that it was highly probable that not everyone could see the same spirits when in the same space.

It is also why I went on to respond to someone else that private shops are not as likely to have fakes with their own people planted in the room. :)

Sorry for the misunderstanding. My intention was to in no way attack or question your integrity. Nor did I imply that your question here in forum, with no mention of the shops name of that of the mediums would do any damage to anyone's reputation. That could only happen at the shop if the medium was found to be a fraud by the shops clientele. Not in a random hypothetical conversation on a forum. lol

No need to respond to this. I think I'm done here.

Bright and Magical Blessings

violetdaisy

I went to a thing recently and I definitely think you can sense some spirits and not others. There were multiple mediums there and each was completely different and seemed to pick up on different entities. No one claimed the room was filled but by the time everyone was done there would have to been a lot flitting about. Joining then departing, some staying around. I am blessedly unaffected by things like that unless I'm between sleeping and waking but I do think that these mediums were legit. They were basically doing a service without getting much in the way of financial compensation.