Can anyone read this language?

Padma

Mods, I wasn't sure where to post this, so forgive if it is in the wrong subforum. I just wanted non-members to also be able to see it and respond. :)

Anyways, it is a form of divining, because I need help is puzzling out what is written on my bracelet! A friend of mine from India tells me that it does say "Aum Nama (or Namo)" but that the rest is in a different language that she cannot read.

It has a dragon inscribed on the inside of the bracelet, and the sides are intricately swirled silver spirals.

Any help in knowing who I am praying or chanting to, would be much appreciated! The bracelet was a gift.

Please see attached pic!

Attachments

• bracelet.jpg
    bracelet.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 182

Redfaery

Do you know the provenance of the bracelet? It looks Central Asian to me, and the script STRONGLY reminds me of Manchurian. But as I can't read anything other than the standard Roman alphabet and (on a good day) a bit of Japanese, that's the only help I can give.

Padma

Thanks, Redfaery! That is at least a step in the right direction! :thumbsup: I believe the bracelet came from Tibet, but I am not 100% sure of provenance, and the person who gave it to me bought it from a store in a Canadian town, who also was not sure what it said, and just called it an "aum bracelet".

It does have an Asian style dragon carved into the inside of the bracelet.

My Hindu friend, who can read the Sanskrit "Aum Nama" part, thought the rest was in Gujarati script.

kwaw

A friend of mine from India tells me that it does say "Aum Nama (or Namo)" but that the rest is in a different language that she cannot read.

It has a dragon inscribed on the inside of the bracelet, and the sides are intricately swirled silver spirals.

No expert, but it doesn't look like Gujarati to me, I think it is all in Sanskrit, or perhaps a Tibetan transliteration of Sanskrit: I would hazard a guess your friend has misread the Namo / Nami and it s Mani, i.e, it might say 'aum mani padme hum' in whatever script (just because it is fairly common mantra to be found on rings)....

edited to add:
ps: Padme is either the locative of 'Padma' - Lotus, i.e, Manipadme = Jewel in the Lotus, or the vocative of Padma, i.e. O, Manipadma - O, Jewel-Lotus!

Cool that it includes your name :)

kwaw

Looks like my 'aum mani padme hum' was a good guess! I did a search on 'aum mani padme hum' ring dragon and found this -- which looks pretty close to yours to me, excepting yours has a red stone instead of Turquoise:

https://www.dharmashop.com/collections/om/products/dragon-turquoise-sanskrit-om-mani-bracelet

Dragon Turquoise Sanskrit Om Mani Bracelet

The prayer for compassion Om Mani Padme Hum is inscribed in silver plated brass with two turquoise stones on either side. A dragon design is hand carved into the inside of the bracelet.

1/2 inch adjustable handmade in Kathmandu Nepal

attachment.php

Top Ring says Aum Mani Padme Hum in Sanskrit, ring made in Nepal, yours (rotated for orientation of script) to compare at the bottom.

Attachments

• AumRing.jpg
    AumRing.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 280

kwaw

Here is a picture of the dragon inside their coral bracelet version:

IMG_6751__48793_1024x1024.jpeg

Laura Borealis

I have a Tibetan ring that looks very similar, but the script is different. Mine looks like the bottom example here. (Picture also attached in case the link goes away.) That page identifies the top one as Tibetan and the bottom one as Sanskrit script.

In Tibetan the mantra is pronounced Om Mani Peme Hung.

:eek: ETA - I had it backwards... the top one is Tibetan and the bottom Sanskrit. I fixed it up there also.

Attachments

• mantra bracelets.jpg
    mantra bracelets.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 124

Padma

Aw, Kwaw! And Laura! I LOVES ya! Kwaw, that is exactly the same dragon as inside my bracelet! :thumbsup:

Yay! Mystery solved - and yes, Kwaw, it is awesome that my name is included in it! My dog is also named Padma :love:

How awesome. I knew I would find the answer here! :love: :heart: Shine on, you crazy diamonds!

Padma

PS my husband's similar bracelet (but different) reads "Jai Ganeshi Aum" :)

Padma

And PS another yay, because I use that (Padme) chant all the time!