What is your power / totem animal?

Padma

Thanks Padma! I will try to think about it/reflect on it.

You may dream about the animal often - or, as CN pointed out, a shaman or other spirit reader can help you find it. And sometimes, it's just a natural affinity towards that animal. Good luck! :love:

Dee Ell

Yeah - that is pretty much how it is, as far as I have experienced it! You see the animal *a lot* and frequently in unusual places or times. Or during really important happenings. That's a pretty good indication right there...

ETA I don't use mine in divination practice. Not yet, anyways. But growth is always occurring!

But if it's a very unusual animal like a platypus or black jaguar (or a mythological one like a phoenix) that you wouldn't see except in paintings or photos them how does that work?

For instance, I used to own the Animal Medicine Cards by Jamie Sams & David Carson and did the meditations in there regarding power animals. But because it's restricted to North American animals you'd never encounter any of the ones I mentioned. And so although I did it I never really felt truly connected to the answer I got... (I don't even remember what it was now - I probably have the spread written down somewhere).

So how would that work to find it if it's not something living in your environment/decks you're exposed to?

Jen P

You may dream about the animal often - or, as CN pointed out, a shaman or other spirit reader can help you find it. And sometimes, it's just a natural affinity towards that animal. Good luck! :love:

I can say that I've always had a natural affinity with horses. My first word was "horse". I rode them growing up and always wanted one, but it never happened. For years I collected all sorts of horse-related things. I guess that's one of mine. That's all I can think of for now.

Interesting thread. ;-)

Barleywine

My self-chosen - and purely symboloic - totem animal is the Otter. I first encountered it one day while trout fishing on a local river. An otter came out of the water about 15 feet away, looked me slowly (and it seemed, wisely) up and down, then casually disappeared under the bank. Beyond searching for Native American "spirit names" associated with Otter (which I can't remember at the moment) I haven't done any work with the idea yet.

http://totemwisdom.com/ottertotem.html

Padma

But if it's a very unusual animal like a platypus or black jaguar (or a mythological one like a phoenix) that you wouldn't see except in paintings or photos them how does that work?

For instance, I used to own the Animal Medicine Cards by Jamie Sams & David Carson and did the meditations in there regarding power animals. But because it's restricted to North American animals you'd never encounter any of the ones I mentioned. And so although I did it I never really felt truly connected to the answer I got... (I don't even remember what it was now - I probably have the spread written down somewhere).

So how would that work to find it if it's not something living in your environment/decks you're exposed to?

I would say: Pictures, art, photos, references to the animal or mythical being in question in books you read, movies you see, things friends say, conversations you over-hear - the Universe has many ways to bring us messages...in any case, things you hear more than once in a fairly short period of time (a few weeks, maybe?)

Dreams are a good source.

Shamans and readers are a good source.

Feeling really connected to the energy of the animal - If for instance your Black Jaguar and Phoenix FEEL like you, as you said, then probably you have already connected to your animals.

And of course the last answer HAS to be this: Ask yourself while you read cards, or ask your guides while you meditate :) the best answers come from our own gut! :love:

Padma

I can say that I've always had a natural affinity with horses. My first word was "horse". I rode them growing up and always wanted one, but it never happened. For years I collected all sorts of horse-related things. I guess that's one of mine. That's all I can think of for now.

Interesting thread. ;-)

Well, that sounds like a pretty good indication, to me :) Horses are very powerful animals. They are often the "chosen ones" to bring messages from the heavens to humans in mythology.

My self-chosen - and purely symboloic - totem animal is the Otter. I first encountered it one day while trout fishing on a local river. An otter came out of the water about 15 feet away, looked me slowly (and it seemed, wisely) up and down, then casually disappeared under the bank. Beyond searching for Native American "spirit names" associated with Otter (which I can't remember at the moment) I haven't done any work with the idea yet.

http://totemwisdom.com/ottertotem.html

I have similar with rabbits - only it happens ALL the time...the frequency was crazy, at one point! :p

And there I was always thinking of myself as some mysterious panther, or an elusive wolf. Nup! Turns out I'm just a bunny :joke:

BTW Barleywine - that must have been a really interesting experience! I can picture it!

All - sorry to be rabbiting on - so to speak, and pardon the pun - but it is a fave subject of mine ;) I shall stand back now, and let others speak!

celticnoodle

Padma answered this very well and I will share a story about my black panther/jaguar power animal.

After the shaman helped me to locate my power animal (the panther), who literally came out of the woods running right for me but with green eyes shining not yellow like most see, he scooped me up and threw me on his back and took off again for the forest where he came out of.

I can still feel the 'ride' I had to hold onto him tightly, and I could feel his muscles as he was running and his strength. It was one of my most powerful experiences ever spiritually!

But, then later--I began to doubt it. Was I being foolish and just believed in a dream I had? I was asking myself, "is this for real or am I being stupid? finding a "power animal" in a meditation! Was there truly such a thing?"

