The Lazarus Club

Mycroft

I really don't know what to say here.... All of my life I have had two recurring dreams that may, or may not be intimately related... In both, while I am very similar to being human, I am in fact, not. One dream has me living in a very aquatic environment where I spend the bulk of my time in/under the water - though forays onto dry land are common; and the other is what I call my "running dream", where I am some kind of a creature that can grasp and hold the ground firmly to propel me a great speeds as I chase after the Sun (like a dog chasing a car - only I, with long, strong "fingers" sink my hands into the dirt to pull myself forward) - I'm not clear on just why, but there's a solid reason in my mind for trying to catch the Sun, it doesn't doesn't add up - in the here and now.. I know. Doesn't make much sense, but if I had to guess, I think I may have expected to be in one of those two places now. I would LOVE to understand it all.
Michael
This is all fascinating stuff Michael and strongly suggestive to me of many ideas that come together in shamanic dreaming. I'm no expert but I have read that shamen believe that all time is NOW so we can access other times (and apparently be re-incarnated in the past) and parts of our soul can become lost or stuck there. The principles of Soul Recovery are based on these ideas, and I'm just wondering if some parts of your soul are perhaps lodged in a much earlier, possibly prehistoric time? Check out this blog post by Robert Moss You Walk in Many Worlds.

SunsetKay

I also felt so weird around other people for a long period of time. Id be at play groups for my youngest or at school with my oldest, and I'd just feel like a pretender, interacting with all of the other moms, dads and teachers. I was pretending to be like them, pretending to be occupied by the same mundane things that they were. Not that I felt enlightened in any way, I just felt that the things many of them were talking about, upset by, or mainly occupied by were not in any way important or real. The refrain constantly going through my head at the time was "how can they not see that none of this matters?? None of this matters." It was a weird and difficult time for me.

THIS!! I won't pretend to have this all the time because I'm still alive and sometimes the petty annoyances of life get in the way, but yes. That feeling - I know it well.

Mycroft

Sometimes, I can't help but think that I'm not supposed to be here. But then other times, I think that there must be a reason that I still am. Who knows? But I have a theory that people that have kissed death and come back establish a sort of connection to life that is other. I'd have to think more to explain what I mean. My brain is too tired today. I think I have the flu.
This feeling of 'not belonging' is very prevalent in our modern society I feel, but we all become conditioned to hide it. I personally suspect there must be some reason why we 'Kiss Death' and then return, and this may be that we establish a link or 'bridge' to higher energies. In one recent dream I was standing on the forecourt of a filling station and an old decrepit car was propped up against the pumps. Suddenly a young woman dressed in the type of outfit that they wore in the 1950s appeared and placed a hose into the car, which required that she turned the nozzle until it clicked and then locked into place. Then she flicked a switch on the pump itself and the car began to fill up. I looked at the pump and saw that the sign on the top said 'Spirit of Ecstasy' at which point the woman pointed at the car which now looked very shiny and new. "It's okay now" she said with a wink "we're plugged in and filled up."

MandMaud

This is what intrigues me, why do we receive the vision of something so beautiful it makes you cry, yet are told we have to return, or make a choice to return. If I was in charge of operations I'd have all the NDErs go to a boring grey room and listen to politicians on the TV, that way you'd be in an almighty hurry to get back to the earth plane. So is this an accidental view of the beyond, or is it designed to inspire us?

I meant to add my 2p's worth on this, and forgot yesterday. I think that (assuming there is a purpose at all) there must be value in losing the fear of death. Fear of death is natural and right, after all - creatures have a survival instinct for a reason! But it makes sense to me that looking forward to the end of life (which doesn't imply wishing it sooner than its time) would be something I'd want in people, if I had a Big Task for them while living.

The author Robert Moss has written in a few of his books on dreaming about the shamanic practice of 'Soul Recovery' which sees traumatic experiences as causing small deaths that result in parts of our soul leaving us because they cannot bear the pain of what's happened. Visits into the dreamtime are therefore undertaken to help these parts of our soul find resolution and their way back to us.

