Dream of a crow

Metra

I had this dream a few months ago, but it really touched me in a strange way. I was downstairs in my basement living room looking out the window in the daytime. The window was open... I can't remember the season, but I want to say summer/spring since I wasn't cold and I'm pretty sure the trees and grass were green outside. While looking out the window I saw a crow in the grass. I thought to myself, "how strange would it be if that crow flew in the house and landed on me." After a short moment the crow flew into the house and I believe landed on my shoulder initially and then slowly moved down to my hand. As I held it in my hand it stretched its wings and just moved around. I remember feeling very calm and relaxed. I felt strange when I woke up and it's stuck with me since.

I feel as though there was something significant about this dream and I'd love to know what this all signifies!

celticnoodle

Crows often get a bad rap in dreams. People associate death and warnings of evil with the crow, because I think of its black color. However, I happen to see the crow differently. It is one of my power animals.

I think the crow is a symbol of mystery and magic and can be symbolic of your extra sensory abilities such as clairvoyancy, clairaudincey, and others. Have you noticed any of these abilities developing in you or do you already have these abilities? Perhaps the crow flew in through the window to bring you the news of you developing some of these abilities? Or is it a message for you to begin using these abilities more if you already know you possess them?

I find it interesting that the bird landed on your shoulder and then went to your hand and both crow and you were quite comfortable and not upset. Perhaps it was even a sign that the crow has come to you as a power animal as well--to help lead you with your psychic abilities.

Just a few thoughts of what I think it could be. But, I think only you can really decide what this dream means for you.

Barleywine

Cirlot's A Dictionary of Symbols has some interesting observations:

"Because of its black colour, the crow is associated with the idea of beginning (as expressed in such symbols as the maternal night, primigenial darkness, the fertilizing earth). Because it is also associated with the atmosphere, it is a symbol for creative, demiurgic power and for spiritual strength. Because of its flight, it is considered a messenger. And, in sum, the crow has been invested by many primitive peoples with far-reaching cosmic significance. Indeed, for the Red Indians (sic) of North America it is the great civilizer and the creator of the visible world. It has a similar meaning for the Celts and the Germanic tribes, as well as in Siberia. In the classical cultures it no longer possesses such wide implications, but it still does retain certain mystic powers and in particular the ability to foresee the future; hence its caw played a special part in rites of divination."

More prosaically (my own words now), the crow (or at least the raven) is intelligent and long-lived, so it carries the connotation of a "wise elder." (I seem to recall some Native American tales about "Grandfather Crow.") Have you considered whether it could be revealing a contact from an ancestor that you might want to explore further, since it could be something you really need to know?

Barleywine

Tarot of the Hidden Realm's, Emperor, came to mind when I read your post, Barleywine. There's a crow perched upon his throne. He indeed comes off as a 'wise elder' and I do wonder what he's revealing as the Emperor silently digests the information.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/72/2b/8b722b8ee04c99eadd893f3c4b87e2f8.jpg

Scouting report? Or maybe it's just de-lousing him? :) I believe there is an entire deck based on crows but I forget the name. Wait, here's one that seems to embrace dream imagery. There also seem to be a couple of others.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dream-raven/

Tigerangel

I had this dream a few months ago, but it really touched me in a strange way. I was downstairs in my basement living room looking out the window in the daytime. The window was open... I can't remember the season, but I want to say summer/spring since I wasn't cold and I'm pretty sure the trees and grass were green outside. While looking out the window I saw a crow in the grass. I thought to myself, "how strange would it be if that crow flew in the house and landed on me." After a short moment the crow flew into the house and I believe landed on my shoulder initially and then slowly moved down to my hand. As I held it in my hand it stretched its wings and just moved around. I remember feeling very calm and relaxed. I felt strange when I woke up and it's stuck with me since.

I feel as though there was something significant about this dream and I'd love to know what this all signifies!

Like CN one of my power animals is also Crow, they have given me alot of nice feathers in the last week, I think I have enough now to make my feather smudge fan.

It sounds like it may be an animal messenger for you, if you don't actually feel a connection to crows or ravens, I tend to have a few different animals show up in different ways when I need to pay attention to something.

The things that sound prevalent in your dream are the season, the colour green, and feeling calm and relaxed and your hands.
If you look at the dream meaning for crow here http://www.spirit-animals.com/crow/ it says that it can be a sign of things improving and looking up for you when crow enters your dreams, and along with the colours green, a very healing and regenerating colour and the calm feeling it sounds like your are watched over, and maybe spirit would like you to create or work in someway with you hands that will have a calming effect on you or maybe even others.

celticnoodle

Tarot of the Hidden Realm's, Emperor, came to mind when I read your post, Barleywine. There's a crow perched upon his throne. He indeed comes off as a 'wise elder' and I do wonder what he's revealing as the Emperor silently digests the information.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/72/2b/8b722b8ee04c99eadd893f3c4b87e2f8.jpg
oh! I LOVE that card!!!

Scouting report? Or maybe it's just de-lousing him? :) I believe there is an entire deck based on crows but I forget the name. Wait, here's one that seems to embrace dream imagery. There also seem to be a couple of others.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/dream-raven/
very pretty deck here too. love the colors.

Glad so many others offered various ideas here too. I enjoyed reading all of the posts.

Metra

@celticnoodle: well the past few months i've been getting more and more into my spiritual side so in a way that makes sense that it was presenting itself to me as my power animal when i started to take my journey seriously. Although for now I might just go with it coming as a messenger. also i went to an akashic records reader who mentioned that i had smudged over my third eye awhile ago but that she saw me opening it in the future and that i had strong abilities and even further back a woman suggested to me to get into doing reiki because I gave off a healing energy. idk if this all correlates but it seems to!

@Barleywine: possible, but looking back i feel like where the dream gave me such a weird feeling it was more mystical in a way.

@tigerangel: things have been looking up for me and what you said about working with my hands reminds me of what i said about reiki in my reply to celticnoodle.

Thank you to everyone! I think overall what I'm taking from this dream is that i am opening up that other side of me and perhaps i can look for guidance in crows. They're often in my yard so I'm going to pay more attention and see what happens.

celticnoodle

Metra, I just found a lovely site that speaks of crow. It may interest you to look at it. If you have your volume up--it also has the crow cawing--but to me he sounds more like a bullfrog then a crow! :laugh:

http://www.birdclan.org/crow.html

It is also interesting to note on this site, it mentions that crow is a guardian of healing and is always present in ANY healing circle! Makes sense in your case, I think!

Metra

thanks for the link, it's really insightful. especially the part about "willing to walk your talk and speak your truth." I've read I need to master that in this life so many times. just crazy how much it correlates.