law of attraction problems

hermit-IX

i'm trying to figure out why the law of attraction is not working for me, and not only is it not working but it's having major negative effects on my life.

i'm trying to be positive, find things that make me happy, do affirmations, think about what i'd like, avoid thinking about negative things, etc

but it's not working.
one morning i woke up and said today life is going to be good, i was feeling good and by the end of the day i almost ended up in a shelter.

i've been trying to attract a good relationship, and i've been practising self love, believing that someone is on their way etc...and the guys that keep coming into my life are not at all who i want. they're all players and egotistical liars.

i'm trying really hard to be positive but the more i try the more difficulties life throws at me....

what am i doing wrong?

hermit-IX

also i know happiness and positivity increase your vibrations so if you are happy while doing your affirmations they have a greater chance of manifesting....

but what about an emotion such as anxiety...if you are thinking about something while you are anxious does that increase your vibration and the likelihood of you attracting what you are thinking about

avalonian

The phrase that jumped out at me from your first post was that you are "trying to be positive", and the thought I then had was that if you are trying to be something there is a belief within that statement which says you are not feeling positive, because if you are trying to be something then you are sort of saying that you aren't "that" already. Sorry, I don't think I explained that very well.

The best material I have personally found is that by Abraham-Hicks, there is a brilliant website where you can sign up to get a free "quote" each day. The book by Esther and Jerry Hicks, "The Astonishing Power of Emotions" is brilliant, very simple suggestions of things to do that help you to get and then stay on track. Also by them is "Ask and it is Given" which contains loads of simple ideas to help you, check out the "emotional guidance scale", where you reach for the next better feeling thought, it's like going up stairs, you wouldn't try to jump from the bottom stair to the top, you would climb up one stair at a time.

One of the processes I particularly liked is the "Rampage of Appreciation", where you just look around you for things to appreciate, this is better than ignoring things because to ignore something you have to give your attention to it in the first place.

It's really about paying attention to your thoughts, being aware of how they make you feel, and when you have a thought that makes you feel "not so good", choose a different thought that helps you to feel better.

The Astonishing Power of Emotions book has a CD included that I listen to regularly, it's full of useful, simple guidance and is also hugely entertaining, it's really funny in places (and as laughter is one of the most positive things that will always help), I find it helps me to realign myself when things seem to go off track, I recommend it highly.

There's also loads of free audio stuff and videos on the Abraham-hicks site, if you are feeling like you are struggling I'm sure you will find what will help you on there, particularly if you go there with the expectation of finding it.

Just another quick thought (if you're still awake!), rather than thinking or saying "life is going to be good", change it slightly to "life is good", I feel that may make a difference.
:) :) :)

hermit-IX

The phrase that jumped out at me from your first post was that you are "trying to be positive", and the thought I then had was that if you are trying to be something there is a belief within that statement which says you are not feeling positive, because if you are trying to be something then you are sort of saying that you aren't "that" already. Sorry, I don't think I explained that very well.

The best material I have personally found is that by Abraham-Hicks, there is a brilliant website where you can sign up to get a free "quote" each day. The book by Esther and Jerry Hicks, "The Astonishing Power of Emotions" is brilliant, very simple suggestions of things to do that help you to get and then stay on track. Also by them is "Ask and it is Given" which contains loads of simple ideas to help you, check out the "emotional guidance scale", where you reach for the next better feeling thought, it's like going up stairs, you wouldn't try to jump from the bottom stair to the top, you would climb up one stair at a time.

One of the processes I particularly liked is the "Rampage of Appreciation", where you just look around you for things to appreciate, this is better than ignoring things because to ignore something you have to give your attention to it in the first place.

It's really about paying attention to your thoughts, being aware of how they make you feel, and when you have a thought that makes you feel "not so good", choose a different thought that helps you to feel better.

The Astonishing Power of Emotions book has a CD included that I listen to regularly, it's full of useful, simple guidance and is also hugely entertaining, it's really funny in places (and as laughter is one of the most positive things that will always help), I find it helps me to realign myself when things seem to go off track, I recommend it highly.

There's also loads of free audio stuff and videos on the Abraham-hicks site, if you are feeling like you are struggling I'm sure you will find what will help you on there, particularly if you go there with the expectation of finding it.

