Detecting Untrustworthy People

decan

There is one Criminal Profiler that believes "Feet" are the biggest reveal on a person. :bugeyed:

Body Language: Off the top of my head....

If a person keeps touching his ear (unless itchy) - doesn't believe what is being said.

Touching nose - lying about something.

MALE: Touching belt and turned towards a female - interested.
FEMALE: Touching hair and off and on looks at a guy - interested.

Vague in verbal details - lying.

DECEPTION is the only TRAIT in HUMAN BEHAVIOR that can never be read or picked up on.

DND :)
Ha, ha, are Criminal Profiler trustworthy people? :D

G6

The only foolproof method I know - other than becoming a hermit - is the "litmus test." Give every new acquaintance one chance to prove their honesty, being careful of how much you risk on the first occasion. (No room for "three strikes and you're out" here, life is too short to keep accommodating disappointment.) If they pass, give them a little more rope until you reach the outer limit of your own"comfort zone" or they hang themselves. There's nothing wrong with "arm's length" friendships.

This "litmus test" is a good idea. What little tests have you used and what did you find out?

Awesome quote BW, "Life is too short to keep accommodating disappointment."

Right, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...

Yeah, I suppose "arms length" friendships. I call these acquaintances where I'm cordial in social situations when I see them, but I make no effort to see them outside of chance run-ins.

Barleywine

Someone who has the habit of talking behind their hand - unless, of course, they're just ashamed of their teeth.

Someone who's reputation precedes them. Don't be shy about asking around.

G6

There is one Criminal Profiler that believes "Feet" are the biggest reveal on a person. :bugeyed:

If a person keeps touching his ear (unless itchy) - doesn't believe what is being said.

DECEPTION is the only TRAIT in HUMAN BEHAVIOR that can never be read or picked up on.

Vague in verbal details is a good one. Might not be lying, but definitely does not want to disclose an answer to you.

Explain how this is true aren't we talking about ways you can pick up on deception?

DownUnderNZer

But remember it is observing everything not just one thing and you do have to catch it at the time because you wont get another chance.

A liar might rub his nose, divert his look elsewhere, and say after deliberating it over in his mind something like: "I did not take the money!".

Liars generally stress each word and use words together like "I" "did" "not".

A person that is innocent would likely use words like: "I didn't".

And also when someone is GUILTY they will say things like: "I did not do it!" I am not guilty!". "I was not even in the xxxx when it went missing!" and get on the defensive. Very angry and hostile. On the defensive is what you need to take into consideration.

What a blinkin walk down memory lane. WOW!

G6

Someone who has the habit of talking behind their hand - unless, of course, they're just ashamed of their teeth.

Someone who's reputation precedes them. Don't be shy about asking around.

This is true if you never hear anything good about someone believe it! Also, if they have a known past of shady dealings/behavior. Money problems, lawsuits, fights, etc., No friends!

Ive never seen someone physically talk behind their hand, interesting. Looking away I have seen or pretending they didn't hear what you said/changing topics.

DownUnderNZer

Telling you now - Deception cannot be picked up at all and this comes from those that are Criminal Profilers.

Serial killers are a great example or even the best con artists that scam you out of millions.

G6

But remember it is observing everything not just one thing and you do have to catch it at the time because you wont get another chance.

A liar might rub his nose, divert his look elsewhere, and say after deliberating it over in his mind something like: "I did not take the money!".

Liars generally stress each word and use words together like "I" "did" "not".

A person that is innocent would likely use words like: "I didn't".

And also when someone is GUILTY they will say things like: "I did not do it!" I am not guilty!". "I was not even in the xxxx when it went missing!" and get on the defensive. Very angry and hostile. On the defensive is what you need to take into consideration.

What a blinkin walk down memory lane. WOW!

DND, so funny! Right, like OJ Simpson, "100% Not Guilty!!!"

Yes, people get mad when they are caught in a lie or confronted with the truth about their character, so true.

I would also add people that cannot see their part in anything. Everything that happens to them is someone else's fault. Painting everyone else as the bad guy or girl.

G6

Telling you now - Deception cannot be picked up at all and this comes from those that are Criminal Profilers.

Serial killers are a great example or even the best con artists that scam you out of millions.

Is this because true deception by criminal minds vs. the average joe/jill is believed by the perpetrator? Like it wouldn't come up on a lie detector test because they believe their deception. Is that what you mean? Because if the average person is trying to deceive someone I think it would be half-assed enough where you could detect it if you are paying attention, right?

decan

All we are talking about is what a person says or not and his/her physical attitudes. All this can be changed by a con-artist.

But acts, what someone does, speaks as well, and better than words...