Hello

Emma313

I just subscribed

I wanted to ask a question

About something

I'm sure it means nothing to worry about but just wondered still

You know when people say all is one and all that

When I was chatting about a certain question on a tarot thread someone answered and I got the heebie jeebies by another answer because it was as if that person was describing my situation

I know rationally situations are similar, after all, we're all human and in same predicaments,but do you think it's possible the universe whatever that is supposed to mean talks to you?
I mean even if you never asked? Or didn't care at the time? I m dubious because if you have the idea that whatever you listen to is an answer to you you may as well go mad? Lol

I also had a problem with some posters who said all is one in a way that made you feel guilty, if you didn't "Think positIve all the time" etc etc
Anyway saying hi to my new forum, don't take me seriously, I talk a lot and don't always think beforehand xx

Milfoil

I also had a problem with some posters who said all is one in a way that made you feel guilty, if you didn't "Think positIve all the time" etc etc
Anyway saying hi to my new forum, don't take me seriously, I talk a lot and don't always think beforehand xx

Welcome to AT Emma.

You are not the only one who finds the 'think positive' and be happy ALL the time to be unrealistic goals. A brief observation of nature (that 'all is one' concept) shows that life is all about both night and day, dark and light, positive and negative, pleasure and pain. This dichotomy and all the shades inbetween ARE life.

Yes, of course it is important for good mental health to keep self depreciating and negative thoughts in check but it is about maintaining balance instead of living only in one place.

This is where many religions get it wrong by trying to avoid the darkness instead of looking at it head on, facing it, learning about it and learning what it is to have free will over one's urges, emotions and drives.

The 'all is one' message is something that many people repeat without really understanding and I'm not saying that I fully understand it either but I do subscribe to that belief. Just as the human body is comprised of blood cells, skin cells, bone cells etc, they all create a larger whole but none of them are a human in their own right. I see all of creation as parts of a greater whole which is, for me, the Creator - so all in one and one in all makes perfect sense to me. However, others who have had near death experiences report a different kind of interconnectedness which only they can know. I can rationalise it on an intellectual level but I cannot (yet) experience it.

I hope this may give you some tiny answers but remember, they are from my perspective - yours may differ. :)

Emma313

Hi Milfoil and thanks for all that. The "all is one" idea only gave me a problem in the sense that I was advised to take every person/ happening/contact conversation on the same level IE that each one was significant, I can't function like that
Ultimately we find our own answers, for ourselves, that much I'm sure about and it's a good thing with helpful stuff along the way and the unhelpful stuff

Yeah the be happy positive you can do it philosophy bored me years ago

Anyway a milder more personal and less stressful easier philosophy I found recently was this which answers a lot of problems

http://youtu.be/qQ-D-8aCRR4

Not sure if this is against forum rules to post, pls delete if so

Best wishes
Emma

ravenest

Hi Emma.

Dont take people's platitudes and projections on to your self or too seriously. Tarot and 'New Age Spirituality' is fraught with people offering 'advice' and giving lip service to a whole range of stuff.

All is one ... but all is obviously not one at all ! Either way, it it is not a reality but a human point of view. As we 'move along' our point of view changes.

All is one .... is similar to this saying : treat every occurrence as a dealing of God with your soul. They are both relevant and referential to a certain stage and / or level of consciousness . To hold the second one in mind all the time ... is virtually the work of a great Yogi .... its a lot easier to just say it .... and a lot 'easier' to tell someone else that is what they should be doing than doing it yourself ;)

So I would NOT worry about them too much.

The Tao Te Ching describes it better ( and may well be the source this saying came from )

Ch 42;

"Tao gives birth to one,
One gives birth to two,
Two gives birth to three,
Three gives birth to ten thousand beings.
Ten thousand beings carry yin on their backs and embrace yang in their front,
Blending these two vital breaths to attain harmony."

So .... to really comprehend 'all is one' you would have to be a Buddha, Lao Tsu or a scientist comprehending the singularity before the 'Big Bang' .... but us 'mere mortals' ( like you and me ... and Millie :) ) live IN the worlds of the 10,000 things.

All we really have to do is carry yin on our backs and embrace yang at our front and blend them to harmony .... thus approaching the one .... thats as close as we can get - because we live in a world of duality - to embrace the 'middle path' .

ravenest

I'll do this bit separate .

