Hopes and Fears Spread (aka "Light and Shadow")

Barleywine

As I know many of you have, I struggled for a long time with the "hopes and fears" conundrum of the Celtic Cross spread. It just seems messy, even though I've resolved it to my own satisfaction. But I thought "Why not create a spread specifically to look at the optimism/pessimism angle of a situation?" Here it is, with notes for its use.

Attachments

• Light & Shadow Spread.pdf
    27.3 KB · Views: 404

AraLuck

As I know many of you have, I struggled for a long time with the "hopes and fears" conundrum of the Celtic Cross spread. It just seems messy, even though I've resolved it to my own satisfaction. But I thought "Why not create a spread specifically to look at the optimism/pessimism angle of a situation?" Here it is, with notes for its use.

That's a nice one!! So the middle card is the significator? I will try it in a few days and post my results. Thanks :)

Barleywine

That's a nice one!! So the middle card is the significator? I will try it in a few days and post my results. Thanks :)

I decided not to officially call it the significator because I like Rodney's idea of having the significator "delivered" by the deck into one of the positions. But rather than make that random (not "if" it shows up, but "where"), I settled on a separate deal that continues until it appears. I debated whether the significator should be left out of the deck because it might cause confusion if it shows up again as part of the reading spread, but for now I think in that case it could be read as a quality or energy within the situation rather than a person.

The middle position (if you decide to put a card there) could also represent the significator if you don't want to do the extra step, but I think I'll use it more as the "situation" similar to the first card of the Celtic Cross.