another spider dream...

MandMaud

... but not a spider dream.

The "setting" is odd too: two long rooms, or buildings, next to each other - like a house with a passageway or staircase dividing it into narrow halves, but these are SO separate. I actually feel I had two different dreams, and stepped from one into the other by stepping through the door between these two rooms/buildings. (My childhood home had a basement like that, because it was built from or on the site of a long barn - I think - and so the house was long, but downstairs it was divided lengthwise. And the house I'm in now is squarish but the ground floor is divided by stairs up the middle, with the kitchen-and-suchlike half on one side, one long living room on the other.)

The first dream, in the "left-hand room", wasn't clear in my memory when I woke, but I'm on some kind of holiday or weekend away, with family and/or friends, a group of us (this is very common in my dreams), and my mother and sons are part of the group. I have been dreaming about my mum as if she were still alive, just recently.

Then from that I step through to leave the room/building, so I'm heading sort of "outside" - and once out, I'm aware of really thick cobwebs above, on my left. Sort of under the eaves... and there's my younger son (who was also in the other room with everyone), holding a hose, directing it at the webs, where I now see a large black spider struggling under the very powerful jet of water.

He's getting carried away, which is in character for him - though the spider is only wriggling to escape, not dying - so I start telling him to calm down and turn the hose off. While saying this, I have a better look at the apparent spider and it isn't a spider, but a swallow. It's caught in the thick web (as happens to flies) and it's struggling, and as it twists it gets its back to the wall and its tummy is towards us, so there's this creamy-coloured little tummy with the black bird feet scrabbling and the black beak above (a swallow's beak always reminds me of the points on a Siamese cat's ears) - all behind/tangled in the whitish thickness of webs. I sense the swallow is in panic in a way the spider wouldn't have been.

So now, I'm urgently telling my son to stop and trying to get him to hear that this isn't a spider after all. And then I wake.

I have a photo somewhere of a swallow's nest under the eaves of a Tudor inn, with the baby swallows peeking out. Probably the visuals of this dream all came from real visual memories of mine. When I tried for meaning, my first thought was that dreams speak in pun - so what am I struggling to swallow? Something stuck in my throat (throat chakra, expressing myself?), something knotted up... but this knot and this stuckness weren't placed like that, this interpretation doesn't feel right.

I identified with the bird.

And why the other dream, the prequel as it were? And why was everyone there, when just this one son was in both parts? And why was the "main" dream sort of outdoors - half-outdoors, like eaves or a porch or a barn - whereas the "prior" dream was definitely indoors? Neither was a building I know in waking life.

Thoughts...? :)

celticnoodle

I'm sure I can't help you completely with the tangled dreams here, but just in case the bird you saw, "the swallow", isn't to be taken literally--the swallow is symbolic of family love and indicates that you are very loyal to your family and friends.

By chance, since it was tangled up in the web--do you feel that you are entangled in a family squabble or mess? Or perhaps with friends. I only think family since you had your family with you--at least in the first room of the dream. The web, I would believe would be symbolic of things we create that can become troublesome at times. (since webs generally are sticky feeling). However, a web is also great medicine and is powerful. I was recently mentioning how it is suppose to be great medicine to put over a bleeding cut--as the web has special things in it that help to cease bleeding and can also cure hurts. Nature's medicine.

At least a few things for you to consider while trying to figure out the meaning of this dream.

MandMaud

I didn't know that association with family love and loyalty... not sure I'll "take" that, as it couldn't have been in my mind even subconsciously... unless it could... :)

but the entangled thing, I obviously had thought of being tangled up in something, but in your post what jumped out at me was: "symbolic of things we create". This is meaningful.

Less so now, but I was feeling pretty stuck and enmeshed in immediate-family things when I had this dream. Trying to face that I (the way I behave) must be part of the problem but not yet able to see what part of my actions contribute to it. This stuck and struggling swallow was a good image for exactly that feeling! I kept thinking the poor thing mustn't even know what it's struggling against, just this sudden onslaught that must feel like being hit and hit. Interesting that it was my youngest directing the jet (onslaught) of water (emotions)! :eek:

There were both family and friends in the first room, but the friends were like "walk-on extras", no individual that I was aware of, the the feel of the group.

I've heard that about webs being good for bleeding. Never tried it; I'll have to some time! Makes sense that the spider doesn't want to lose any of the nutrient-rich blood while waiting to eat its prey.

I will put these associations and thoughts into the melting pot and see what understanding comes. I feel you're close to it. Thanks! :)