disappointment about placing names

Luna's Crone

last night, i went to a fb of someone whose videos i follow and she wondered what kind of name to tag non-pagans with, muggles maybe. To me this was an insult. Tagging groups. But she did delete my post which probably was for the best, not that it was abusive or anything. And another person says pagans hate it when a pantheist says the are science/nature based. Well I am. All my life I could not find my niche, I finally find it, and put myself where I wanted to be in this niche and then to find I am disliked for choice boggles the mind, the soul, and my damn feeling.

I have always loved science and nature (especially trees and the night sky) and became a pantheist when I was 8 years old. Although I didn't know there was a name for it other than "bad person", "atheist", devil worshiper. I knew I was none of those, because i believed in nature as the Creator. I tried to be a pagan for a while but it just didn't quite fit. I held on to my celtic spirituality. and then one day, there it was, Pantheism.

But why would witches and pagans put me down or other people for having their belief. I am a bit confused. I know there are always going to be the name throwing nay-sayers. But to come from people I respected and admired hurts.

I am sorry but I am a geology freak (includes rocks), astronomy, astrophysics, planetary science especially off world. And of course physics. All these things tickle me pink. Plus I live on a crest of a mountain in West. PA and have land, surrounded by farms and such, and I have a horse. And i hug my trees, literally. Willow and the moon call me. I even have a huge willow tree and quarter moon tattooed on my back.

Are there others out here who don't appreciate science? I don't believe in a lot of pagan things, but Gaia has always been my mother, Luna my sister, guide, and guardian, and Nature, the Divine Creator. We humans have to name things. And now I have adopted Spirit as a spiritual energy force.

I hope someone chats a bit about this, cuz i have no where else to turn to.

Aunty Anthea

last night, i went to a fb of someone whose videos i follow and she wondered what kind of name to tag non-pagans with, muggles maybe. To me this was an insult. Tagging groups. But she did delete my post which probably was for the best, not that it was abusive or anything. And another person says pagans hate it when a pantheist says the are science/nature based. Well I am. All my life I could not find my niche, I finally find it, and put myself where I wanted to be in this niche and then to find I am disliked for choice boggles the mind, the soul, and my damn feeling.

I have always loved science and nature (especially trees and the night sky) and became a pantheist when I was 8 years old. Although I didn't know there was a name for it other than "bad person", "atheist", devil worshiper. I knew I was none of those, because i believed in nature as the Creator. I tried to be a pagan for a while but it just didn't quite fit. I held on to my celtic spirituality. and then one day, there it was, Pantheism.

But why would witches and pagans put me down or other people for having their belief. I am a bit confused. I know there are always going to be the name throwing nay-sayers. But to come from people I respected and admired hurts.

I am sorry but I am a geology freak (includes rocks), astronomy, astrophysics, planetary science especially off world. And of course physics. All these things tickle me pink. Plus I live on a crest of a mountain in West. PA and have land, surrounded by farms and such, and I have a horse. And i hug my trees, literally. Willow and the moon call me. I even have a huge willow tree and quarter moon tattooed on my back.

Are there others out here who don't appreciate science? I don't believe in a lot of pagan things, but Gaia has always been my mother, Luna my sister, guide, and guardian, and Nature, the Divine Creator. We humans have to name things. And now I have adopted Spirit as a spiritual energy force.

I admit to knowing almost nothing about pantheists, though it does seem that you may fit in better with the Druids rather than Witches or Pagans :love:

Traditional witches accept everyone and insult none, but if you are not into spell casting that is probably not the right path for you.

I imagine you have probably been visiting open fb pages. Closed pages are far better and they throw out those who insult others. You need to find ONE genuine person and ask them to guide you to a suitable closed/secret page :)

Blessings

seedcake

Do you really need other people to tell that this what you do is right? Don't relay what other groups of people think about you or your path. If I do that, I'd need to leave all my spiritual beliefs and needs behind. From this what I've read, you have a very good idea of what you need and what makes you fulfilled. I know it's easy to say to not bother with labels. But just don't bother what other people say - how they can know what it good for you?

