Ideas for a Spirituality study group?

Zephyros

One of the things I like to do best on forums is to participate in some long-term study groups, especially ones in which blocks of text are posted and then discussed. This is being done rather successfully in Thoth and RWS, so I thought maybe something of the sort could be done here.

However, this forum presents its own challenges in that some people come with belief while others come with a more cerebral outlook. This would mean that all opinions, provided they are articulated in a moderate and respectful fashion and are not racist or offensive in other ways, would have to be respected. Considering the sensitive nature of this forum, the forum rules would be adhered to much more strictly than in other sections.

On the other hand, we have the great advantage here of not being limited in terms of study topics, decks, etc. We can choose anything, within reason.

I myself lean towards the Old Testament, starting from Genesis. It is a fascinating book even when looked at through secular eyes, as I do. However, for many Westerners that book as well as the New Testament are too culturally weighted down to the point where discussion would be difficult. While such a discussion would be difficult, but not impossible, I am open to ideas of discussion of other texts that people think would fit the requirements of being discussed here. Namely, that its structure allows for it to be split into sections that could be posted and discussed on a regular basis in a free and open exchange.

Any ideas?

celticnoodle

This sounds lovely to me! I'll keep an eye out on things that is decided upon to discuss/study and will participate as time allows and if the subject interests me. Good idea!

Zephyros

I'm happy you like the idea! Have you any ideas for what we could study?

And don't worry about posting with any regularity, this is supposed to be a fun thing where people contribute when they want and are able. It really isn't meant to be "work," I hate work. ;)

Michael Sternbach

That sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

seedcake

That would be something really interesting. I'd love to explore different points of view on even well-known subjects.

earthair

Can I suggest a subject? :livelong:

Trance states- necessary or not?

And here's a little quote from Mr Crowley to kick things off...

http://hermetic.com/crowley/little-essays-towards-truth/trance.html

"The word Trance implies a passing beyond: scil., the conditions which oppress. The whole and sole object of all true Magical and Mystical training is to become free from every kind of limitation. Thus, body and mind, in the widest sense, are the obstacles in the Path of the Wise: the paradox, tragic enough as it seems, is that they are also the means of progress. How to get rid of them, to pass beyond or to transcend them, is the problem, and this is as strictly practical and scientific as that of eliminating impurities from a gas, or of adroitly using mechanical laws. Here is the inevitable logical flaw in the sorites of the Adept, that he is bound by the very principles which it is his object to overcome: and on him who seeks to discard them arbitrarily they haste to take a terrible revenge!

It is in practice, not in theory, that this difficulty suddenly
disappears. For when we take rational steps to suspend the operation of the rational mind, the inhibition does not result in chaos, but in the apprehension of the Universe by means of a faculty to which the laws of the Reason do not apply; and when, returning to the normal state, we seek to analyse our experience, we find that the description abounds in rational absurdities."

DownUnderNZer

I think the "Old Testament" (my father's absolute favourite) is more suited under "Bible Studies" perhaps especially if the written word is going to be under a magnifying glass and discussed in depth.

Spirituality is a way of being connected to something "bigger" as well as ourselves, others, and the world/universe and/or life.

Only not really in a written context, but rather a way of being I feel.

Be interesting to see what develops. ...:)

Glass Owl

The Divine feminine Archetype (Mother Mary, Kuan Yin, etc) may make for an interesting subject to explore and study.

Luna's Crone

old testement

I find the old testament is interesting especially if you have all books. not just the ones in the Old and New testament bibles.

Disa

Can I suggest a subject? :livelong:

Trance states- necessary or not?

I like this topic.

Spirituality is a way of being connected to something "bigger" as well as ourselves, others, and the world/universe and/or life.

Only not really in a written context, but rather a way of being I feel.

I agree with this. If the discussions are only based on written texts, then I'm not sure I'd have much to contribute at all. I would follow along with interest, however.

The Divine feminine Archetype (Mother Mary, Kuan Yin, etc) may make for an interesting subject to explore and study.
This would be very interesting.

I'm most interested in learning about indigenous cultures, customs, beliefs. I haven't found much "written text" on these topics.