And, one day, hubby & I were traveling on a very long road trip--and I was thinking of this experience and telling myself that it was indeed a dream and meant absolutely nothing. So I asked the Universe to sned me a symbol if it were true and to be trusted that the black panther was indeed MY power animal. Just then---a big rig came up right beside us, passing us, and on the side of its truck was painted a very large black panther, running with green eyes. :bugeyed:

Okay. Okay. I believe! I believe! I told the Universe and myself. :laugh:

Every time I do go through a period where I am not believing again--the black panther shows up somewhere for me. Once when I was shopping in a store! It was on a package or a can, I now can't recall which. I have been in that small store MANY times prior to this particular visit and many-many times AFTER. Afterwards, always seeking out that item and have never seen it since (nor do I recall ever seeing it before that one time). So, as Padma says, it seems to just show up for you in odd places/times.

I have these cards as well. Mine I believe came with some blank cards as well, that you can assign an animal too. I prefer to leave them blank--and use them blank to "find" the power animal. If they show up in the reading, then I know its an animal NOT covered in the rest of the deck. At least it helps by ruling those out and then I can go in search of what the power animal could be/is.

Interesting thread. ;-)
This is another good way of finding your power animal. It almost always is an animal that you have a natural love and connection to. So, I am willing to bet that the horse is your power animal then. I would recommend reading up on horse as a power animal and then meditating to see if you can find out for sure.

I would say: Pictures, art, photos, references to the animal or mythical being in question in books you read, movies you see, things friends say, conversations you over-hear - the Universe has many ways to bring us messages...in any case, things you hear more than once in a fairly short period of time (a few weeks, maybe?)

Dreams are a good source.

Shamans and readers are a good source.

Feeling really connected to the energy of the animal - If for instance your Black Jaguar and Phoenix FEEL like you, as you said, then probably you have already connected to your animals.

And of course the last answer HAS to be this: Ask yourself while you read cards, or ask your guides while you meditate :) the best answers come from our own gut! :love:
all very good answers here!

I have similar with rabbits - only it happens ALL the time...the frequency was crazy, at one point! :p

And there I was always thinking of myself as some mysterious panther, or an elusive wolf. Nup! Turns out I'm just a bunny :joke:

ah, well! All animals have their great gifts to share with us, and the rabbit is a very wonderful power animal. I remember someone sharing with me that they didn't care very much for their power animal, which I now forget what it was--but it was something like a skunk. :laugh: But, it is also a very powerful power animal--like they all are. Back to the rabbit though- it is a great power animal, indicating that you have great reflexes (great jumpers!) and succeed at pretty much everything they undertake. A well grounded animal- generally is with people who are very grounded too. This is why you (and rabbit people are) great advisors. A very lucky person you must be--as those with the rabbit are generally very fortunate people. :D A good friend of mine has the rabbit as a power animal. She also pointed out to us (a group of friends) that she even LOOKS like a rabbit! :laugh: and you know, after she said that, we realized, she was right! :D

ah, and, Barleywine! the otter! a playful creature and also a healer! One that is both connected to water and earth. It often comes to those who are very grounded, (and you seem like you are) and a power animal linked to psychic abilities.

I love reading about and studying about animals--all animals (even those that are not my power animals), and if you wish to find out about your power animal---google it and you'll find MANY wonderful sites to devour!

Apollonia

I must be unusual because in my training I was taught never to talk about my power animals to anyone other than my teachers.

celticnoodle

I must be unusual because in my training I was taught never to talk about my power animals to anyone other than my teachers.

I have heard this before, but not from any of my shamanic teachers and I've never read it that I can recall in any books--many written by shamans. I know you are a shaman, Apollonia, and I have a lot of respect for you--as I've always seen you as a very wise person. But, I disagree with the "not talking about your power animals". But, perhaps this is because I am not a shaman and am ignorant of these things.

I feel it is good to share all that we are learning and have learned- with each other. How else can one learn about these things?

yannie

I find that with these things, when it comes to you, you will just know, with a certainty...& instead of asking how to find, you will be asking questions like, "Did this come from my spirit guide? I have one? OMG!" 😄

The term "power animal" is a Native American concept, & that culture has rules surrounding who can claim to have it (or so I read). If you're not Native American...& especially talking about non-native American creatures like platypuses & phoenixes... You would be talking about spirit animal guides.

I'm not Native American but I do come from a region with known shamanic-animist practices. The knowledge is there for those who seek it, but we do not speak openly about our animal guides (which include phoenixes and other mythical creatures. & yes, some stay for life - that's our version of the "power animal"). "Oh, it's just a belief of mine," is a common response to those who don't know & are just surface-curious. If people want to go deeper they will do the necessary digging, go through the necessary trials, if they are meant to.

How do I connect with mine? Many ways, that have nothing to do with the type of animal they are - tarot, birds, clouds, telepathy, them mucking with electronics... A lot like how many receive messages from divinity in general, not just animals.

If you find yourself drawn to certain creatures not native to your immediate environment... Perhaps the message is in the qualities they represent, more so than whether they're a spirit guide.