If I give one of my kids (age 10) a crystal...

celticnoodle

Thank you for that! That's a fabulous idea. I really think he would love that! When he was really little I used to buy them picture books of higher quality. They were from our town's Unitarian Church's bookstore in fact. So many of them were about love and appreciation, equality, appreciating differences, vague spirituality (in a good way) and loving the Earth and mediation. One book was all about little tiny children meditating and it was so darned cute. He used to stare at those pages and then one day we all went to one of the local pumpkin farms in October where they have food, mazes, hay rides etc. He was about 4. I had a bunch of kids with me and they were all crawling through this one huge stack of multiple hay bales with tunnels underneath. After a while I couldn't find him and eventually I found him sitting on top of all the bales of hay under the bright, crisp blue sky in something of a lotus medication position with his hands in a mudra position (I had to look that word up right now - wasn't sure what you call it)! He was all zen up there it was kinda amazing! :) Thank you for not minding my verbosity. I hate it about myself but can't seem to stop it (and I type fast)!!

he sounds very much like our daughter. When she was little, (about 5 or 6, I think), we had a very large rock (boulder type of a rock) in our backyard. She use to sit there all the time, also very "zenned" out. My hubby & I would watch her sitting there and she would sit there for a very long time, which was amazing, as she also was ADHD. :laugh:

Anyway, one time we asked her why she was sitting there and what she was thinking about when she did sit there and she replied to us, "Its my "thoughtful" place." :D We always (my hub & I) remember that and it still to this day, nearly 30 yrs later, brings a smile to our faces.

Have you seen many of MY posts?! :laugh: Lets just say, in HS, I was voted most loquacious. So no worries there, Ayram. I think I still have you beat! ;) I'm also a very fast typist. When I was in HS taking typing, our school was only beginning to get electric typewriters and we only had about 4 or 5 in a class of 30 students. So, the teacher would assign us to various typewriters. My first round was with a typewriter that was around since the 1920s. (honest!). I hated that typewriter, however, as I moved along to the "newer" typewriters, and the last set of students at the new and wonderful ELECTRIC typewriters--was myself and a few others. It actually turned out great, because we all ended up as the fastest typists in the class--and if I recall properly--I was either #1 or #2. :laugh: It was great when I applied for jobs and had to take the typing test, because I always typed very fast w/o any errors.

What a lovely book!

linnie

Thank you, Ayram :) I've been reading this thread of yours and wondered what the book was... I love Thich Nhat Hanh's works and way... I hadn't realised he'd written children's books but I've now wish-listed this book and "A handful of Quiet" Thank you.

he sounds very much like our daughter. When she was little, (about 5 or 6, I think), we had a very large rock (boulder type of a rock) in our backyard. She use to sit there all the time, also very "zenned" out. My hubby & I would watch her sitting there and she would sit there for a very long time, which was amazing, as she also was ADHD. :laugh:

Anyway, one time we asked her why she was sitting there and what she was thinking about when she did sit there and she replied to us, "Its my "thoughtful" place." :D We always (my hub & I) remember that and it still to this day, nearly 30 yrs later, brings a smile to our faces.
What a lovely book!
It sounds very like me... my "thoughtful" place... I wish all my young ones, now grown, had realised how happy I was in my "thoughtful" place... They do now, but two decades ago they may more readily have adopted their own. :)

I have a young friend who is sort of like a granddaughter to me. Her Mum is my best friend, albeit almost 20 years my junior, and her family lives right across the country from us, so I'm it... :) Anyway, this very sweet little girl was away at camping with us, and she was getting overstimulated and overtired through so much going on around her and she was starting to take things very personally. When her Mum asked her why she was crying so much, as it wasn't her usual way of being, she said simply "It's because I have sad inside me, and it needs to come out".... :) Cute!!! and insightful for a wee one :)

linnie

If I give one of my kids a crystal when it's bedtime and tell them it will help them sleep or feel peaceful, they'll hold it in their hand - in bed - and fall right asleep every time. :) I love that. That is all...
That's really beautiful, and especially exciting to hear that so many young ones are having contact with crystals and stones.

I do similar with adults.. I tend to buy stones from a gem festival or favourite shops, and simply 'hold' them for someone... Days, weeks or even years later a particular stone will let me know it wants to live with someone else or has work to do... I git the stone to whoever its recipient is, and always let them know a few options re its relevant metaphysical properties etc... People fall in love with their stone :).

many blessings to you all :)

sweetcherise13

If I give one of my kids a crystal when it's bedtime and tell them it will help them sleep or feel peaceful, they'll hold it in their hand - in bed - and fall right asleep every time. :) I love that. That is all...
That's beautiful! :love:

I used to run school yoga retreats for thirteen/fourteen year olds.
We had amethyst and Quartz crystal as part of our sacred space and I explained that they are just like other special parts of the earth like waterfalls and beaches... Special ancient energies that calm us and soothe... They loved that - all 80 kids xx bless them all wherever they are now
What a perfect way to explain crystals to young ones! My grandchildren love my stones and crystals and, if you don't mind, I will share this with them too!

Our daughter was always a great sleeper, right from birth. She slept the whole night through when she was only 2 or 3 days old & continued to sleep well always. But, the oldest granddaughter, aged 8, is a night owl. I think more because of conditioning though. When she was born, they were so thrilled & they stayed up all night long themselves, that they also kept her up & one of them was always holding her in their arms. šŸ˜ She got use to that. Now, it's a bit of a hardship as she goes to school EARLY in the morning!
This may be somewhat off topic, but I'm curious by what you said about your granddaughter. Was she born late in the day by chance? I have noticed in myself as well as my children that the time of day we were born tends to correlate to whether we're up with the chickens or night owls. My youngest daughter was my only child born after noon (1:30am actually) and she is the only one that loves the night shift for work. :laugh:

oh how sweet! šŸ˜Š and, Ayram, I love the story of your son too. Perhaps your son, Ayram would be interested in more spiritual things that could also prove to be helpful to him. Such as meditation? He's at a good age to introduce him to this sort of thing. Also consider things like martial arts. Karate would be really good for him, as it teaches the students mindfulness.
I agree with CN. He may definitely be drawn to enjoy something on a spiritual level. Both of my sons adored Karate. :thumbsup:

I love this topic being brought up!