I know rationally situations are similar, after all, we're all human and in same predicaments,but do you think it's possible the universe whatever that is supposed to mean talks to you?
I mean even if you never asked? Or didn't care at the time? I m dubious because if you have the idea that whatever you listen to is an answer to you you may as well go mad? Lol

We have various levels of 'consciousness' some 'run' just below the levels of our awareness, we could call that the 'sub conscious' - just below the surface of our awareness , or the unconscious, a process we are not aware of at all. There is also what some term the 'super conscious' , a higher or, if you like 'spiritual' faculty. These types of awareness or states of consciousness can have vastly greater 'processing ' capabilities than than the consciousness. because they are 'out of the mainstream' of the consciousness, they need to find FAMILIAR ways to communicate with the conscious mind.

Some just 'get ideas' others get it through omens or signs, some get a hunch, others 'hear a voice' , some see or 'feel' a spirit or an angel ... or even God.

In 'Exo-psychology' they talk of 8 levels of consciousness, the top one is shared by all of us ... a type of 'spiritual internet' :laugh: .... so they say.

And yes WHATEVER you listen to may drive you mad if you take it all the same way. You would not follow the advice EVERYONE gave you would you ? You have to discern, pick and choose and examine peoples validity , learning, and aims.

The most often I have heard 'We are all one " ... is when a hippy wanted to 'borrow' something ( or got caught for 'borrowing it without permission ) ;)

Same with messages we get, as well as 'superconscious / spiritual ' messages, we get messages from our emotions, fears, insecurities, jealousies , etc . Just like in listening to others, we need discernment when we get our 'own messages'.

It is case of , 'by their works, you will know them' , follow the good messages and not the bad, if you are not sure, seek objective verification ( phone a friend ... not one that will parrot some new age platitude at you ... and run it by them, if in doubt ) but you already seem to know what is best for you :thumbsup:

Emma313

Hello Ravenest!
I thank you very much
Due to certain practical circumstances at the mo. Haven't got time to meditate deeply or at all much,I WILL come come back to you, though I generally got the gist of what you were telling me which more or less sounds about right xx

Emma313

Y

Hi Emma.

Dont take people's platitudes and projections on to your self or too seriously. Tarot and 'New Age Spirituality' is fraught with people offering 'advice' and giving lip service to a whole range of stuff.

All is one ... but all is obviously not one at all ! Either way, it it is not a reality but a human point of view. As we 'move along' our point of view changes.

All is one .... is similar to this saying : treat every occurrence as a dealing of God with your soul. They are both relevant and referential to a certain stage and / or level of consciousness . To hold the second one in mind all the time ... is virtually the work of a great Yogi .... its a lot easier to just say it .... and a lot 'easier' to tell someone else that is what they should be doing than doing it yourself ;)

So I would NOT worry about them too much.

The Tao Te Ching describes it better ( and may well be the source this saying came from )

Ch 42;

"Tao gives birth to one,
One gives birth to two,
Two gives birth to three,
Three gives birth to ten thousand beings.
Ten thousand beings carry yin on their backs and embrace yang in their front,
Blending these two vital breaths to attain harmony."

So .... to really comprehend 'all is one' you would have to be a Buddha, Lao Tsu or a scientist comprehending the singularity before the 'Big Bang' .... but us 'mere mortals' ( like you and me ... and Millie :) ) live IN the worlds of the 10,000 things.

All we really have to do is carry yin on our backs and embrace yang at our front and blend them to harmony .... thus approaching the one .... thats as close as we can get - because we live in a world of duality - to embrace the 'middle path' .
Thanks
I was told that everything I thought or felt would have an impact on me my family and the world and I would bear the responsibility of that, which freaked me out at the time because a) I wasn't in control of everything that came into my mind and b)I wasn't meaning to hurt anyone
They said this under the guise of all is one , one woman said to me thoughts are things and things have energy and can cause things to happen....she really really freaked me out, it's so sad she still is allowed to post on a certain astrology forum

Well language can suck sometimes

I no longer believe this

It's all bollox anyway and I have now found out many reasons why, thank you Raven xxxx

Emma313

I'll do this bit separate .

We have various levels of 'consciousness' some 'run' just below the levels of our awareness, we could call that the 'sub conscious' - just below the surface of our awareness , or the unconscious, a process we are not aware of at all. There is also what some term the 'super conscious' , a higher or, if you like 'spiritual' faculty. These types of awareness or states of consciousness can have vastly greater 'processing ' capabilities than than the consciousness. because they are 'out of the mainstream' of the consciousness, they need to find FAMILIAR ways to communicate with the conscious mind.

