Ground-Rules for Professional Reading

Barleywine

I no longer see the "professional reader" sub-forum, so I guess this goes here?

I'm contemplating reading for the clients of a local shop owner on a small scale (back-up reader). I haven't explored with her yet what kind of general "ground-rules" she already has in place for client interaction, but I assume it's the usual "waiver of responsibility" and other legal stuff.

I want to establish my own personal expectations for the conduct of readings that the sitter will be given before we start. Some of it is disclaimer of responsibility wording, but the rest is more logistics and conduct-based guidance that sets some limits on the scope of the reading. This seems prudent when reading "on the clock" so time isn't wasted getting oriented.

I've attached my first draft. Aside from my purely personal preferences, I'm interested in whether those of you who read face-to-face in a professional setting think I've missed anything critical. Thanks!

ETA: I reposted the draft with gregory's and Zephyros' comments incorporated.

Attachments

• Reading Ground-Rules.pdf
    12.1 KB · Views: 308

gregory

I don't know if my non-professional view counts :D (no prob !!!) but I would specifically rule out reading to give health, legal or financial advice.

Dangerous unless you are an expert in the field, and also just asking to get sued later....

Other than that - I like the tone. Not talking down but not airy-fairy incomprehensible either :)

DDwarks

Apart from having "entertainment only" as a first point...

I think finding out if they've had a reading before. If No, give them a quick explanation of what Death and Devil actually means. Reassure them that it's not the Green Reaper on it's way to them or that they're about to be savagely attacked by a member of some secret psychopathic organisation.
If they have had a reading before, just remind them anyway!

Barleywine

I don't know if my non-professional view counts :D (no prob !!!) but I would specifically rule out reading to give health, legal or financial advice.

Dangerous unless you are an expert in the field, and also just asking to get sued later....

Other than that - I like the tone. Not talking down but not airy-fairy incomprehensible either :)

Excellent! Health, financial and legal questions are a mine-field. The general "no advice" statement would probably cover it, but it's best to be specific. Thank you.

Barleywine

Apart from having "entertainment only" as a first point...

I think finding out if they've had a reading before. If No, give them a quick explanation of what Death and Devil actually means. Reassure them that it's not the Green Reaper on it's way to them or that they're about to be savagely attacked by a member of some secret psychopathic organisation.
If they have had a reading before, just remind them anyway!

Prior experience with tarot is another one I had on my list but forgot to put in. Not quite sure how to state it in what is basically an "instruction sheet," but it's important to know when reading time is limited. I think I will reserve basic overview stuff for situations where a "problem" card actually comes up.

Zephyros

I think it's a bit long, and might turn people away. I know it would turn me away if I had to read a EULA that long just for a reading. Articles 1,2,3,5,7,8 could be summed up verbally before and during the course of the reading as they are things that would come up anyway.

Barleywine

I think it's a bit long, and might turn people away. I know it would turn me away if I had to read a EULA that long just for a reading. Articles 1,2,3,5,7,8 could be summed up verbally before and during the course of the reading as they are things that would come up anyway.

My intent is to keep it to one page, and as you note, it's primarily a memory-jogger for me so I don't miss any key points. It's also intended to inform the shop owner of my personal stance. If it's offered in hard-copy to the client at all, it would ideally be before the "clock" starts. Since I believe these will be pre-existing clients, they are probably "repeats" and can take the sheet home with them for future reference. I imagine the shop owner has some kind of "waiver" protocol in place for the risky stuff.

ETA: Actually, it was point #6 that was the most convoluted and cumbersome. I'll repost a streamlined version.

gregory

Looking good ! I think the scary card thing is easily dealt with on the day, as the shuffling is done... just a sort of "remember, the cards aren't as literal as some people think; no one card spells the end of the word as we know it" sort of thing.

Barleywine

Looking good ! I think the scary card thing is easily dealt with on the day, as the shuffling is done... just a sort of "remember, the cards aren't as literal as some people think; no one card spells the end of the word as we know it" sort of thing.

Very good point. If it isn't touched on at least in passing, Death, the Devil and the Tower will inevitably be the first three cards pulled :). Maybe the first thing to ask is whether this is their first-ever reading, and go from there.

Ruby Jewel

I agree here. I read for people, and I don't bother with any of that. Nor do I bother with a question as most people don't really have a question, and aren't prepared with one. Of course if they have one that is fine. I just say, "Let's see what your spiritual guide wants to tell you." I have them invite their spiritual guide in to join us while I'm shuffling the cards...and I do the same invite. Then I cut the cards and have them put the deck back together. I think the simpler you make the whole scene the more comfortable they are with it. Nor do I think you need to worry about anyone suing you. I think it is kind of like the rabbit who is so afraid that his fear draws the enemy to him.....I say, just relax, have fun, show compassion, and be friendly. You don't need a bunch of rules. They are a turnoff. If you have ever walked in a store with signs everywhere, you know what I'm saying. You just turn around and walk out. The important thing is to have fun....and to come up with a good spread....and don't overcharge. Oh yes....and put out a tip jar that says "thank you."

Just my opinion for whatever it's worth. You will have a lot of fun if you keep it simple. The important thing is that they leave happy.....that is your advertisement and it is worth a lot.....nay, everything.