Childhood repeating "Frustration" dreams

ncharge

So, lately I've been wondering about some dreams I used to have as a child (ages 4 through high school). I would have these dreams over and over again and I have never forgotten them. I am doing some shadow work and they feel important. I was wondering if you could give me your take on these dreams. I called them Frustration dreams, because they were, well, frustrating and anxiety producing. And they all had the same kind of similar feel to them.

1 and the most common. I am walking across an empty room or through an empty house. Suddenly, small holes appear in the floor filled with rainbow-colored liquid. The holes grow and grow and I am trying to make it safely through the next doorway without falling in. I know that would be a bad thing. But my path through the safe areas of the floor are rapidly dwindling until they are just the width of my foot and still dwindling. That's when I wake up.

2, also common before age 12, I am standing in a room full of people near a corner. Suddenly, everybody stops moving for a moment, then rushes towards me, crushing me into the corner. And they keep pushing and pushing and we are getting smaller and smaller and I can't move and I'm getting smaller and smaller, into infinity.

3, more common in junior high. I am walking up the stairs at school to my next class. I walk and walk and walk, look down and I'm still on the third step. I walk and walk and walk. Look down and I'm still on the third step. On and on. There was also a variant where I was walking against a strong wind, walking forever and not making any headway.

I think I felt constrained in some way. Endangered. I don't know why. I think this is the birth of my aversion to risk in my personal life and a reflection of my frustration at being held back from being me - I had to be what others needed. What do you think?

danieljuk

Hi ncharge,
your dream intrigued me so thought I would have a go at interpreting it! :) Also you made me realise that I had a repeating childhood dream that I must work through myself somehow, forgot about it in recent years :D

For me, anything to do with a house in a dream represents us, it's a very internal thing. A room in a house represents a specific aspect of us, depending which room it is. But first interesting thing about the dream, it's an empty room with no clues about what it is used for. The house is also empty, it's like a part of you that you have yet to work out and understand, either you couldn't work it out as a child or it was a blank slate! what will you fill the room / house with?

The floor of the room could represent the divide between conscious / subconscious but actually I think it represents your stability and support structure. We like a firm floor to support us and is safe to walk on. So holes start appearing in this form, I think (and not to get too personal but something for you to work out in your shadow work) this represents a lack of support as you were getting older (perhaps over the course of the dream), you felt a lack of support and stability dealing with an area of your yourself which was being newly discovered (or empty). The floor had rainbow liquid. First of all the obvious symbolism of this is LGBT symbolism. After that rainbows represent connections. Some people talk about "over the rainbow bridge" for dead loved ones and pets. The rainbow serves as a joyful and bright / optimistic link between the material (earth) and higher self (spirit). I think you wanted support helping you deal with some issues and you wanted that support about your direction forwards, like the chance of wealth or success (in material ways). Perhaps also about finding your identity (not necessarily anything to do with LGBT themes) but people with rainbow hair colours are carefree. It's like finding your identity which gives you freedom and you are complete, all colours showing to the world!

I think the rainbow is actually a positive thing, for me, I think it would have been a good idea to step into the rainbow holes rather than avoid it but maybe you felt afraid and wanted to keep on the firm floor as it disappeared.

The next two dreams are similar with the theme, like you say frustration. all 3 dreams have progress in common but you are blocked from it. The floor dream, if you had gone on the rainbow you could have seen how your material life could take off, it would be encouraging with a "anything is possible" type idea. Instead you were avoiding the lack of stability. In dream 2 you are in a crowd who crush you. There is a lack of support from the masses or people and you are going nowhere because they won't let you. In dream 3 you are walking but getting nowhere, you can make no progress on the steps!

For me the main themes of the dreams are the frustration of a lack of support. No one to encourage you to be the person you are or have goals to get what you want. Perhaps also showing / finding yourself as a person. Everyone struggles with their identity. Just some ideas about the dreams :)

ncharge

Wow! Thank you! Actually, this fits in well with the things I am learning in my shadow work. I keep wondering how a child of that age could have such dreams. It seems young to be dealing with this stuff, even subconsciously. This gave me more to think about. Thank you again!