Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews - Tarot Forum - Free Tarot Readings - Tarot Card Meanings - Tarot Spreads

Book of Azathoth


> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Books & Media




 
Luna's Crone's Avatar
Luna's Crone  Luna's Crone is offline
Luna's Granny
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 1,507
Luna's Crone 
Book of Azathoth


Does anyone know of a book written for the deck Book of Azathoth? Not the sci-fi Lovecraft wrote.
Top   #1
Luna's Crone's Avatar
Luna's Crone  Luna's Crone is offline
Luna's Granny
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 1,507
Luna's Crone 

i just went to nemo's locker and its posted that the book is coming soon. He is also selling the 2nd edition. I already love this deck and can't wait for the book.
Top   #2
laurenhuang  laurenhuang is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 16 May 2016
Location: Singapore
Posts: 48
laurenhuang 

I love this deck too
But unfortunately it is too costly for me,
After Shipping, it will be SGD 83 for me
Top   #3
rygD  rygD is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2016
Location: US
Posts: 41
rygD 

This is a deck I have been considering since I first saw it shortly after it was released. I initially didn't like the backs, but since that was changed I don't have a good excuse not to get them eventually. I will check around here for some reviews (there are still a few more decks higher up on my list).

Lovecraft inspired decks are what drew me to tarot, and this was originally for the art, and the way the stories are used in the images...to tell other stories. I would like to take a look at the book when it is released. It has been a while since it was announced, so I don't know when that will be
Top   #4
Zephyros's Avatar
Zephyros  Zephyros is offline
Jedi
 
Join Date: 31 Jan 2004
Location: Israel
Posts: 8,179
Zephyros 

I heartily recommend this deck. It has amazing, original art and really looks like something out of this world, like a Tarot deck someone one might use in another dimension (as was its intent). If I remember correctly the artist said it was not meant to be derived from any specific Lovecraft stories but the general atmosphere and aesthetic was what inspired it. That's great for me since I admit I haven't read any Lovecraft. Still, at the very least I can recognize C'thulu (sp?) as the Emperor. Maybe the book will reveal specifics about the images.

I have the first edition, kindly given to me by a member that is sadly no longer here, with the problematic backs. I admit that I don't like them but they don't bother me too much. The link becomes a pattern in your eyes after many uses, and the almost complete pentagram is lovely.

Beyond that, the deck shows its creator has real knowledge and understanding of Tarot, blending both RWS as well as Thoth influences very well. Despite how different the images look they are still basically RWS for the most part with a few Thoth touches her and there, like the titles of the cards and the art on some. It also has something the RWS is missing, the astrological attributions. This is very useful to me, having an RWS deck but with all the information on it like in the Thoth.

Good stuff, very good stuff. I eagerly await the book. To be honest I probably won't get it unless I see that it can really benefit me, but maybe it will inspire me to finally read me some Lovecraft. Does Nemo say when it will be published?
Top   #5
rygD  rygD is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 07 Jun 2016
Location: US
Posts: 41
rygD 

I think the stories of Lovecraft and friends are mainstream enough now that one doesn't need to read them to be familiar with some of the symbolism. It actually might be better not to know what is being depicted (in the stories the characters often only had passing knowledge of something, and it didn't really make things any better to know more). I was also never really frightened by these stories, so just feeling like they belong is good enough for me. I will look go look at some of the cards again so I can get a feel for them.

In a couple of my decks Cthulhu is on the devil card. I don't really think that is fitting. I think of him more as the pope/heirophant. Maybe the Elder Things, or something along those lines, should be the devil. R'lyeh seems suitable for the tower...ya know what, maybe I will throw something together (i have some ideas for two variations of something like this). I would love something simple and older looking that has little hints for those that notice them, but otherwise resembles a TdM or similar. I don't feel I have the artistic talent for the images, and it is hard to add just enough to get the point across but not so much that those ideas take over.