Some just 'get ideas' others get it through omens or signs, some get a hunch, others 'hear a voice' , some see or 'feel' a spirit or an angel ... or even God.

In 'Exo-psychology' they talk of 8 levels of consciousness, the top one is shared by all of us ... a type of 'spiritual internet' :laugh: .... so they say.

And yes WHATEVER you listen to may drive you mad if you take it all the same way. You would not follow the advice EVERYONE gave you would you ? You have to discern, pick and choose and examine peoples validity , learning, and aims.

The most often I have heard 'We are all one " ... is when a hippy wanted to 'borrow' something ( or got caught for 'borrowing it without permission ) ;)

Same with messages we get, as well as 'superconscious / spiritual ' messages, we get messages from our emotions, fears, insecurities, jealousies , etc . Just like in listening to others, we need discernment when we get our 'own messages'.

It is case of , 'by their works, you will know them' , follow the good messages and not the bad, if you are not sure, seek objective verification ( phone a friend ... not one that will parrot some new age platitude at you ... and run it by them, if in doubt ) but you already seem to know what is best for you :thumbsup:

Thank you again Ravensnest, I "think" I've reached the stage where I can discern alot now so feel happy in that way, you do when you get to a certain age,/stage even if you wish to slap people in your past with a wet fish in the face, destroy certain philosophies, who cares, the daisies will be pushing me up in the future lol... I guess my whole rant was about those who are in "search" of X y z shuould never be frightened by off cuff remarks and trust themselves, I know I haven't responded to all, I can't for now, bye for now xx

I'm off to watch northern soul in a bit, a film about 1970s dance culture in the north UK, how all those poor people who lived in shit and worked hard all week let it all out on one night

MandMaud

Hi Emma, welcome to AT. :)

I think each person who says the same thing means something slightly different by it. No need to worry what they mean - they're no more likely to understand it than you are, even if they have had four times as many years alive to be thinking it through. ;) I should be saying "we": we are no more likely to understand it than you are. Sure, some people have reached a better understanding but not necessarily the ones who are here talking to you.

Take note of your own reaction to people and to any information you hear, or read, or overhear, or whatever. Your gut knows which matter and which you can do without. If it isn't useful to you now, it may be that it will be useful at a different time in your life, or it may be that the person it comes from is talking a load of tosh. :D No need to decide whether things are absolutely true or false - you need to know which are useful for you, and if they don't ring true, do without them. The more often you trust this instinct, the more accurate it gets.

but do you think it's possible the universe whatever that is supposed to mean talks to you?

One school of thought is that every single thing that happens can indeed be interpreted as meaningful to your own situation, but of course we're human and cannot be aware of every single thing, every moment. I don't believe you'll be missing any that matter. If they matter, they'll either stand out or repeat themselves, or both. How to sense which ones are important to take note of? Get into the habit of taking seriously that reaction within you, that says "Ugh" to some input (whether it's people telling you things, or much more subtle signs such as a beautiful cloud formation or a blackbird's song or the colours of the front doors you see from the bus...) - and says "Yes!" to other things. Pay attention to the Yes feelings and what triggers them... discard the Ugh feelings, they're not useful to you.

It is true that focusing on events and patterns can make more of them - this isn't only in spirituality and philosophy, but also lots scientific psychological studies show that thinking about a certain thing makes you notice it around you more (ie makes you experience it more)... and expecting things can make them happen, eg expecting that people will ignore you or welcome you tends to result in being ignored or welcomed, respectively. Engaging in argument leads to being in more arguments. I have no idea how far this extends, whether this is the Universe working behind the scenes, or just that we've evolved to see more of things when our mindset is stuck on those things... I do find it useful to remember, though, that the way I think affects the kind of day I have and the kinds of interaction I have with others.

But I absolutely do not believe that simply thinking of a possibility will bring it about. Think it through: all sorts of things would be happening all over the place, all the time, some of them impossible! :) Don't worry about bringing awful things on your loved ones, that kind of thing. :heart:

Emma313

Thank you mand, so so much i appreciate it...i will go with my own judgement...10 years ago i was thnking the rustling of trees were talking to me. Re a decision ...now i KNOW that was MAD...though romantic love crap at the time.... i have reverted to a more sensibie and stable mindset....

Feel a bit embarrassed with this thread hut hey ho im human, thank you so much again, ive not missed all the gems and advice you gave and it will take me a while to read/study/digest them x