What is your power / totem animal?

Morwenna

I can only imagine your experience of riding on a butterfly! So magical, that! :)

And coming in for a landing on a Queen-Anne's-Lace blossom! :) That was amazing!

celticnoodle

And coming in for a landing on a Queen-Anne's-Lace blossom! :) That was amazing!

WOW! :D

Oh, how I miss having these kind of experiences. Its been a long time and I know its because I've not meditated properly for this type of an experience. I so need to get back into this! :D

frac_ture

I believe I have one of Michael Harner books, Frac_ture. "The Way of the Shaman". And, wow! What an experience you've had going to Peru in the Jungle and being wiht an actual shaman and his apprentices! What a magnificient experience that must have been! I'd LOVE to read more posts of your adventures and anything you can share on this subject!

Hi, Celticnoodle. Did you like that Harner book? I've never really read his work, so I'm curious what you might have thought of it?

And thanks for the enthusiasm around my Peru experience! It was truly amazing to go and work with an actual shaman in the environment where his knowledge-base evolved and has been thriving for centuries. I grew up in North America, so I'm used to forests and plains, some deserts, some mountains, some oceans...but the jungle is its own distinct entity. You kind of need to experience it to really get the full impact of it.

And of course, working with the shaman and his apprentices was phenomenal. I'm leery of people in the US who bill themselves as shamans, and that's more true than ever after I met some of the people who can actually make that claim. The people I met in Peru put in serious time studying for years in the rain forest, learning all about plants and plant medicine, animals, nature, shamanic practices... I feel that our more modern/urban environments would benefit greatly if authentic shamanism could somehow be infused into them in a legitimate, ongoing way. I've thought about writing at length about my experiences there, but have yet to set aside the necessary time to get it done!

celticnoodle

Hi, Celticnoodle. Did you like that Harner book? I've never really read his work, so I'm curious what you might have thought of it?

You know, its been a long time since I have read his book, tbh. I can't quite recall. I have a horrible memory anyway, so not too surprising! :laugh:

And thanks for the enthusiasm around my Peru experience! It was truly amazing to go and work with an actual shaman in the environment where his knowledge-base evolved and has been thriving for centuries. I grew up in North America, so I'm used to forests and plains, some deserts, some mountains, some oceans...but the jungle is its own distinct entity. You kind of need to experience it to really get the full impact of it.

yes, I grew up and live in North America too--currently living in Western NY. But, I'm not sure I could take the heat of Peru now. :D When I was younger, maybe. But now, even if it is in the 80s---I'm not very comfortable! However, I have a friend who went to Peru a few times, once to adopt a child, and I loved listening to her stories of the area. She had quite the adventure stories there! Another (now deceased friend) of mine did as well. Scary too though.

And of course, working with the shaman and his apprentices was phenomenal. I'm leery of people in the US who bill themselves as shamans, and that's more true than ever after I met some of the people who can actually make that claim. The people I met in Peru put in serious time studying for years in the rain forest, learning all about plants and plant medicine, animals, nature, shamanic practices... I feel that our more modern/urban environments would benefit greatly if authentic shamanism could somehow be infused into them in a legitimate, ongoing way. I've thought about writing at length about my experiences there, but have yet to set aside the necessary time to get it done!

I agree with you and I am also somewhat leery of them. I met a shaman once and worked with her for awhile--she was educated via the web and phone by another "western shaman". I have to say, I did have some good experiences with her, and it was through her I came to meet my one power animal. That said--things turned ugly and I have since learned A LOT about being a bit more cautious with those who call themselves a shaman.

I met another woman recently who was also calling herself a shaman, and became one through the net, books and another one of her friends who did a study with yet another Western internet shaman. :laugh: (follow that?) so like the 3rd or 4th "generational internet shaman" as I like to say. :D Anyway, i recall talking to this woman and we got on the subject of astral traveling and she had NO CLUE what I was even talking about! :bugeyed: And, here she is, selling herself on the web, in the paper and online as being a "shaman" and offering her services to help people. :eek: I found that very dangerous, tbh.

I've read MANY the book on shamanism. I've taken a few courses. But, I wouldn't ever call myself a shaman--because I am not. I've had many experiences similar to what shamans also do--but that in itself does not make one a shaman!

I did take classes from a woman in NY here, who did study under Alberto Villoldo personally for years. I think she did so in Peru as well? I could be wrong as to where she studied, but she was pretty good and knowledgeable--or so it seems to me. She & her husband are friends w/Alberto and his wife, too. I do like his books! LOVE them.

I would love it if you could share some of your shaman education in Peru with REAL PERUVIAN SHAMANS with us. You should start a thread! Perhaps other shamans here would join in too. It would be FASCINATING! :thumbsup:

Morwenna

WOW! :D

Oh, how I miss having these kind of experiences. Its been a long time and I know its because I've not meditated properly for this type of an experience. I so need to get back into this! :D

So do I. *sigh*

Milfoil

There is a difference between Totem animals and Power animals (and gatekeepers). Which are you seeking to connect with?

Without knowing the difference, how will anyone know what is going on, or what to expect.

Sometimes your ancestors or surnames in your ancestral tree will hold a clue as to a clan/totem animal.

Personal animal teachers (what recently has become known as 'Power' animals) may be with us for life or just for a brief time to teach or assist us with something.

Books will only take you so far and can be distracting from the actual work of learning what any animal really means, which involves observation into life, environment, habits, colouring, changes from infant to adult, mating, feeding, seasonal changes, are they active at night, day, liminal times? So much more than merely looking up someone else's meaning in a book or on the internet.

Don't seek out the great and obvious, likewise don't dismiss the tiny or insignificant. There is a wonderful tale about the tiny Wren who outsmarts the great Eagle . . . :)