Dream interpretation - journeying or dreaming?

WolfSwan

I would like to know if what happened to me was part of a journeying experience or if it was just a dream. I rarely remember my dreams, or have intense dreams. Usually just a day or so before / after the full moon, and even then I rarely remember the dream. This morning I had a very intense dream, and I remember most aspects of it with clarity. I dreamed in colour too.

It started at this house by the beach. It was my ex's mother's house (we'll call her L). I've only been there once, and it wasn't exactly the same. I was there with my friend AE and KB...however I have a feeling that these two were actually my guides in disguise. At the L's house they were in the background as I was talking to her. I don't recall what the conversation was about but I do know I was waiting for my ex J to come back.

As L and I walked outside J came out the front door, took one look towards us, sneered and went around the corner. I thought it was directed at me in the dream, but now I wonder if it wasn't directed at his mother (they had a volatile relationship when he was younger, which seems to have softened now for the most part). Anyway, I was pretty hurt and I left to go to a beach cafe (no idea where this place is) but it was a marina style location.

I was at a table waiting with AE when I see KB walking towards us with J. J hadn't seen me yet and I instinctively jumped up and ran. I actually remember being puffed out as I was running, feeling the burn in my legs (it's been awhile since I've been running!) and I ran down the broadway, up the hill, towards a park bench shelter where people have BBQ picnics. There was a boy playing with a water fountain and I remember watching him for awhile.

I remember there was something significant about that, because after that I thought, okay, it's time to go back. As I was wandering back, AE and KB found me, they were standing a level about and came down to see me. I asked what had happened and they said J hadn't noticed me run away, but they'd told him they were doing what's best for me and thought they should meet him alone. I said that probably hadn't helped the situation and it would be best if I spoke to him.

So the next thing I'm in a room with him and we're talking. I told him I was hurt by the sneer, I remember bits of the conversation - how it was always hard to read him, he never showed how he felt, he never expressed his emotions and how hard I found that. We talked a long time, and some of the conversation I don't remember. I do remember that he questioned whether us not being together was the best idea and I told him that it was for the best for both of us. I knew there was a guy out there who was a perfect match for me, and someone else out there who would be great for him. He had that familiar look on his face of disbelief mixed with hope.

I remember hugging him and stroking the nape of his neck like I used to. I even remember feeling him pressed up against me. It all felt real. He did start to cry (I've never seen him cry, just close to tears a few times) and he questioned again whether we should be together, and I again said that we shouldn't and it was best to go our separate ways.

I woke up feeling free, but with a slight heaviness in my chest. Like I'd released something but it was painful, perhaps it had opened my heart doing this work.

Can anyone tell the difference between a dream and a shamanic journeying experience? Was this a sign of me using my shamanic skills to journey and release this energy, or could it just be a significant dream? If so, what does it actually mean? I remember waking up and taking 3 cleansing breaths with the intention of releasing all that energy before I fell back asleep.

Eva4

I have had "dreams" of this kind but it was years ago. I can't really answer your question but I will say what's important is what it means to you. It might take years to fully understand. Hope this makes sense.

Tigerangel

I really not so sure of the difference myself, but I do know that dreams you remember clearly always have a message for you, and it seem that the little boy and water fountain are significant for you in a shamanic sense, I don't know if this will help or not but it explains how to enter back into a dream to find its meaning, and from what I read if your where to interact with the energy of the Water fountain, you would travel to the upper world, as I would class that as an sculpture, and your dream sounds like it took place in the middle world.
http://www.docdreamuk.com/ShamanicDreaming.html

I'm going to be trying journeying back to a dream I had the other night aswell which I think took place in the middle world aswell, I want to connect with the energy of two wild cats that came in through my bedroom window, in my dream I was scared of them and tried to wake my partner up, but he was of no help at all, I woke up before I could even interact with the wild cats, so from what I've read for me to connect with them I need to journey to the lower world to find them and ask them what there message means.

WolfSwan

I really not so sure of the difference myself, but I do know that dreams you remember clearly always have a message for you, and it seem that the little boy and water fountain are significant for you in a shamanic sense, I don't know if this will help or not but it explains how to enter back into a dream to find its meaning, and from what I read if your where to interact with the energy of the Water fountain, you would travel to the upper world, as I would class that as an sculpture, and your dream sounds like it took place in the middle world.
http://www.docdreamuk.com/ShamanicDreaming.html

I'm going to be trying journeying back to a dream I had the other night aswell which I think took place in the middle world aswell, I want to connect with the energy of two wild cats that came in through my bedroom window, in my dream I was scared of them and tried to wake my partner up, but he was of no help at all, I woke up before I could even interact with the wild cats, so from what I've read for me to connect with them I need to journey to the lower world to find them and ask them what there message means.

Oh this is really interesting. I will try to go back to the boy and the water fountain. After that experience I did go back to see my ex...it was as if I released a fear somehow at that water fountain.

Hopefully I'll be able to access that dream again. I will post back if anything else develops. I've heard wild cats are powerful, so it would be interesting to see what their message was for you.

DDwarks

I know the difference. Dreams are dreams. You're asleep when they happen.
To journey you need to be in sort of trance state. Not asleep!
What you've had is a message. But definitely not a shamanic journey.

WolfSwan

Any idea what the message means?

Also, it was early this morning, I'm not sure I was actually fully asleep and not in a trance state (I'd gotten up to feed the cats and gone back to bed).

And then what's the difference between journeying and lucid dreaming?

SweetSiren

Shamans get some things done while in dream world. I haven't the slightest idea where you'd get that opinion.

SweetSiren

Any idea what the message means?

Also, it was early this morning, I'm not sure I was actually fully asleep and not in a trance state (I'd gotten up to feed the cats and gone back to bed).

And then what's the difference between journeying and lucid dreaming?

What they could have meant is that a journey does require a sort of awareness. Most of the time when we're asleep, they're just images being projected to us without our awareness of them.

DDwarks

Shamans get some things done while in dream world. I haven't the slightest idea where you'd get that opinion.

Yes we do. In lucid dream states. like my great uncle did and my nan and their grandpa etc...
Those are NOT journeys.

DDwarks

What they could have meant is that a journey does require a sort of awareness. Most of the time when we're asleep, they're just images being projected to us without our awareness of them.

I had a massive reply for you and then something happened and it didn't get posted!
Frustrating!
What you had was a lucid dream. You can access those by clearly setting your intention for them before going to sleep. Like you have done with the cleansing bath. Your mind took you there. You were in a state where you were dreaming but aware you were dreaming.
The other way to lucid dream is to wake up say 2hr before the alarm clock, get busy doing something (anything) and go back to bed. Which you've also done.
Those aren't shamanic journeys.