crows

Gyda

Uponing seeing a crow remember:

One for sorrow,
two for mirth.
Three for a wedding,
Four for a birth.

(Witches All 2003 the witches almanac, ltd)

Gyda

kattelein

Mmm... I work at our local high-school, and as soon as the kids have left, the crows are there. One time, I counted over 60! What could that mean? ;-)

Oh, and by the way... out here, you hardly ever see a raven: they're bigger than a crow, and they do intend to stay in"no man's land", as far away from people as possible.

zorya

counting crows

the one i learned as a kid;

one for sorrow,
two for joy,
three for a girl,
four for a boy,
five for silver,
six for gold
seven for a secret, ne'er to be told.

Angel Star

Well the crow is my totem bird. I used to get alot of them around my house when I first started to practice magick. But alot ofthem are dying around here and some say its the Westnile virus?! I saw one this morning but I think its the same one thats been around here for awhile. I think they are good luck and are good warners of anything suspicious going on at least around my house this is my interpretation of them. The first time I became intrigued with crow was when I was 5. One had broken its wing and we were waiting for someone to come from animal shelter to come get it. It seemed not afraid at all. It was so blue black and I remember its eyes just staring at me. Then when i started my magickal practices that was all I saw in the beginning were tons of crows when before there were none.

zorya

there are a couple of reasons crows have historically had the reputation for being bad luck and representing death.

many of our ancestors were farmers who depended upon their grain harvests to sustain them through the winter. a flock of crows eats the crops, and the family very well might not make it through the winter.

they also probably represented death because of their eating carrion. you often find a small flock of them any where there is road kill. i suppose one could see them as representing the cleansing needed after death, before rebirth.

Ace

Re: counting crows

zorya said:
the one i learned as a kid;

one for sorrow,
two for joy,
three for a girl,
four for a boy,
five for silver,
six for gold
seven for a secret, ne'er to be told.

I wondered how long before someone posted this or Gyda's version. Remember the recent song by the rock group Counting Crows? the song was called, originally enough, Counting Crows and they recite this rhyme as part of it. (Good song, if-like me-you like Alternative Rock.)

zorya

forgot about that song ace! indeed it does. i'm a counting crows fan, and have 3 of their cds ;)

black crows are pretty good too, and cheryl crow...

Webwitch

There is a book I have had my eye on for a while that talks about the interpretation of birds as auguries and omens, as well as mythology, folklore and weather lore... it looks kinda good..

Auguries & Omens - The Magical Lore Of Birds, By Yvonne Aburrow

I bet that would cover Crows and Ravens

I am currently reading this book. There are certainly quite a number of references to crows in it, too numerous to post here (not to mention breach of copyright).

"Crow on the fence
rain will come hence.
Crow on the ground
Rain will come down"

Another rhyme quoted from the book.

Might want to check the information out.

Cheers,
Webwitch :)