And yes, I appreciate science, very similiar ones like you, I've been studying biotechnology for a while. But I don't consider myself as a pantheist but definitely, my philosophical background has some pieces of it.

Tigerangel

I identify myself as being a pantheist with a little bit of Buddhism thrown in, I believe that God is in everything and everyone but no one person or thing is a God, the whole collective conscious of the universe is godly, also I much prefer to use the word source of creation than God.

I don't really believe in Wicca, or Christianity although I'm very spiritual I'm quite happy just to believe in my own religion created by me, I don't want to or need anyone to believe in what I believe in, each to there own.

But if you want to connect with the pantheists in the world I found this website http://www.pantheist.net/join-us.html, they have membership fees to join though, might be of interest to you if your looking for like minded pantheists.

gregory

Do you really need other people to tell that this what you do is right? Don't relay what other groups of people think about you or your path. If I do that, I'd need to leave all my spiritual beliefs and needs behind. From this what I've read, you have a very good idea of what you need and what makes you fulfilled. I know it's easy to say to not bother with labels. But just don't bother what other people say - how they can know what it good for you?

And yes, I appreciate science, very similar ones like you, I've been studying biotechnology for a while. But I don't consider myself as a pantheist but definitely, my philosophical background has some pieces of it.
This, very much. I am labelled all the time. White, female, senior citizen, tarot freak (yes really !), fat, atheist (and I'm actually not), Tory (and I am very much not) - you name it. I too appreciate science - not that I was ever much good at it.

I remain me. You be you. That's all it takes. A label is just a label. I have been to events when I was at work where my label was spelt wrong, had the wrong employer and so on. Big deal. I am reminded of a relative who refused to get a divorce for years because she "didn't want to be a statistic". One is a statistic from the moment one is born. It is unavoidable. This person wanted to be able to talk about, refer to, a specific group of people - and why shouldn't she. Can we not talk of women, gay men, Roman Catholics ? What is the essential difference here ? She needed a word for non-pagans. Maybe you could have suggested one ?

Loads of pantheists are interested in science, nature and the rest. Ask and you will find them.

But I would LOVE to be called a muggle :D

Disa

Once you put a spiritual label on yourself, and you begin to define yourself as this label and what YOU think this label means, you begin to come across others who also define themselves as this same label, but it means something completely different. I've always found it interesting to learn about all spiritualities and points of view.

I've always said what gregory just said...Be you. I'm just me. I'm not going to label myself, but anyone else can feel free to do so. They would most likely be wrong, anyway- but I don't care. I know who I am.

Chiska

Jo Ann,
It seems that sometimes people feel they must label that which they do not understand or fear. If by labeling it, it because something over which they have power.

gregory has the right of it, in my opinion. You are you; they are they. They can label you until the cows come home, but it will never change who you are, only their perception of you. And in the long term, who cares what they think?

earthair

To quote Mr Big (Live and Let Die) "Names is for tombstones, baby!" :D

Labels are what you get buried under.

gregory

Jo Ann,
It seems that sometimes people feel they must label that which they do not understand or fear. If by labeling it, it because something over which they have power.

gregory has the right of it, in my opinion. You are you; they are they. They can label you until the cows come home, but it will never change who you are, only their perception of you. And in the long term, who cares what they think?
Actually - we don't know what that person "perceived", only that she had a need to give a name to a group of people so that she could refer to them AS a group. People DO fall into groups. That doesn't define them, but it does make it possible to refer to - for instance - tarot readers, Muslims, authors, vegans...

Luna's Crone

the name thing

I was just surprised by her action, it was deliberately kinda nasty, and inviting others to chime in.

But what i was bummed out about was that it was someone i had been following on youtube for a while and really respected her. I guess I was taken by surprised.

I grew up in the celtic spirit of ireland and scotland. but I am definitely a panthiest with a touch of paganism and a whole lot of science. ;-)

Thanx for all the input, i really appreciate it.

Blessings