Ideas for a Spirituality study group?

Barleywine

We could play "pin the tail on the allegory" :) There are quite a few mystical, allegorical texts out there that would make good fodder for discussion. Here's one I like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chymical_Wedding_of_Christian_Rosenkreutz

I'm not at all interested in any biblical associations it may have (although others might be), more in its Rosicrucian implications as described in Paul Foster Case's The True and Invisible Rosicrucian Order There are some rather strange goings-on in it that are fraught with mystical meaning. I read it not long ago as a free download. It's broken up into episodic sections that wouldn't take a large investment of time to work through.

There is also The Kybalion, but it's more hermetic philosophy ("As above, so below," "The universe is mental," etc.) than spirituality.

ravenest

Oooo ooooo ! <puts hand up > I'd be in that ( the R+C one ) . Might be a bit complex for some though ?

Or even pinning the tail on allegory of mythological stories ...and how some are made of the same components of others but rearranged , reversed or modulated. Psyche - an allegory of the relationship of the ego to the soul ... where there is a constant potential reversal within the one myth.

(This is the best site IMO for it http://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Psykhe.html )

Or how Hercules is actually a real dumbarse ... a myth that shows us what NOT to do .

Or what the variant Egyptian God families analogize .

I have done a few of these (one I analysed a magical order's constitution and showed how their administrative set up is an analogy for the 'internal hierarchies' and how to bring them into balance and expression, using 'magical technologies' and used a demonstration of a similar view in the past and present , being Swedenborg's method being applied to modern psychiatry {for when people get 'out of that balance' } to the extent that the results were considered ' A Confirmation of Swedenborg in Recent Empirical Findings' {which is quiet rad ! } - http://www.searchwithin.org/download/presence_spirits.pdf ) ... and a smattering of Jung.... it might have already been posted around here somewhere ?

The thing is; a good system of analysis should be able to be backed up with numerous sources and interpretations and when we can cement it with empirical findings ... !

Or another is looking at the key components behind many experiences that have a different form, thereby getting a 'handle' on different, unusual, psychic , or 'religious' experience ( like in Harpur's book ' Daimonic Reality - he strips down a story to its essentials ; people are out in the forest / woods, a light comes down from the sky, it is a glowing ball of light and in it they can see someone / a 'person' ... they loose time and snap out of it later, one has strange marks on their body. he takes the story to different people; definitely a classic case of UFO contact (ufologists , of course ;) ) - ' tis the Blessed Virgin herself ! ( but the marks ? ... Of that's 'stigmata' ) - those lucky people ... they got a visit from their ancestors ( the marks ? .. a 'gift' to prove to them that it actually happened ) ... and so on.

Complexities for some here and the large investment of time may be an issue ... maybe start of on a mythological story ? ....

... I just realised ... I already did pone and posted it here , an analysis of the import behind the Raven's mythology , sourcing Ovid and others ... 'The Raven's Tale' - somewhere in Spirituality .

celticnoodle

We could play "pin the tail on the allegory" :) There are quite a few mystical, allegorical texts out there that would make good fodder for discussion. Here's one I like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chymical_Wedding_of_Christian_Rosenkreutz

I'm not at all interested in any biblical associations it may have (although others might be), more in its Rosicrucian implications as described in Paul Foster Case's The True and Invisible Rosicrucian Order There are some rather strange goings-on in it that are fraught with mystical meaning. I read it not long ago as a free download. It's broken up into episodic sections that wouldn't take a large investment of time to work through.

There is also The Kybalion, but it's more hermetic philosophy ("As above, so below," "The universe is mental," etc.) than spirituality.
OOOH! I like this idea, very much!!! :thumbsup:

Oooo ooooo ! <puts hand up > I'd be in that ( the R+C one ) . Might be a bit complex for some though ?
yes, it may be too complex and more then what some may want to be involved in. :( BUT! Maybe enough are up for it--at least to give it a try!
Or another is looking at the key components behind many experiences that have a different form, thereby getting a 'handle' on different, unusual, psychic , or 'religious' experience ( like in Harpur's book ' Daimonic Reality - he strips down a story to its essentials ; people are out in the forest / woods, a light comes down from the sky, it is a glowing ball of light and in it they can see someone / a 'person' ... they loose time and snap out of it later, one has strange marks on their body. he takes the story to different people; definitely a classic case of UFO contact (ufologists , of course ;) ) - ' tis the Blessed Virgin herself ! ( but the marks ? ... Of that's 'stigmata' ) - those lucky people ... they got a visit from their ancestors ( the marks ? .. a 'gift' to prove to them that it actually happened ) ... and so on.
I also like this idea very much!

