Cathar Tarot

Le Fanu

I wandered into a bookshop this afternoon, stock depleted from the Christmas rush, and to my amazement came across a mass market deck I had simply never heard of. It is the Cathar Tarot by John Matthews and Wil Kinghan - based on the teachings and belief system of the Cathars in southern France in the 11th-12th Centuries who were subsequently persecuted and wiped out in the early 13th Century. No, I'd never heard of them either. But there is something very forward thinking about their philosophy and a number of parallels between their beliefs and the Fool's journey. The Minors reflect more everyday scenes.

It's all very new to my and I saw, after opening and starting to read the book, that it had been published in December 2016 and so it really is very recent indeed. It's a lovely set, nice chunky cards with Medieval scenes. A very philosophical tarot set, with a very accessible, thought-provoking book. I just thought I'd start a thread on it for those who, like me, had never heard of it, but it seems really quite fascinating and spiritual and worth delving into. I find something extremely appealing about it.

HearthCricket

I saw this yesterday in stores and skipped it since I was not sure about it. Any pics? I am now wishing I had picked it up!

nisaba

It is the Cathar Tarot by John Matthews -
Immediate point in its favour. These two have walked alongside me since I first bought one of their books in - what? 1982? 1983?

- and Wil Kinghan - based on the teachings and belief system of the Cathars in southern France in the 11th-12th Centuries who were subsequently persecuted and wiped out in the early 13th Century. No, I'd never heard of them either.

Oh, I've heard about the Cathars! That's the only reason why I clicked open the link, in fact. They were fascinating - and were deliberately and systematically wiped out by the Vatican of the time. A few years ago I read somewhere that 150 years prior to the Visconti-Sforza deck being developed, a female Visconti was a leader of the Cathars and was put to death, and her passage to Rome as a pregnant woman and a leader of her community invited to meet the Pope and subsequently murdered, may have been the model for the Visconti Chariot card - which certainly shows a woman who looks to be pregnant.

Information about the Cathars is fairly tricky to come by - I'm going to have to get this deck just for John's book (and for the cards, of course - I am *such* a card-slut!).

nisaba

<disgusted with self> Oh, crap. Seems I accidentally slipped, and fell heavily onto the "buy now" button.

Mittkait

I have it, I had to get it when I saw previews of it a few months back.

It's gorgeous and filled with very gnostic interpretations of the cards.

HearthCricket

After watching a few videos last night, I pushed that button. Looks amazing and such an interesting subject! I can't wait!

Le Fanu

So wonderful to see so much interest in this deck. Apologies for not linking images of the deck - I was typing on my phone, but I'm glad to see someone linked to an unboxing video which gives a good sense of the deck/kit.

This is a fascinating background for a deck and the book hits just the right level of enlightening and thought-provoking without being overwhelming (a fine line; so many decks end up overwhelming the curious and you just throw your hands up in the air and wonder 'what's the point?' Just too much to memorize and assimilate)

It is very mystical and also very readable by the looks of it, although I haven't done a full-blown, extensive spread yet, but there is so much symbolism in the cards to ponder. I like it.

nisaba

It is very mystical and also very readable by the looks of it, although I haven't done a full-blown, extensive spread yet, but there is so much symbolism in the cards to ponder. I like it.

I so like juicy decks, and over the years I've learned to respect your taste.