I'm increasingly drawn to this. I'm reading Robert Moss now ('Dreamgates') and have read two of Sandra Ingerman's. And Manda Scott on her very intelligent website.

Now you've mentioned it I do vaguely recall hearing this once before, Oh God, probably find myself in front of a disciplinary committee now charged with "Choosing a user name that has lewd and salacious connotations."

That would be too much to risk! :p
Could have been me, if you've heard it before.
When I find the contents of the house I live in (long story), I'll find the dictionary/ies where I learnt that. I know 'tail' comes into the semantic route.

Farewell then Squirrel Kisser,
You were really rubbish,
We won't be seeing you again,
Bye.

<applause, whoops and bravo!>

I'd like to make a short and boring post here...
I was still-born, and rescued at the last minute. The only thing I have gleaned from this, and it has shaped my life in almost every way since, is that while I do not recall ANY details whatsoever, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I was somewhere else before I was here.... and I wasn't very happy about being here.... In fact, the only pervading thing I can recall was thinking that something had gone very, very wrong.

Michael

This does tie in with thoughts and suspicions I had when my son died. I wasn't physically good throughout that pregnancy (unlike with the two that were born healthy), and more significantly, didn't dream at all. Before that I had loads of long, colourful, vivid dreams, all my life - then got pregnant with Owen and stopped dreaming as if the dreams were cut off at source. And ever since, even though dreaming is gradually coming back, I have never had a dream of him. I always felt that he wasn't here, in some sense. Now that I'm used to the spiritual body, healing (not used to the various terms used for it, but I mean ourselves which isn't the obvious physical presence), I believe that's what wasn't here. In a way, he didn't arrive and leave, but never arrived even during the pregnancy.

I've never had a communication from anyone after they died, and never had a sense of them being around beyond having them on my mind for a few days/weeks, but that only felt like my own train of thought... but in the early days after Owen died (he was less than a day old), my predominant concern was of him being without me. Somewhere alone, which must be the worst thing as a baby, abandoned and no one hearing you when you cry. That bothered me far more than when I considered me being without him. Maybe it was psychological, a way my mind protected me from the what I had to adjust to, but it so strongly felt like a mother's connection with her newborn, as I had with his brothers (one older, one younger).

1. I died during delivery, so I was born dead. Doctors were able to bring me back, but I died again and was brought back again. I spent the first three months of my life in the hospital.
This also reminds me of little Owen. He was brought back, not sure if it was one or two, or a few times. I concluded that he really, really hadn't wanted to be here.

Another instinct that's interesting is that with my eldest when he was new, I sang to him. With Owen, the one time I had time wtih him (I was post-op and he wasn't by my bed), I didn't sing but listed his family members - told him his part in the human race, effectively. At the time I meant it as a welcome, but afterwards, it seemed significant.

Sometimes, I can't help but think that I'm not supposed to be here. But then other times, I think that there must be a reason that I still am. Who knows? But I have a theory that people that have kissed death and come back establish a sort of connection to life that is other. I'd have to think more to explain what I mean. My brain is too tired today. I think I have the flu.

I can't think that you aren't supposed to be here! If there is a "Meant" at all, surely it wouldn't get that wrong.

I've thought the same about people who have met death. Not only those who have come back, but those bereaved in particular ways - traumatic ways, or something. This first struck me back when I still identified almost 100% as bereaved parent, it was still the very biggest thing in my life. I went on a charity trek and met other bereaved parents, and also some who weren't, but one of them had nearly died in a road accident some years before. There was something about us that there isn't about everyone.

And @ prudence - I meant to quote you too - that feeling of being a pretender, I recognise that. I think of it as a PTSD thing. Also not recognising familiar places - that is, recognising them and knowing them, but not feeling the familiarity. As if seeing them with someone else's eyes. I do NOT mean "this is PTSD so it isn't spiritual"! More inclined to think it's spiritual, and that's a better descriptive framework for PTSD.

Mi-Shell

NDE
You guys here all know about my Siberian tribal heritage both my grans and my maternal great gran having been shamans and healers, which predestined me to also follow the path and all my life working, practising as a shaman, where I live, teaching and mentoring others .....

