When you were ready to go pro online...

geoxena

Hi all,
I'd like to hear from those of you who have your own websites for doing tarot readings independently.

I'd love to hear how you got to the point when you knew you were ready to run your own tarot reading business. It seems like a big step to me, but for some it may have just felt like a natural next step.

If you wouldn't mind sharing how you developed the types of readings you offer, how you price them and market yourself, decisions you made about webhosts and processing payments, I'd love to read about your experiences.

Also, do you reveal your identity online or use an alias or persona to do your readings?

Thanks in advance for your input!

AnemoneRosie

I want to come back to this when I'm not in my phone...

RowanTarot

I don't have much to add, but I do want to read answers to this. I'm thinking about adding readings to my Etsy shop. :)

AnemoneRosie

I'd love to hear how you got to the point when you knew you were ready to run your own tarot reading business. It seems like a big step to me, but for some it may have just felt like a natural next step.

I went from working for a site to working on my own. It seemed natural to me - however - I don't have the inclination to maintain it and it appears that I'm in a point in my life where I'd rather work for others than be independent. I'm focusing more on reading irl, and I read for a site again. Right now I'm okay with that.
If it seems like a big step, that's because it is! It's possible to break it down and to start small. It's also sometimes a sign that, if it seems too daunting, that's because it is. When I started I brought some clients over from the site that I'd been working for so it seemed more manageable.

If you wouldn't mind sharing how you developed the types of readings you offer, how you price them and market yourself, decisions you made about webhosts and processing payments, I'd love to read about your experiences.

I price per card and then find a round number for spreads that takes into account my more-or-less price per card. It also has an economy of scale, so the per-card cost of a three-card spread is a little bit higher than the per-card cost of a celtic cross. I'm always changing the types of readings that I offer, with romance spreads being more available in February, career spreads being more available in January, coping with family being more prominent in the fall, new years' spreads mid-December to January, etc.

Also, do you reveal your identity online or use an alias or persona to do your readings?

My real name is only available on one place online - doing an interview with local press around the need for safety following a tragic incident involving a cyclist and a truck. However, using an alias (related to the one that I use here) is an art in and of itself and some people can't handle it. Personally I feel more comfortable, but it does present certain challenges.