Just another quick thought (if you're still awake!), rather than thinking or saying "life is going to be good", change it slightly to "life is good", I feel that may make a difference.

thanks yes i am reading abraham hicks and following a youtube channel that talks about it...the book on emotions sounds interesting.

hermit-IX

Things which attract are usually opposites and things which fit each other.

so you're saying law of attraction attracts things that are opposite to our vibration?

avalonian

Hi, me again, earthair did also say "things that fit". I did find the concept difficult to grasp at first. If you take it back to the statement at the heart of all this you have "That which is like unto itself is drawn". I was confused because we have the sayings "opposites attract" but also "birds of a feather flock together", which seem to contradict each other.

The way I found to understand this was to think of two numbers, for example, "three", and "minus three". They are sort of opposite, because one is a "plus" figure, and one is a "minus" figure, but they also both carry the energy, or the vibration, of "three". That is where they fit.

Another example would be a jigsaw puzzle. The bits that fit together have the same shape, so they are "like" but one has the gap and the other has the bit that fits into the gap, so it is "opposite"

All you really need to think about is finding ways to raise your vibration because then you will attract things of a higher vibration (which is where the good stuff is). I do think it is human nature to make things more difficult than they need to be. One of the main messages that came through to me from the Abraham-hicks material was to "let go of the oars", because if you stop trying and just allow things to come to you, then they will.

I also wanted to say thank you for your post as it helped me to realise that I've gone a bit off track recently and this was a good reminder to listen to the CD again.

hermit-IX

Hi, me again, earthair did also say "things that fit". I did find the concept difficult to grasp at first. If you take it back to the statement at the heart of all this you have "That which is like unto itself is drawn". I was confused because we have the sayings "opposites attract" but also "birds of a feather flock together", which seem to contradict each other.

The way I found to understand this was to think of two numbers, for example, "three", and "minus three". They are sort of opposite, because one is a "plus" figure, and one is a "minus" figure, but they also both carry the energy, or the vibration, of "three". That is where they fit.

Another example would be a jigsaw puzzle. The bits that fit together have the same shape, so they are "like" but one has the gap and the other has the bit that fits into the gap, so it is "opposite"

All you really need to think about is finding ways to raise your vibration because then you will attract things of a higher vibration (which is where the good stuff is). I do think it is human nature to make things more difficult than they need to be. One of the main messages that came through to me from the Abraham-hicks material was to "let go of the oars", because if you stop trying and just allow things to come to you, then they will.

I also wanted to say thank you for your post as it helped me to realise that I've gone a bit off track recently and this was a good reminder to listen to the CD again.

thank you for your elaboration. i think what you said about vibrations is key to my issue. i think it's just too low right now and that's why i'm attracting trouble.

Barleywine

I personally don't believe there are any short-cuts. The Law of Attraction is just old wine in new bottles. It seems to have it's roots in the New Thought movement from way back in the 1930s, which had its origins in the ideas of Mesmer (the hypnotism guy) from the end of the 19th Century. Norman Vincent Peale's Power of Positive Thinking was an off-shoot of that stuff; kind of like self-hypnotism and, as ravenest says, it can be a bit risky.

ravenest

so you're saying law of attraction attracts things that are opposite to our vibration?

Think of it like this (as an easy demo to understand how it CAN work) ; You feel cranky about something, that shows on your face, people notice, maybe they give you a wide berth, maybe they are cautious, maybe it annoys them, maybe they get frightened and maybe they will respond accordingly.

Now, if you go out bursting with joy and happiness , people will notice that too , and respond differently again. or, if you fear a dog it may sense it and act aggressively .

So that is how one thing can accrue more of the same type of energy; similar energy attracts. But in nature and physics, a lot of the time it is the opposite; opposite forces attract each other .

The danger with LoA is one might need to adjust , do or change things in one's life and those changes will change circumstances. Sometimes, we can have an issue and if that isnt addressed nothing else will make the change for you.

However, having a good frame of mind about it will help, but it won't supply the whole effect needed.

For example; lets say you want to meet new people. You can make yourself open to that, have the right attitude, have an open welcoming manner , etc . But if you dont actually create opportunities to meet new people, it probably won't happen. Conversely , if you go out all over the place, but dont put out the right 'vibe' :) then nothing may come of that either.

Sorry folks , things dont really come about by only waving a magic wand, sometimes ya gotta work for it as well !