I had -so far in my "life"- 6 true near death experiences.
All due to extreme illness.
The first one due to Diphtheria, when I was 3, when I stopped breathing and went into the LIGHT and was send back by a benevolent Elder Spirit of my Clan (I shared the story here somewhere in the Teaching Tent and on my blog, Shananicdrumm....)
Another one was at the christian orphanage, where I was routinely physically abused = beaten with leather straps and curtain rods- for refusing to denounce my ancestral tribal beliefs and to instead conform to christianity. My back and upper arms were full of welts, that got infected. From the pus in my system I got sick with putrid pyelonephritis and septicaemia. Since the same week another small child had already died from beatings, I got lucky and they got me to a small hospital. But it was quite late....I had gotten purulent endocarditis = Heart inflammation and – my heart gave up. Again I went into the light but was send back by the same Clan Guardian, whom by then I recognized as being Umai E'ene'. Hospital records state I arrested and was dead for 4 min.
From all the infections resulting from the torture in the orphanage I got a heart valve problem and some other messy Shi..tttt ....that I do not want to write about here-
However in my early 40ties the heart problems started to catch up to me again. I had hundreds of defunct little extra electrical lines all through my heart muscle, each trying to beat to a different rhythm. (WPW) Several times I was in the hospital with nasty arrhythmia and it got worse. Eventually on several occasions my heart stopped each time due to some stupid heart medications I received attempting to correct the damage acquired in childhood. Once, on vacation with my Native friends on the high altitude Mescalero Reservation it just did not revert back into normal rhythm and I was flown in a helicopter to Scottsdale, Arizona. They tried iv meds but it got worse. I had 285 irregular beats per minute for 6 hours and then the meds and my heart just stopped. I was "down” for almost 19 minutes and shocked and CPR was performed..........

During all the NDE's I experienced there ALWAYS was a sequence of events:
Rising out of the body as an ethereal being
NO FEAR!!!!!!!
NO PAIN!!!!
NO EMOTION whatsoever!!!!!!!!
But watching with polite disinterest whatever is going on below = where doctors and nurses tried desperately to get the heart of "some Body” going again. hearing them, seeing the flat line on the EKG machine , the blood....
Then the blissful urge to rise up higher into a "tunnel of light" There a complete life review runs before my consciousness - seemingly taking a loooooong time and very detailed, with lessons included.
Then the appearance of my/ our Clan Guardian/ guide, giving more lessons and then inviting me to just rest.
The one time I was down so long, there was my OWL hugging me as if in a "good by" and thereafter I started to dissolve into a myriad of particles of energy that disperse.....

The other times before, I had a sense of being sent back and voluntarily returning to my body; but not that time! It was excruciatingly painful and catastrophically tiny and small compared to where I was before and I did NOT want to be "back there"
I ended up having emergency heart surgery and telemetry surgery to cut out all the defunct lines causing these deadly rhythms.
It was a rocky recovery from that, but not so much because of all the broken ribs and ... but because I was a changed person.
I had lost the hearing in 1 ear. I had lost my ability to speak several languages, I had to again fall in love with my husband Peter, because, All emotions were wiped clean from my psyche even more so then on previous occasions. I also was MUCH more intuitive towards others and could see all kinds of things, even without going into trance.

The thing is that after such an NDE, it takes month to regroup, regenerate feelings, because all became "unimportant and trivial" compared to "the bigger picture of expanded consciousness”
All every day concerns were small and petty and not worth to get into a huff about. Feelings of sympathy - or antipathy to people that I had before were gone!! And still are. Everything became "level and wide open and detached.” On the other hand I since then can see illness as either blue or red dots and patches in peoples bodies and "hear feelings" Those are "gifts" I had to incorporate into my shamanic practice.

