Has anyone read a book by Mouni Sadhu?

Phoenix Rising

This book is called "The tarot - A Contemporary Course of the Quintessence of Hermetic Occultism.
It is pretty heavy going and delves into the magical, occult, qabbala, hebrew of the tarot.
The Astrological correspondences are totally different to what I've read in most other books ie:
Emperor - Jupiter
Heirophant - Aries
lovers - Taurus
Chariot - Gemini
Justice - Cancer
Hermit - leo
Wheel - virgo
Strength - mars
Hanged man - libra
Temperance - scorpio
Devil - Sagitarius
Tower - capricorn
Star -Mercury
Moon - aquarius
Sun - pisces
Judgment - Saturn
World - sun

high priestess and empress were the same as we know it. Magician and Death had hebrew letters assigned to it instead.
The author was schooled in the mystery schools and certainly knew his stuff. so who's right folks?

Rusty Neon

Phoenix Rising said:
The author was schooled in the mystery schools and certainly knew his stuff. so who's right folks?

There are many different systems of card-to-planet correspondences around. IMHO, no one single system of correspondences is the "right" one. It boils down to what any given occultist thought to be the best fit, as far as he himself was concerned. Use whichever one makes most sense to you; and feel free to experiment. The system that a good number of Anglo-American tarotists use by default (and not necessarily by conviction) or as a starting point for devising their own personal systems is the one outlined by the Golden Dawn. However, that said, the GD system is not the "right" one either.

jmd

Dimitr Sudowski - to give his other name - was part of a small group who worked in various ways in Melbourne until the late-1960s.

His book on the Tarot, as also his others on Theurgy, Meditation, Contemplation - and a couple of others I would have to look up - are generally very wordy, but also very good.

For what it's worth, I think it is a pretty useful book to balance out dominant views - but is, as mentioned by Rusty Neon, but one of a number of 'different systems of card-to-planet correspondences around'.

I would suggest making careful note of those - and then seriously questioning why and how the correspondences may both fit and not fit... likewise for other such attributions.

In case you are also interested in reading another thread which mentions Mouni Sadhu, see the thread entitled (probably inaccurately) Marseilles Tarots - a precursor to what eventually became a 'study group', and then the History & Iconography Forum, which Ophiel, others and I participated over two years ago.

Some of the views I express in that thread I would now modify a little... but essentially, the comments stand for what they are. Also note that the posts were made prior to vBulletin being used, and some codes operated then differently (of note is the [ quote ] & [ super ] codes).