Reversals in Lenny

Cacia

Hello All:

I being wondering about the reversals in lenormand, by rule I know there are not such a thing as reversals but have had the case that I am pulling cards and they came out reversed, but turned it upside down to read them. Now, my question to all of you is:

if the card comes out reversed should be read reversed or just give it the regular meaning that has?

Thanks

cacia

greatdane

Just my own perspective...

which is all any of us can give, is I never read reversals in Lenormand. If a card happened to be reversed, which has never happened to me, I still would read as I would read it regularly.

For me, personally, the beauty is the simplicity and I don't know anyone who reads reversals in Lenormand, although that is NOT to say there are not readers who do.

BUT that is just me, I believe in whatever works best for the reader, I think they should do :).

Cacia

Miss Great dane

Thanks so much for sharing information, usually I do the same just read it as it should be never get too much out of the fact that appear reverse but nonetheless, always wonder if others do or not.

cacia

EmpyreanKnight

I do not know anyone who read reversals in Lenormand either. If you wish to avoid them, just make sure all cards in your deck are aligned, specially when you shuffle them. Some cleanse their decks by arranging their cards after a reading - if that becomes a habit, upside down cards will be avoided.

That said, if you do wish to pursue using reversals in your readings, Lo Scarabeo's Lenormand Oracle by Laura Tuan comes with a small book that provides reversed meanings for each card. You may take them as they are, modify them until they suit you better, or just formulate your own if you feel that the book reversals do not resonate with you or the tradition you're using.

Barleywine

If one happens to accidentally come up reversed in the deal, I just turn it upright and read it that way. I do use reversals in tarot reading but never in Lenormand.

danieljuk

I don't feel personally that the original intention of Lenormand was to read it with reversals and so I don't because there isn't enough out there for me to use regularly and I don't feel I need the reversals. Great resource idea EmpyreanKnight for reversals though :thumbsup: I know some tarot and oracle authors / artists do make their deck for reversals and some don't but I don't feel I need to with Lenormand.

But when a card comes up accidentally reversed, I do take note of it! I feel there is a reason for it to be reversed and I have seen it happen a few times for me and for readings for other people. I look if there is a special message there before discarding it's reversal. Is it blocked energy or the opposite? I have an example of this where I did a reading and the card on the bottom of the deck as the "theme" was the Ship and it was reversed and the whole reading was about a problem and disruption with the persons travels. It fitted so well as an "opposite ship" or blocked ship! I feel they have a purpose or message reversed and I need to take note of that but I don't deliberately set out to reverse the cards and there isn't always a message there with the reversal but I do take note of it.

Cacia

Empyreanknight
I do not know anyone who read reversals in Lenormand either. If you wish to avoid them, just make sure all cards in your deck are aligned, specially when you shuffle them. Some cleanse their decks by arranging their cards after a reading - if that becomes a habit, upside down cards will be avoided.

That said, if you do wish to pursue using reversals in your readings, Lo Scarabeo's Lenormand Oracle by Laura Tuan comes with a small book that provides reversed meanings for each card. You may take them as they are, modify them until they suit you better, or just formulate your own if you feel that the book reversals do not resonate with you or the tradition you're using.

Thanks so much, This was a merely curiosity because when the cards comes on that position I simply align them, but was wondering if any of you pay attention to that detail when the cards are pulled. Thanks for sharing information did not even know that was such a thing as reversal in oracle but will take a look at laura tuan work.

Barleywine
If one happens to accidentally come up reversed in the deal, I just turn it upright and read it that way. I do use reversals in tarot reading but never in Lenormand.
Yes, that's what I do turn it upright and proceed with the reading. Thanks

Danieljuk
I don't feel personally that the original intention of Lenormand was to read it with reversals and so I don't because there isn't enough out there for me to use regularly and I don't feel I need the reversals. Great resource idea EmpyreanKnight for reversals though I know some tarot and oracle authors / artists do make their deck for reversals and some don't but I don't feel I need to with Lenormand.

But when a card comes up accidentally reversed, I do take note of it! I feel there is a reason for it to be reversed and I have seen it happen a few times for me and for readings for other people. I look if there is a special message there before discarding it's reversal. Is it blocked energy or the opposite? I have an example of this where I did a reading and the card on the bottom of the deck as the "theme" was the Ship and it was reversed and the whole reading was about a problem and disruption with the persons travels. It fitted so well as an "opposite ship" or blocked ship! I feel they have a purpose or message reversed and I need to take note of that but I don't deliberately set out to reverse the cards and there isn't always a message there with the reversal but I do take note of it.
My dear daniel long time no see you but always a pleasure to talk to you when the opportunity is presented. Interesting to see that you pay attention to the cards when they come reverse and this is why the thread was originated because i have had times when i got the cards reversed and wonder if they want to say something else rather than the actual meaning or in this case the opposite.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience is always good to see the different views and get your own conclusions. Many blessings to all you and thanks again for sharing