I now among other shamanic work and clients ....do also work with other NDE survivors and it is a strange coincidence, that one of them, from NWT = up North, recently E-mailed me:
He was a truck driver on one of our Ice roads to deliver machinery to outlying mines. He fell through the ice with his truck and was on the bottom of the lake for 13 min and when they got him out he was dead and they warmed him up again and started CPR. After this incidence he totally changed who and what he was: no more booze, no more christianity, no more parties.
He had seen his Dene' Grandfather Spirit and went back to his Native roots. He too sees illness and pain but as yellow and blue!

Mycroft

I meant to add my 2p's worth on this, and forgot yesterday. I think that (assuming there is a purpose at all) there must be value in losing the fear of death. Fear of death is natural and right, after all - creatures have a survival instinct for a reason! But it makes sense to me that looking forward to the end of life (which doesn't imply wishing it sooner than its time) would be something I'd want in people, if I had a Big Task for them while living.
It's very interesting isn't it. The Tibetan Buddhists for example seem to see the whole of life as a preparation for being aware in death so that you can escape the wheel of samsara.
I'm increasingly drawn to this. I'm reading Robert Moss now ('Dreamgates') and have read two of Sandra Ingerman's. And Manda Scott on her very intelligent website.
I'd not heard of these two ladies, I'll have to check them out, thanks for sharing
And ever since, even though dreaming is gradually coming back, I have never had a dream of him. I always felt that he wasn't here, in some sense.
It's strange, in the seven years since my dad died I only had one dream that he featured in briefly. Since my NDE I can't seem to get to him to stay away!
... but in the early days after Owen died (he was less than a day old), my predominant concern was of him being without me. Somewhere alone, which must be the worst thing as a baby, abandoned and no one hearing you when you cry. That bothered me far more than when I considered me being without him. Maybe it was psychological, a way my mind protected me from the what I had to adjust to, but it so strongly felt like a mother's connection with her newborn
I feel the mind does work to protect us from the effect of great trauma and this possibly ties in with some of the discussions in earlier posts about soul loss and recovery.
This also reminds me of little Owen. He was brought back, not sure if it was one or two, or a few times. I concluded that he really, really hadn't wanted to be here. With Owen, the one time I had time with him (I was post-op and he wasn't by my bed), I didn't sing but listed his family members - told him his part in the human race, effectively. At the time I meant it as a welcome, but afterwards, it seemed significant.
Wherever Owen is now I hope he's at peace, here's a candle for him,

candle_in_hand_big.jpg

Mycroft

Again I went into the light but was send back by the same Clan Guardian, whom by then I recognized as being Umai E'ene'. Hospital records state I arrested and was dead for 4 min.
I find this utterly fascinating, people who come from cultures that still have a strong tribal heritage report that there are appointed guardians, so to speak, and they know who will be awaiting them upon death, which is very different from our modern western tradition where we just hope it's someone we know.
But watching with polite disinterest whatever is going on below... I had to again fall in love with my husband Peter, because, All emotions were wiped clean from my psyche even more so then on previous occasions...The thing is that after such an NDE, it takes month to regroup, regenerate feelings, because all became "unimportant and trivial" compared to "the bigger picture of expanded consciousness”...All every day concerns were small and petty and not worth to get into a huff about. Feelings of sympathy - or antipathy to people that I had before were gone!! And still are. Everything became "level and wide open and detached.”
Why is it that we have this disinterested view, is it becsuse in a higher state we are not so trapped by the illusion of the physical world or is there some more mysterious process here? Why when we return do we have this feeling of detachment and an inability to empathise with the concerns of others over things which suddenly have become so petty and small to us?
On the other hand I since then can see illness as either blue or red dots and patches in peoples bodies and "hear feelings" Those are "gifts" I had to incorporate into my shamanic practice.
This seems to completely correlate with the notion that we bring some form of spiritual gifts back with us after these experiences.

Great stuff Mi-Shell thank you so much for sharing your amazing NDE experiences :love:

Padma

I've been trying to catch up :) Firstly, thanks to all for your compassion. It is true, it was a terrible experience. I am ok, though! :)

Secondly, wow, well...June and MandMaud, sorry about your lost little souls... :( as a mother, I can imagine how heartbreaking that was! :heart: I don't quite understand why souls would come just to go through pregnancy...