Complexities for some here and the large investment of time may be an issue ... maybe start of on a mythological story ? ....
hmmm...yes, time could be an issue for many here who just want a layed back sort of study group....especially at this time of year--the holidays are always a busy time for most.

... I just realised ... I already did pone and posted it here , an analysis of the import behind the Raven's mythology , sourcing Ovid and others ... 'The Raven's Tale' - somewhere in Spirituality .
oh yes!!! I remember this!!! :thumbsup:

Zephyros

so, is anyone stepping forward to start one of their ideas for a group study?

I personally would like that very much. As has been said here people just don't have the time to commit to preparing something, which is completely understandable. The practical concerns of running an online study group are such that they affect the method and subject matter dealt with. But all that is needed is someone to get the ball rolling; right now a lively pathworking group is underway in the Kabbalah forum and it started practically spontaneously, it just needed a spark.

Of course, even if no formal "study group" idea comes to fruition, I myself would love to explore many of the ideas presented here. No permission is needed, if anyone's waiting for that. If there's anything you would like to be discussed just go ahead and post. If people respond it could become a series of threads and the sky's the limit.

celticnoodle

:)

Okay, Barleywine and Ravenest, its up to each of you! And, of course to all the others who have presented ideas, too. I would imagine having many different groups started would also be great, as it would invite many people to where they are most attracted--which could be one thread or maybe two, three or more!

So, lets start a study group(s) here! :D

Luna's Crone

:)

Okay, Barleywine and Ravenest, its up to each of you! And, of course to all the others who have presented ideas, too. I would imagine having many different groups started would also be great, as it would invite many people to where they are most attracted--which could be one thread or maybe two, three or more!

So, lets start a study group(s) here! :D

Well, we could always discuss ALL the types of pantheism there is, give each one a name and description. although it would take forever. I mean this seriously since alot of ppl don't own up to any sort of paganism. I know i have been ridiculed. We have our own realities as proven by science, and we all have our own spiritualities as well.

I can start. I am a science/nature/sorta paganish pantheist. Science is my religion, nature is the grand creator as opposed to divine and paganish is that I am and have been since i was 8 years old, tied to Gaia, (i call her Maman) Luna as my sister, trees as my most valuable spiritual assets and Spirit/Esprit. So what would you name this and describe it. Just so you know. this is my belief and has been for 56 years, and the rest is science especially geology and glaciaology. And physics is just awesome!

celticnoodle

Well, we could always discuss ALL the types of pantheism there is, give each one a name and description. although it would take forever. I mean this seriously since alot of ppl don't own up to any sort of paganism. I know i have been ridiculed. We have our own realities as proven by science, and we all have our own spiritualities as well.

This could be very interesting and fun to discuss. Yes, it could/would take forever, and so perhaps it'll be never ending--or we would after a long while of discussing this decide its time to move on to something else. Either way, if we start at least, it will help to educate each other on the subject. the beauty of this subject is that there are so many different ideas and as you say "we all have our own spiritualities". So, I think this could be a very interesting discussion.

I can start. I am a science/nature/sorta paganish pantheist. Science is my religion, nature is the grand creator as opposed to divine and paganish is that I am and have been since i was 8 years old, tied to Gaia, (i call her Maman) Luna as my sister, trees as my most valuable spiritual assets and Spirit/Esprit. So what would you name this and describe it. Just so you know. this is my belief and has been for 56 years, and the rest is science especially geology and glaciaology. And physics is just awesome!

this is a great way to start, however, I think you may want to contact the mods here, Zephyros and/or Chiska, as I believe they would want the discussion to be in a new thread--with the title of what the discussion is all about. So, perhaps a total of "Patheism Discussion" or something of the sort. Your post here would be a great way to start it off too-making it the first post in the new thread. However, perhaps it would also be a good idea for those who aren't sure what pantheism is, would be to also describe it in a paragraph as well. Just some ideas.

Though my husband really doesn't identify with any one religion, I can see that he could easily fit in as a Scientific Pantheist. On this issue, we do differ greatly--though we each respect the others right to believe how they wish. At any rate, I think this sounds interesting! And, now that the holidays are over and the New Year has begun, its time to get this thing rolling! I urge you to contact the mods mentioned above about starting this thread and then doing so! Please! :)

Zephyros

Hi Luna's Crone, I absolutely love your idea! If you want to go ahead with this I would be happy to help you in any way I can. PM me and we can talk about the details.