Nightmares

RiverRunsDeep

It was quite sick

I wouldnt want anyone to interpret it

Well, i was chased and i fought back but in the endwas a woman committed a woman who was like a corpse and bits missing...and being in a mental experimengal institution .and enjoying making me mad and scaring me...horrble..u know what, i think iwas watching too many episodes of criminal minds.....ps my daily lfe is good

I think it is safe to say we all have "sick" dreams every so often. It is the nature of nightmares, in spite of having a daily life that is good. IMHO, it is our mind's way of purging ourselves of our worries and anxieties.

Your nightmare seems to fit the theme of having no control, feeling trapped and cornered by people or circumstances, and the feeling of frustration that comes with being powerless to change the situation. But, if none of that makes sense then, yes, maybe you should substitute Little House on the Prairie for Criminal Minds. ;)

ETA: Also, I agree with Alta. The best way to rid yourself of the nightmare is to get out of bed, get up and get moving, immerse yourself in some mundane tasks to keep your mind busy. The less you focus on the details of the dream upon awakening, the sooner they should fade away.

AnemoneRosie

Well, it's 3am for me and I'm here, so I feel your distress. I get frequent nightmares although tbh I have four dreamcatchers and I don't have as many nightmares as I did since getting them. Someone gave them to me for my birthday (I'm Aquarius) and since then I've had fewer nighttime scares. So that's nice.

I know it's hard to do whist terrified, but getting up helps. It helps to see that the world around me that I can smell/touch/see/hear/taste is not the same world as the one in my sleeping hours. So I get up and spent some time touching solid objects like the table (and really noticing it - right now my arms are heavy on the table), having some juice (taste), hearing the traffic go by (right now I hear the snowplows clearing the roads), seeing something to concentrate on (this post) and I smelled a scent stick that I keep near me for this purpose. I also use the scent stick on my skin to have during the day in case the nightmare comes back during waking hours (because sometimes lingering dreams happen to me).

The other thing that I ended up doing was going to therapy to address the content of the nightmares as, for me, they're firmly rooted in the trauma that I've experienced.

Emma313

I think it is safe to say we all have "sick" dreams every so often. It is the nature of nightmares, in spite of having a daily life that is good. IMHO, it is our mind's way of purging ourselves of our worries and anxieties.

Your nightmare seems to fit the theme of having no control, feeling trapped and cornered by people or circumstances, and the feeling of frustration that comes with being powerless to change the situation. But, if none of that makes sense then, yes, maybe you should substitute Little House on the Prairie for Criminal Minds. ;)

ETA: Also, I agree with Alta. The best way to rid yourself of the nightmare is to get out of bed, get up and get moving, immerse yourself in some mundane tasks to keep your mind busy. The less you focus on the details of the dream upon awakening, the sooner they should fade away.

Thanks River
For the record (as they say) no nghtmare bothers me after Ive woken up..Im ok,
Your interpretation is more or less spot on though...I wont wash my dirty laundry online but its the old story of happy families and home how much of it is real happy and how much you are sayng happy enough is..and how much you sill put up with verus your own natural version of freedom and happness.....i have alot that is blessed and contentment like a kind supportive lovng partner and a beatuiful child but what that sick half eaten woman was I dunno lol...mYbe it was ME and my shadow...anyway..ta again for food for thought x

Emma313

Well, it's 3am for me and I'm here, so I feel your distress. I get frequent nightmares although tbh I have four dreamcatchers and I don't have as many nightmares as I did since getting them. Someone gave them to me for my birthday (I'm Aquarius) and since then I've had fewer nighttime scares. So that's nice.

I know it's hard to do whist terrified, but getting up helps. It helps to see that the world around me that I can smell/touch/see/hear/taste is not the same world as the one in my sleeping hours. So I get up and spent some time touching solid objects like the table (and really noticing it - right now my arms are heavy on the table), having some juice (taste), hearing the traffic go by (right now I hear the snowplows clearing the roads), seeing something to concentrate on (this post) and I smelled a scent stick that I keep near me for this purpose. I also use the scent stick on my skin to have during the day in case the nightmare comes back during waking hours (because sometimes lingering dreams happen to me).

The other thing that I ended up doing was going to therapy to address the content of the nightmares as, for me, they're firmly rooted in the trauma that I've experienced.
hI Anemone
Ive never understood how dreamcatchers work
Anyway Im OK as I said to River, it wasnt as big a deal as maybe I sounded
I totally get your ritual and Im glad you have control
Recently I have micro panic attacks...I have refused to let them take over so deal with them pdq...1) remember to breathe relax 2)say dont need this sh&t 3) acknowledge they happen for a reason but let it go and it goes 4) rely on the most confident solid thing about yourself that you beleve in..gives you strength xx

bonebeach

I rarely have nightmares, but when I do, I immediately go to my phone and do something utterly, utterly mundane, like browse reddit. Something real world and dull and not at all scary or esoteric or symbolic. Then after ten minutes or so I'm firmly in reality and probably bored, so I go back to sleep. ;)

Of course, I also have the apartment decked out in protective measures, spiritual and otherwise, so at very least that helps my peace of mind--and does the baseball bat by my side of the bed.

Emma313

I rarely have nightmares, but when I do, I immediately go to my phone and do something utterly, utterly mundane, like browse reddit. Something real world and dull and not at all scary or esoteric or symbolic. Then after ten minutes or so I'm firmly in reality and probably bored, so I go back to sleep. ;)

Of course, I also have the apartment decked out in protective measures, spiritual and otherwise, so at very least that helps my peace of mind--and does the baseball bat by my side of the bed.

Thats why we live on earth, it helps to

To be sane and grounded

Its ok to explore x y z but practicality rules

Richard

I have unpleasant anxiety dreams, usually associated with academia, but seldom have full blown nightmares. Dream catchers seem to work for some people. I think such magical props work best if you believe (or at least pretend to believe) that they work.

Emma313

I have unpleasant anxiety dreams, usually associated with academia, but seldom have full blown nightmares. Dream catchers seem to work for some people. I think such magical props work best if you believe (or at least pretend to believe) that they work.

Thanks Richard
I might try one

I have no idea about american indian folklore and traditions but they sound like a solidly spiritual bunch, (and have nice music which I used to rock my daughter go sleep with)

I believe most dreams are the mind sorting itself out but sometimes something real wierd comes out the blue which I guess is from the subconscious
cheers all xx

Emily

When I gave my son the dream catcher, I thought too that it would be a "prop" but it did seem to work, I was willing to try anything before resorting to medical help. Even now all these years later, I still take it down every few weeks to blow the old nightmares away. :)