Prudence, fascinating tales of the gurney! How glad I am that you survived - else, I would never have known you! And that would be a true loss. :love:

Mi-Shell...well, somehow, I am not surprised that you bested us all in your spiritual after- death scenarios. Seems you are a party to so much more knowledge than many of us have, even after the curtain falls! No wonder the path of shamanism called to you so strongly. I am so very, very sorry that Christian people beat you, in their sad misunderstanding of what constitutes a pure heart. All organized religions have a lot to answer for, it seems. :heart: so glad you survived! And that you have always kept your open, child-like view of things - your awe remains unbeaten! :thumbsup:

Michael (Calcifer) I know what you mean when you say something went terribly wrong. Have had that feeling upon return, myself. And - just cause you were newborn when you had your NDE - does not lessen its impact. Glad you survived! :heart:

If I left anyone out, I am sorry!

I thought that you (Mycroft, especially, but everyone else, too) might enjoy this site on NDE's. I am not affiliated to the site, but found it interesting...when you have experienced an NDE, it is good to read about the experience of others.

http://iands.org/home.html

SunsetKay

This feeling of 'not belonging' is very prevalent in our modern society I feel, but we all become conditioned to hide it. I personally suspect there must be some reason why we 'Kiss Death' and then return, and this may be that we establish a link or 'bridge' to higher energies

I agree wholeheartedly that many people feel this way. I feel it periodically. In this case, I think it's more that we are inherently incompatible with a modern lifestyle. But what I mean when I say it, is that there is somewhere else that I could or should[/i ] have been. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no desire to die, but there are moments that I can feel a completely different life as someone else. They don't come often, but they do come. I'll get glimpses of people that I don't know, living in places that I've never been. But I feel like I can understand it. It's the path I didn't take. I've never shared this with anyone.

In one recent dream I was standing on the forecourt of a filling station and an old decrepit car was propped up against the pumps. Suddenly a young woman dressed in the type of outfit that they wore in the 1950s appeared and placed a hose into the car, which required that she turned the nozzle until it clicked and then locked into place. Then she flicked a switch on the pump itself and the car began to fill up. I looked at the pump and saw that the sign on the top said 'Spirit of Ecstasy' at which point the woman pointed at the car which now looked very shiny and new. "It's okay now" she said with a wink "we're plugged in and filled up."

And I think that's part of the gift that we get. I think it comes with a hefty dose of understanding too. After my drowning incident (and this is why I think I DID die, even though my experience there doesn't match the seeming pattern to these experiences), I would have moments where I could understand almost everything. Like with the kids that watched me drown. I could see them. There was no need for questions, I didn't feel hurt by their not helping. I understood why they didn't and why it was necessary for all of us that they didn't.

I still do have these moments sometimes. They come without notice, but in them, it's like I'm outside of whatever situation that I'm in, and I can see inside everyone involved. I know why they say what they say, and do what they do, things they've never told a soul. I can see their perceptions. I understand what the reality is, and I hurt for them because it's like they have a film over their eyes that I can feel. At the same time I understand that it's necessary that they don't see it at that moment because I can see where they need to go and the blindness will take them there... It's the most indescribable feeling - the closest I can come is everything all at once. Whether there is "good" or "bad", they need to go. In those incredibly brief moments, I can almost understand how we all fit together. It's bigger than my head can handle, but I can accept it and understand in that way... If any of that made sense... Anyway, I guess that's what i mean by a connection that's other.

I meant to add my 2p's worth on this, and forgot yesterday. I think that (assuming there is a purpose at all) there must be value in losing the fear of death. Fear of death is natural and right, after all - creatures have a survival instinct for a reason! But it makes sense to me that looking forward to the end of life (which doesn't imply wishing it sooner than its time) would be something I'd want in people, if I had a Big Task for them while living.[/QUOTE ]

Insightful. I can honestly say that I don't fear it. Lol.

