Medieval Scapini book sighting

lunakasha

Bumping....

I will soon be acquiring the Medieval Scapini deck (thank you HearthCricket!) and would like more input on the book by Ronald Decker. It sounds like an excellent resource on the history of the deck....but I am also wondering: is it helpful for someone just getting to know the deck??? Does the book explain the significance of the detail in the cards??? This is the kind of information I really look for in a companion book....

Thanks!

:) Luna

darwinia

lunakasha said:
I will soon be acquiring the Medieval Scapini deck (thank you HearthCricket!) and would like more input on the book by Ronald Decker.

I have the Decker book but not the Medieaval Scapini. I use the book to augment study with Scapini's Shakespeare deck.

The Decker book has information on the symbolism of each card and compares the brief meanings on different cards with that of Wirth, Waite, Levi, Papus, Etteilla and Golden Dawn symbolism with Scapini's own take on cards. It identifies specifics on the cards but there is just one page or less on each card--enough to understand and relate the significance of figures and symbols.

I would eventually like to get the Medieval Scapini as well, I like the way Scapini uses humour and odd details to explain the story his own way. Scapini has painted himself in both decks on the 8 of Coins, but the symbolism is different which was interesting to note when reading the DEcker book.

bladeraven

Umbrae said:
Review Thread.

If your sight it - grab it!

If Umbrae suggest to grab it..then it's a must have for the library..now to get a bookcase...lol

lunakasha

darwinia said:
The Decker book has information on the symbolism of each card and compares the brief meanings on different cards with that of Wirth, Waite, Levi, Papus, Etteilla and Golden Dawn symbolism with Scapini's own take on cards. It identifies specifics on the cards but there is just one page or less on each card--enough to understand and relate the significance of figures and symbols.

I would eventually like to get the Medieval Scapini as well, I like the way Scapini uses humour and odd details to explain the story his own way. Scapini has painted himself in both decks on the 8 of Coins, but the symbolism is different which was interesting to note when reading the DEcker book.

Thanks, darwinia....sounds like an excellent book, just what I am looking for!
I did not know that Scapini is in the 8 of Coins, I will have to take a close look at that card....I do not have his Shakespeare deck, but I recently bought the delle Vetrate (Stained Glass) which is gorgeous and also loaded with symbolism. I am so excited about this deck! :D

LOL bladeraven....definitely have to grab this one!

bladeraven

On it's way now.......

lunakasha

bladeraven said:
On it's way now.......

Ahhh....so you went ahead and ordered the book! :p

Do you mind if I ask where you got yours???
I am trying to decide between amazon and US Games (amazon is probably cheaper). I am wondering if I should order it now or wait until I've had time with the cards first....

bladeraven

I got it from amazon.com....Amazon has always been pretty good with books and you can find like new for under 10.00 which when you're a cheapie/single mom, it's a bargain...lol

bladeraven

I got the book! It's really great...small and portable...and very anxious to start reading it....Definetely worth getting!

lunakasha

bladeraven said:
I got the book! It's really great...small and portable...and very anxious to start reading it....Definetely worth getting!

Glad to hear it, bladeraven....please keep us posted!

I am LOVING my beautiful new Scapini deck, even without the book....the LWB is actually pretty good! But I have the Decker book sitting in my amazon cart, waiting patiently for me to just CHECK OUT already!!! :D

Thanks for the updates....looking forward to working more with this deck/book!