Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews - Tarot Forum - Free Tarot Readings - Tarot Card Meanings - Tarot Spreads

Book on Creating Spreads?

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media

Citizen

crystalrose 
Book on Creating Spreads?

Does anyone have good book recs on creating spreads? I'd like to start learning how to make my own, but don't know where to start. And if anybody has thoughts on the Deck of 1000 Spreads, I'd be interested in that too.
Top   #1
Resident

IreneCroft 

Hi, crystalrose!

It's a bit strange that no one have answered yet, so I decided to be the first.

I can highly recommend two books:
1. Designing Your Own Tarot Spreads by Teresa Michelsen
2. Tarot Spreads: Layouts & Techniques to Empower Your Readings by Barbara Moore

Michelsen's book has practical exercises, and Moore's one tells much about geometry of layouts (the form does matter). Both books cover different sources of inspiration when creating a spread and give lots of examples.
Top   #2
student of tarot

rwcarter 

For a free resource, take a look at Collaborative Spread Creation - Suggestion Thread and Index over in the Tarot Spreads forum. There are 10 different threads where you can see the process of taking a situation/need and turning that into a spread.

Rodney
Top   #3
Citizen

crystalrose 

Thank you! I purchased the Barbara Moore book & I'll have a look at that thread when I have the time.
Top   #4
Citizen

Nemia 

I'm a fan of the Deck of 1000 Spreads and its accompanying book. I found the book very concise in explaining the basic structure of many existing spreads, and how to design your own spreads. Obviously, her spread positions can't cover all eventualities, but there are blank cards - and you can always make up your own cards. I made maps for my most-useful spreads.

And a certain consistency pays off after a while - you can follow up on the cards that showed up in a certain position over time.
Top   #5
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 

Personally, I don't use spread books, since there are really only a handful of basic themes, and everything else is mostly creative riffing on those themes. "Past/present/future" is the most obvious one, and all manner of imaginative hair-splitting goes on around that. Another one is the "focus-card-and-supporting-influences" theme, a third is the "dual-train" (and sometimes "multi-train") theme of comparative factors intended to support a decision of some sort, a fourth is the "yes/no" approach (which might be seen as a specialized case of the "dual-train" theme), and a fifth "catch-all" category would be the "developmental" theme (the Celtic Cross is one) that encompasses both timing elements and the evolutionary growth of a matter toward a particular outcome. Then there are the "pattern-based" layouts (stars, circles, squares, arcs, etc.) that don't have any intrinsic interpretive significance beyond being pleasingly balanced. There are also "psychological insight" spreads of different types ("thinks/feels" questions inspire a good many of them) but I don't use tarot for that purpose, finding astrology a much more effective tool for it. I'm not sure a thorough analysis has ever been done, but I would be surprised if there are more than a dozen or so "core" themes driving the thousands of different spreads out there.
Top   #6
Citizen

andromedastarseed 

There's always your friend Google.
Top   #7
Luna's Granny

Luna's Crone 

I was interested in the book of 365 daily spreads or whateve. my problem is coming up with the question or statement for each card. I know what i want but to put it in words just is going right with me. plus, I have only been partially concentrating on spreads for about 1.5 to 2 months. Heck, I started working on tarot before xmas last year 2015 and i still have trouble remembering some of the basic RWS stuff cuz i usually use my own interpretations. The first spread that i did, had the 5 of clubs. I saw it as the teamwork of my husbands medical team at that time. Cuz the card appeared to be a young group practicing how to use their clubs in warfare. Which in my husbands case was CA but its all gone. phew.
Top   #8
Citizen

CrystalSeas 
James Ricklef

This was a really great book
Tarot: Get the Whole Story Use, Create & Interpret Tarot Spreads

by James Ricklef
Top   #9
Citizen

Citrin 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna's Crone View Post
I was interested in the book of 365 daily spreads or whateve. my problem is coming up with the question or statement for each card.
Well the good thing with that book is that most of the spreads don't really require a question. They already have a theme and set positions that are quite specific, so you just go along for the ride lol. I think it's a really nice book, especially if you find yourself wanting to work with tarot on a daily basis and want to keep it creative and varied, not just past-present-future or body-mind-spirit etc.
Top   #10

More interesting threads on the Aeclectic Tarot Forum...

Elsewhere on Aeclectic Tarot
· Tarot Cards & Reviews
· Free Tarot Readings
· What's New
· Tarot Card Meanings

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2021 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.