This does tie in with thoughts and suspicions I had when my son died. I wasn't physically good throughout that pregnancy (unlike with the two that were born healthy), and more significantly, didn't dream at all. Before that I had loads of long, colourful, vivid dreams, all my life - then got pregnant with Owen and stopped dreaming as if the dreams were cut off at source. And ever since, even though dreaming is gradually coming back, I have never had a dream of him. I always felt that he wasn't here, in some sense. Now that I'm used to the spiritual body, healing (not used to the various terms used for it, but I mean ourselves which isn't the obvious physical presence), I believe that's what wasn't here. In a way, he didn't arrive and leave, but never arrived even during the pregnancy.

I'm so sorry you lost your son.

What you say matches my experience with two of the three girls I lost. With both of my living sons and one of my daughters, Maggie, I dreamed during pregnancy. With my other two daughters, Trisha and Ruby, I did not
dream at all.

I've never had a communication from anyone after they died, and never had a sense of them being around beyond having them on my mind for a few days/weeks, but that only felt like my own train of thought... but in the early days after Owen died (he was less than a day old), my predominant concern was of him being without me. Somewhere alone, which must be the worst thing as a baby, abandoned and no one hearing you when you cry. That bothered me far more than when I considered me being without him. Maybe it was psychological, a way my mind protected me from the what I had to adjust to, but it so strongly felt like a mother's connection with her newborn, as I had with his brothers (one older, one younger).[/QUOTE ]

I believe that you're absolutely right.

I can't think that you aren't supposed to be here! If there is a "Meant" at all, surely it wouldn't get that wrong.

Well, I'm here, so I'd best figure out the why of it. :) Lol.

It was a rocky recovery from that, but not so much because of all the broken ribs and ... but because I was a changed person...

The thing is that after such an NDE, it takes month to regroup, regenerate feelings, because all became "unimportant and trivial" compared to "the bigger picture of expanded consciousness”
All every day concerns were small and petty and not worth to get into a huff about. Feelings of sympathy - or antipathy to people that I had before were gone!! And still are. Everything became "level and wide open and detached.” On the other hand I since then can see illness as either blue or red dots and patches in peoples bodies and "hear feelings".

I find it fascinating that this "other" connection is so common.. This sort of sense of knowing what is wrong and being able to see "how the pieces fit". I have no control over mine though, and it doesn't come often. And I don't see colors, I see "electric threads' for lack of a better description. Some darker, almost black - like fading light, some simply a warm glow, and some brightest, depending on what is wrong inside and which direction someone is heading.

I love this thread. It's comforting to read the commonalities.

*eta* Please excuse my messed up quotes, I can't figure out how to fix them.

MandMaud

Mi-Shell, my goodness. Even if you hadn't been born into a shamanic lineage, you would belong to shamanism after those experiences. Even without the accompanying NDEs, I should think.

All every day concerns were small and petty and not worth to get into a huff about. Feelings of sympathy - or antipathy to people that I had before were gone!! And still are. Everything became "level and wide open and detached.” On the other hand I since then can see illness as either blue or red dots and patches in peoples bodies and "hear feelings" Those are "gifts" I had to incorporate into my shamanic practice.

Two things strike me. One what you say about "after such an NDE, it takes month to regroup, regenerate feelings"... the wording reminded me of being told similar about brain damage. Which of course is an enormous "attack" on the system. I had a stroke (or two or three!) and I know people who've had head injuries. They told me that even though the damage is in one specific area which may be very small, the whole brain needs to "re-jig" - I think "re-wire" - and that takes about six months. Another friend lost an eye to cancer and was told it takes the brain about six months to adjust, not only learning a new habit, but the less conscious learning, I think.

The other thing your words made me think of was that I had this feeling after Owen died; I'd been very shy as a child and had never got rid of self-consciousness, but I was no longer self-conscious even in the situations that made me conspicuous. the little stuff like what people thought just didn't matter.