On the site it says you can sign up to be notified when the book is available. I haven't heard anything more on the Lovecraft fan side of things.
Top   #6
Luna's Crone's Avatar
Luna's Crone  Luna's Crone is offline
Luna's Granny
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 1,507
Luna's Crone 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenhuang View Post
I love this deck too
But unfortunately it is too costly for me,
After Shipping, it will be SGD 83 for me
what is sgd equivalent to usd?
Top   #7
Luna's Crone's Avatar
Luna's Crone  Luna's Crone is offline
Luna's Granny
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 1,507
Luna's Crone 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygD View Post
This is a deck I have been considering since I first saw it shortly after it was released. I initially didn't like the backs, but since that was changed I don't have a good excuse not to get them eventually. I will check around here for some reviews (there are still a few more decks higher up on my list).

Lovecraft inspired decks are what drew me to tarot, and this was originally for the art, and the way the stories are used in the images...to tell other stories. I would like to take a look at the book when it is released. It has been a while since it was announced, so I don't know when that will be
the end of this year/beginning of next
Top   #8
Luna's Crone's Avatar
Luna's Crone  Luna's Crone is offline
Luna's Granny
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 1,507
Luna's Crone 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyros View Post
I heartily recommend this deck. It has amazing, original art and really looks like something out of this world, like a Tarot deck someone one might use in another dimension (as was its intent). If I remember correctly the artist said it was not meant to be derived from any specific Lovecraft stories but the general atmosphere and aesthetic was what inspired it. That's great for me since I admit I haven't read any Lovecraft. Still, at the very least I can recognize C'thulu (sp?) as the Emperor. Maybe the book will reveal specifics about the images.

I have the first edition, kindly given to me by a member that is sadly no longer here, with the problematic backs. I admit that I don't like them but they don't bother me too much. The link becomes a pattern in your eyes after many uses, and the almost complete pentagram is lovely.

Beyond that, the deck shows its creator has real knowledge and understanding of Tarot, blending both RWS as well as Thoth influences very well. Despite how different the images look they are still basically RWS for the most part with a few Thoth touches her and there, like the titles of the cards and the art on some. It also has something the RWS is missing, the astrological attributions. This is very useful to me, having an RWS deck but with all the information on it like in the Thoth.

Good stuff, very good stuff. I eagerly await the book. To be honest I probably won't get it unless I see that it can really benefit me, but maybe it will inspire me to finally read me some Lovecraft. Does Nemo say when it will be published?
use red and black sharpies to fill in the colors.

to be truthful, i didn't sense a whole lot of thoth, but its is definitely rws. I just love it.

it was taken from the book "Azathoth"
Top   #9
Luna's Crone's Avatar
Luna's Crone  Luna's Crone is offline
Luna's Granny
 
Join Date: 23 Oct 2015
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Posts: 1,507
Luna's Crone 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygD View Post
I think the stories of Lovecraft and friends are mainstream enough now that one doesn't need to read them to be familiar with some of the symbolism. It actually might be better not to know what is being depicted (in the stories the characters often only had passing knowledge of something, and it didn't really make things any better to know more). I was also never really frightened by these stories, so just feeling like they belong is good enough for me. I will look go look at some of the cards again so I can get a feel for them.

In a couple of my decks Cthulhu is on the devil card. I don't really think that is fitting. I think of him more as the pope/heirophant. Maybe the Elder Things, or something along those lines, should be the devil. R'lyeh seems suitable for the tower...ya know what, maybe I will throw something together (i have some ideas for two variations of something like this). I would love something simple and older looking that has little hints for those that notice them, but otherwise resembles a TdM or similar. I don't feel I have the artistic talent for the images, and it is hard to add just enough to get the point across but not so much that those ideas take over.

On the site it says you can sign up to be notified when the book is available. I haven't heard anything more on the Lovecraft fan side of things.
There really isn't a whole lot of symbolism in my deck. I have to check them out with a magnifer glass. There are the regular symbolism you find in alot decks, hebrew alphabet, astro and of course the elements. I think the alphabet is used???? sheese can't remember.

the suits are different species from the book (i think)
Top   #10

 

More interesting threads on the Aeclectic Tarot Forum...





 


Elsewhere on Aeclectic Tarot
· Tarot Cards & Reviews
· Free Tarot Readings
· What's New
· Tarot Card Meanings

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2021 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.