Can't find the thread but....what questions do you ask to begin a reading?

QueenKhepera

So I want to start practicing readings on others and I cannot for the life of me find information on what question you should ask in the beginning of a tarot session.

Is it something as simple as "how can i help you?"
"What would you like to know?"....

What do you guys initially say to get them to start their questions? Am I overthinking this? Lol

Tanga

- What are you expecting from this reading...?
- What brings you to my table...?
- What are you hoping to discover today...?
- What would you like some insight on...?

I read that aforementioned thread - also don't know where it is now. :)

QueenKhepera

- What are you expecting from this reading...?
- What brings you to my table...?
- What are you hoping to discover today...?
- What would you like some insight on...?

I read that aforementioned thread - also don't know where it is now. :)

Perfect! Thank you! Still learning to navigate around the forum so....I was lost.

Barleywine

Since I don't want to know the question in advance so I can avoid personal bias and just let the cards "speak their piece," I don't ask much. My session time is usually quite limited, so I don't want to hear their life story before we even get started.

I usually just inquire whether they've had readings before, so I can determine how much hand-holding they're likely to need. If they're completely inexperienced, I may show them a print-out of what I call the "mug shots" of the nominal bad actors - Death, the Devil, the Tower and the Hanged Man - so they aren't appalled if one of them comes up in the reading. Then I explain the three ways to approach their inquiry - a specific question, a broader focus area (love, work, family, etc.) or just a general "look-ahead" life-reading. I've just started asking querents to pick the Ace of the suit that most closely aligns with what's on their mind (using brief printed explanations), and I use it as an elemental significator that sets the "tone" of the reading.

QueenKhepera

Since I don't want to know the question in advance so I can avoid personal bias and just let the cards "speak their piece," I don't ask much. My session time is usually quite limited, so I don't want to hear their life story before we even get started.

I usually just inquire whether they've had readings before, so I can determine how much hand-holding they're likely to need. If they're completely inexperienced, I may show them a print-out of what I call the "mug shots" of the nominal bad actors - Death, the Devil, the Tower and the Hanged Man - so they aren't appalled if one of them comes up in the reading. Then I explain the three ways to approach their inquiry - a specific question, a broader focus area (love, work, family, etc.) or just a general "look-ahead" life-reading. I've just started asking querents to pick the Ace of the suit that most closely aligns with what's on their mind (using brief printed explanations), and I use it as an elemental significator that sets to "tone" of the reading.

I think I'm going to try this approach next. Picking the ace is a great idea! Thank you for this!

celticnoodle

Pretty much like Barleywine says. I don't leave it too wide open for them to spend all their time telling me all about themselves. When I read in the store, I had to limit the readings to 30 minutes, because there were usually a lot of customers wanting a reading.

Some of the most pertinent things to share with a customer would be ask them if they ever had a reading before. Then, I explain how I read. I do explain the death card, like Barley mentioned, but I also like how he mentioned the other 3 cards too--as they are generally the cards people most misunderstand and fear.

I also ask them to not pose a question to me, however, they can ask me to read on their love life, their home life, their career, etc. w/o going into detail. I much prefer to let the cards tell the story.

QueenKhepera

Pretty much like Barleywine says. I don't leave it too wide open for them to spend all their time telling me all about themselves. When I read in the store, I had to limit the readings to 30 minutes, because there were usually a lot of customers wanting a reading.

Some of the most pertinent things to share with a customer would be ask them if they ever had a reading before. Then, I explain how I read. I do explain the death card, like Barley mentioned, but I also like how he mentioned the other 3 cards too--as they are generally the cards people most misunderstand and fear.

I also ask them to not pose a question to me, however, they can ask me to read on their love life, their home life, their career, etc. w/o going into detail. I much prefer to let the cards tell the story.

I think this is the way I'm leaning more toward.

However.....I just have to share. I just did my first online reading and she said it was very accurate and Confirmed a lot that I said! I'm sooooo excited! She even gave me a shoutout! I love this!

SunChariot

So I want to start practicing readings on others and I cannot for the life of me find information on what question you should ask in the beginning of a tarot session.

Is it something as simple as "how can i help you?"
"What would you like to know?"....

What do you guys initially say to get them to start their questions? Am I overthinking this? Lol

I only read via e-mail, but I tend to ask something like: "Is there a specific question or topic that you want me to ask about for you?"

Then I keep asking progressive questions and narrowing down the question more and more until we have a concise question that is well formed.

Although often when I ask if they have a specific question in mind, they just go on and on. And tell me paragraphs of info.:grin:

Then I tend to form about 5 potential questions from all the info and ask them if any fit properly to what they want to know or if the want to make adjustments to them.

ONLY when they are sure the question is reflecting what they most want to know and that when I feel sure the question is formed in the way to get the best answer, only then I start the reading.

It's also fine with me if they have no question in mind. Then I just ask: "What does "X" most need to know right now?" (X of course being the querent)

It's a process for me. LOL

Babs

QueenKhepera

I only read via e-mail, but I tend to ask something like: "Is there a specific question or topic that you want me to ask about for you?"

Then I keep asking progressive questions and narrowing down the question more and more until we have a concise question that is well formed.

Although often when I ask if they have a specific question in mind, they just go on and on. And tell me paragraphs of info.:grin:

Then I tend to form about 5 potential questions from all the info and ask them if any fit properly to what they want to know or if the want to make adjustments to them.

ONLY when they are sure the question is reflecting what they most want to know and that when I feel sure the question is formed in the way to get the best answer, only then I start the reading.

It's also fine with me if they have no question in mind. Then I just ask: "What does "X" most need to know right now?" (X of course being the querent)

It's a process for me. LOL

Babs

I see! But I like that! So I'm learning all the different methods and what it teaches me is that intuition is extremely important. Because sometimes you might just get a feeling that someone might be tooooo much. Lol.

nisaba

Verbatim: "Is there a subject-area you'd like me to centre the reading around, or will a general do you?" And that is absolutely all I say.

The answer to this simply helps me decide on the spread. Most people say "a general", and I use this spread. Otherwise if they have a particular issue that they want to focus on, I have a stack of spreads I've developed over the years that I use for those subjects. I never, ever ask for a detailed question, just the area of their life. The spread and the reading gives me everything else I need.