In those days I read a lot of psychology and more or less dismissed all this spiritual stuff. It was vaguely interesting that accounts of NDEs have things in common, for instance, but I didn't think any of it could be true. (That was back then!) Anyway I like the fact that every label given by psychology can be equally validly labelled spiritually. I mean, PTSD or soul loss - that kind of equivalence. I don't dismiss the "orthodox science" view of things now; I believe these are all ways of describing the same phenomena. It doesn't matter whether you call something schizophrenia or possession by spirits, since as far as I know from reading around, treatments from either tradition will have the same effect no matter which tradition you buy into.

... If I'm being clear! :laugh:

I'd not heard of these two ladies, I'll have to check them out, thanks for sharing

I found Sandra Ingerman much more accessible (maybe because my copy of Robert Moss has small, faint text!). Manda Scott doesn't have a high opinion of Ingerman, saying she claims it's all easy and pretty, Disney-esque and downplays the dark side, the dangers of journeying. But Ingerman does very firmly tell the reader to beware and not to be led by hubris, etc, so maybe Scott's objection is based more on writing style!

It's strange, in the seven years since my dad died I only had one dream that he featured in briefly. Since my NDE I can't seem to get to him to stay away!

I do dream quite often of my mum, who died 4 years ago. But still never of Owen, or even a dream in which I had lost Owen. Thank you for the candle. :)

Oh, talking of the parallel/overlap/conflict(?) between soul loss and the mind protecting itself from trauma - many victims of abuse share a sense of compartmentalising their minds (or their Selves, I suppose), having a room or a box into which they can step during the abuse so as to be not present. That's in the psych. literature!

Why is it that we have this disinterested view, is it becsuse in a higher state we are not so trapped by the illusion of the physical world or is there some more mysterious process here? Why when we return do we have this feeling of detachment and an inability to empathise with the concerns of others over things which suddenly have become so petty and small to us?

Maybe emotions really are more rooted in the physical than I like to think. The physical including hormones (pheromones, adrenaline), synapses, that kind of thing.

I've been trying to catch up :) Firstly, thanks to all for your compassion. It is true, it was a terrible experience. I am ok, though! :)

Secondly, wow, well...June and MandMaud, sorry about your lost little souls... :( as a mother, I can imagine how heartbreaking that was! :heart: I don't quite understand why souls would come just to go through pregnancy...

With my mind I can theorise: we have a quota of time here, which is spread over x lifetimes, and there's a few months or days left over... or (as many, many bereaved parents say), they were too perfect for this world in the first place... or (the most believable to me) something goes wrong at the very beginning, when the soul joins to the body, and the connection isn't completely made so it only lasts a certain length of life (wantonly using terms I don't have definitions for) - hence all the miscarriages that are just "one of those things". This is all intellect-thinking though. My intuition has nothing to say on the question.

Another thing I've just remembered. My grandmother was in hospital and nursing home for the last five months, having done pretty well up to breaking a rib in a fall that would have broken anyone's rib (she was pretty hard to floor ;)). In there, esp. in the hospital, she saw all sorts of things. My mum visited every day and heard most of it, but believed my gran wasn't talking about the unpleasant ones. We originally put it down to the morphine but she was only on that for the first three weeks and we had no other explanation. She saw, for example, a man painting the wall opposite her bed - which was actually a row of lockers - and another time, a very beautifully-patterned silk scarf, predominantly peacock blue but it had lots of colours. Once when I got there with my then husband, we and my mum were at one side of the bed and the curtain was closed the other side, and my gran kept turning to the other side where she had a visitor, an elderly lady, and Granny kept introducing us: "This is my daughter Sue, and my granddaughter and her husband..." - then turning back to us and saying, "There's no one there, is there?" but then turning and speaking to that other lady again. It creeped my mum out but it didn't scare my gran, and hence didn't bother me, but it was interesting!

No idea if this is part of the same kind of thing. I don't think being in the hospital was a huge shock as she'd spent a lot of time in hospitals over the years, but I do know breaking a rib is very traumatic in many cases. She also, come to think of it, had a "dulling" of emotional connection: her favourite younger brother died during the time she was there, but when told she barely reacted, like "Oh, ok," and that was it.

She was prone all her life to odd visions and "fancies" that no one took seriously. :)