Separate deck for spellwork?

JustJazzie

My shadowscape tarot deck should be here any time now! Im very exited.

Ive only just recently been introduced to the idea of tarot magic, and I am so in love!

The I ordered this deck with magic in mind, because I didn't want to leave my reading decks out of commission while I was using the cards for spell work.

My question is, I've seen several people mention that magic decks and divination decks *need* to be kept separate and not to use the same deck(s) for both purposes.

I don't think I've come across anyone explain WHY they shouldn't be used for both. I know in the end it comes down to personal preference but I do like to explore all ideas before I take a stance on these things.

Do you make sure to keep your reading decks separate from magic decks? Do you alternate decks as you feel? Why or why not?

earthair

2 of my magic decks have symbols/writing/energy added so I don't really want to share those with people getting a reading. But I could use them for personal readings, yet I don't...I just tend to use 'clean decks' instead.

TarotTreat

I would say it depends on personal preference.
I personally would say you could a deck for both, however I would cleanse the deck between reading with it and spellwork.

Falcor

I personally have a deck that I use for spellwork only and the others are for reading for me or the others. I donno how to explain but it feels very right for me not to meddle between the uses.

G Dren

still feeling new here

I may be way off base here; but shouldn't all of your magic working tools for divination or spell casting become familiar with your energy in all its forms? Meaning that even Your Tarot deck should know your energy during spells, divining, or just a little buzzed. I would never work magic buzzed I simply carry the cards or hold them for moments when I am in each state of being. that way in an emergency they know it is me!

Wrong or right; I am not sure there. but I would cleanse the deck before and after readings for other people. In the days of old; how many decks did the average practitioner typically posses? I would be inclined to believe it was predominantly one since Tarot decks were not as readily available as they are today.

This is just my question and take on the whole thing.

Tanga

They don't NEED to be kept separately.

That - is all up to you - and what you believe. (just like how and in what - decks should be stored in, and whether they should be "cleansed" etc. That's all subjective).
In my case - I know, that if I don't physically have a separate deck - I can't separate the two uses in my own head (for Magick, or for reading for other people etc.) - then the flavour of the different uses impinge on one another.
So, I keep separate decks.
But that is just me.

Someone else may find it perfectly easy to use one deck for absolutely everything.

Also - some of my "magick" decks - are not ones I would comfortably use as a
"happy deck for customers". For example Barbara G Walker's Tarot...
The imagery is a bit sharp and creepy for alot of people. Maybe not so good for public reading - it depends.
Perfect for me in spellwork - because the imagery "cuts sharply" for my purposes.

Achlys

Do you make sure to keep your reading decks separate from magic decks? Do you alternate decks as you feel? Why or why not?

I've used decks for both readings and magick and haven't had any issues.
The only thing that might be a potential problem is, as you stated, having a deck out of commission while using cards for spellwork.
I don't think using cards for magick and readings have affected the energy of the cards.
I usually cleanse my decks regularly and they're wonderfully multi-purpose.

JustJazzie

2 of my magic decks have symbols/writing/energy added so I don't really want to share those with people getting a reading. But I could use them for personal readings, yet I don't...I just tend to use 'clean decks' instead.
OHH! How interesting that you write on them! It makes total sense. Id be terrified to write on a deck though! lol. But I could easily print a copy and write on that. Thanks for the idea!

I would say it depends on personal preference.
I personally would say you could a deck for both, however I would cleanse the deck between reading with it and spellwork.
I do like this idea! (and so did the deck when I asked it!)
Thank you.
I personally have a deck that I use for spellwork only and the others are for reading for me or the others. I donno how to explain but it feels very right for me not to meddle between the uses.
Thanks for sharing your perspective! I suppose sometimes that feeling is all we have to go with, isn't it?
They don't NEED to be kept separately.

That - is all up to you - and what you believe. (just like how and in what - decks should be stored in, and whether they should be "cleansed" etc. That's all subjective).
In my case - I know, that if I don't physically have a separate deck - I can't separate the two uses in my own head (for Magick, or for reading for other people etc.) - then the flavour of the different uses impinge on one another.
So, I keep separate decks.
But that is just me.

Someone else may find it perfectly easy to use one deck for absolutely everything.

Also - some of my "magick" decks - are not ones I would comfortably use as a
"happy deck for customers". For example Barbara G Walker's Tarot...
The imagery is a bit sharp and creepy for alot of people. Maybe not so good for public reading - it depends.
Perfect for me in spellwork - because the imagery "cuts sharply" for my purposes.
I think thats the opposite of why I don't want to keep this just for magic! I bought it FOR magic, but I just LOVE the gentle images- especially the death card. I feel its perfect for magic because I would want to cast in a positive light. But it seems like such a great reading deck too.

I've used decks for both readings and magick and haven't had any issues.
The only thing that might be a potential problem is, as you stated, having a deck out of commission while using cards for spellwork.
I don't think using cards for magick and readings have affected the energy of the cards.
I usually cleanse my decks regularly and they're wonderfully multi-purpose.
Thanks so much! Its nice to hear from someone who has successfully tempered the energies of both. Thank you!

Tanga

I think thats the opposite of why I don't want to keep this just for magic! I bought it FOR magic, but I just LOVE the gentle images- especially the death card. I feel its perfect for magic because I would want to cast in a positive light. But it seems like such a great reading deck too.

Well. Then either find a way to use one-for-all.
Or have a double.

Shadowscapes is so beautiful and soft - it's perfect for therapy IMO.
It's the deck I keep in my therapy room.
I couldn't mix that use with Magick. The impetus is different for me... Magick - my WILL (strong).
Therapy - whatever is best for the client (softer than a strong "I WILL") - if you see what I mean.

Infact - the Shodowscapes is so beautiful - I hardly read with it because I get distracted by the beautiful details. :)

EmpyreanKnight

The Golden Dawn Magical Tarot by the Ciceros lends itself to both magick rituals and divination, as evidenced by its two Temperance cards, so I guess that at least for its creators, a deck can be used for both. I personally feel that a separate deck should be used for spellwork and for divination, though it's not writ in stone. I think that if used in rituals which are not huge and grand, like if it involves at most three cards it can still be used in divining.

There is a rather similar belief here in my country. Cartomancy is a pretty big thing here, and we believe that a playing card deck that you have used even once in games or gambling will no longer be effective in fortune-telling.