Comparison of Divination media (tarot vs. oracle decks vs. runes vs. I Ching, etc.

Rusty Neon

Various issues:
  • Which "divination media" (e.g., tarot, oracle decks, runes, I Ching, dominoes, Ifa, mahjong, etc.) do you use for which purpose?
  • Are there some divination media that you use for certain purposes, and other divination media for other purposes?
  • Which divination media do you find to be most accurate?

zorya

when i am asking about something very specific and want a blunt answer, i use runes.

when i am just looking for inspirational advice, i turn to one of my inspirational type oracle decks, like my current fav. lynn andrews power deck

for questions regarding creativity, i like the mantegna tarot. (actually an oracle and not tarot)

for general questions, and those where i am looking for a broader answer, i use tarot.

when wanting to commune more directly with my spirit guides, i use scrying, often with a crystal ball.

i read all kind of things daily, just as a matter of course. sometimes sticks on the ground, or an animal i see will 'say' something to me.

i find them all to be accurate, but tarot is my favorite as it is so versatile.

contrascarpe

Presently I only use Tarot and non-Tarot Oracles. I do have the Tao Oracle which explains I Ching, but right now I feel I enough on my plate and do not want to confuse myself by learning more. Runes interest me somewhat but I don't know enough about them.

Dan

Pagan X

Runes: Never grabbed me. There just weren't enough different runes to reach the level of complexity that keeps my monkey mind occupied in the back of the bus.

I Ching: coins: to generate hexagrams and moving lines: satisfactory results for questions concerning myself with either Huang or Wilhelm/Baynes translations.

I Ching:computer: to generate hexagrams and moving lines for myself with Wilhelm/Baynes translation.

Tarot: Universal Waite/Rider Waite Smith/Aquarian/Palladini all work well for me using the Celtic Cross layout with either physical cards or using software. Cards recur between readings in the same or progressed positions using different decks or using both virtual and physical decks. Proves the recurrances are not artifacts of poor shuffling!

Tarot:International Icon physical deck works great in readings for a friend of mine who is an atheist. He mocks. I ignore him and say true things.

Tarot:Hanson Roberts physical deck works best for my 12 year old son

Tarot: Golden Tarot: too formal for reading. Excellent for bedtime meditation.

Dream journal: Interesting predictions and insights come to me in dreams, so I record them upon awakening. This is more likely to happen if I just look at some Tarot cards before going to sleep. I sleep better too; I think I've trained myself to relax with them.

I Ching overall gives simpler answers than the Tarot for me. The I Ching is best for a very specific question, a binary decision, or a decision involving business affairs and formal conduct. The Tarot provides an overview, sometimes an overview of what the cards think is important instead of what I asked about, and also covers a wider period of time. Both Tarot and Dreams have startled me with prescience and clairvoyance.

Pagan X

Zorya reminded me--yes, sometimes I note omens too. As described, sometimes animals, colors, objects just mean something. Not necessarily book meanings either.

The car radio and songs that come on is an oracle in itself...

darwinia

Pagan X said:
The car radio and songs that come on is an oracle in itself...

Absolutely.

"Wooden ships on the water very free and easy
Easy you know the way it's supposed to be
Silver people on the shoreline leave us be
Very free and easy
Sail away where the mornin sun goes high
Sail away where the wind blows sweet and young birds fly
Take a sister by her hand
Lead her far from this barren land
Horror grips us as we watch you die
All we can do is echo your anguished cry and
Stare as all you human feelings die
We are leaving
You don't need us
Go and take a sister by her hand
Lead her far from this foreign land
Somewhere where we might laugh again
We are leaving
You don't need us"

I think Internet spam performs a similar action--the "capital advisor" says our mortgage rates are too high, poor Lorene nearly lost her home until she found the right interest rate, Sandy says she'll never break anyone's heart and Maria has the biggest one so you'll never run out of gas.

It's so nice to see success being predicted in life.

Of course this could mean that your wife Lorene is going to take you for all you're worth, break your leg after unsuccessfuly trying to stab your left ventricle, and then put you in a huge van and try to dump you on a side road that's not within walkable distance of a gas station with a pay phone.

I think I'll go back to using The Flower Speaks.

hedgecub

*rofls* freesiaskye, you made my day :D *giggles madly*

diane drizzy

Hi Rusty Neon!

I basically use my Faeries Oracle as my "Swiss Army Knife".:joke:
I find that they give me answers, but they also make me look inside myself and make me think. Plus if it's a serious issue they lighten it up!

NeXoRiouS

Re: Comparison of Divination media (tarot vs. oracle decks vs. runes vs. I Ching, etc.

Rusty Neon said:
Various issues:
  • Which "divination media" (e.g., tarot, oracle decks, runes, I Ching, dominoes, Ifa, mahjong, etc.) do you use for which purpose?

Who uses mahjong?