Help with a dream: inherited house [VERY long - you've been warned]

MandMaud

THE DREAM
I have inherited a huge house.

I go to view it with someone undefined, friend or family who wouldn't be intrusive so I could feel my own feelings without their interference. The building has stood empty for about 4 years, and is in good condition but needs touching up, a lick of paint etc. Then I think of turning it into a hotel and begin to plan: lots of learning, I'll have to talk to the bank, find out how to hire a hotel manager, what else is involved, learn how to run the business, etc.

It is big to call it a mansion: three wings standing as three sides of a square, around an empty courtyard. At least three storeys, and loads of windows along all sides (whitish window frames). I see no plants during the whole dream, no garden, but it's the kind of place that would have extensive grounds. No clue what the grounds are like beyond the three wings, and the court is plain sand or gravel. Building and sand are light stone, off-white. Inside, all rooms are empty even of rubbish (I don't see them, but I know). Not even curtains or blinds.

Next scene. I'm dressing to visit and meet the staff. (Forgetting the place was empty and a "blank canvas"!) I'm in a hotel room or something, taking out what I shall wear. It's a dress in strong deepish red, actually a long-sleeved fitted tunic down to my thigh, over a skirt, all in a heavy synthetic fabric that i'd never choose to buy - but it's quality, appropriate for the occasion and my role as owner, so I accept it as suitable and think that when I'm not just dressing for the part, but being it, I'll be able to choose my own clothes of similar style and quality but nice fabric.

The staff room is on the floor above ground floor (what I call 1st floor and Americans call 2nd :)), in one of the corners. There isn't a big entrance in the middle, but doors at each corner, quite grand (heavy, old wood) but not showy. Maybe the main entrance is on the "outside" of the square and I have only seen this side.

I knock and open the staff room door, and everyone recognises me immediately. This surprises me a bit although I know I'm expected, but *everyone* greets me like an acquaintance they've been looking forward to seeing again, and I don't know any of them. They show me a big portrait of me in oils, and explain of course they know me, I'm the owner, I'm central to the establishment; it almost takes up the whole wall. They are all delighted to meet me. It's a nice room, old-fashioned, with coffee on a sideboard, a window at the other end, sofas, upright chairs and tables. The women (they're all women) are also old-fashioned, well-spoken, all middle-aged.

I have to nip quickly to the room next door for the skirt of my suit, which I left there. I open the door and find I've interrupted a lesson, and it's silent, pupils working at their desks (I think they were all boys), and the teacher is a stern man - the word 'schoolmaster' fits him better, this is equally old-fashioned here. I realise the building is a school! He sort of tuts, looks disapproving at the interruption. I apologise and reach for my skirt, which is on the nearest corner of the nearest desk - but once it's in my hand I see it is a the boy's pencil case, and I realise wrong room, and say, "Sorry, wrong room." My skirt is in the next room (which is identical but empty) - I could have sworn that the room-with-skirt and the staff room were bang next door to each other; walking in the other direction, I must have missed the classroom or else it wasn't there that time. It puzzles me.

So the house was converted to a school a long time ago, it's an established thing, not a recent thing. It is only this wing and a little way into the adjoining wing of the building.

Back in the staff room, I'm kept busy talking to the women, who I now know are teachers; someone brings me a cup of tea, someone says how nice to meet me, someone asks how my journey was, etc etc. Meanwhile I sit on one of the sofas and hope I can put my skirt back on without anyone noticing that it was off. But I can't get a second without someone's attention on me. Lucky I look dressed anyway in just the top, as it's long and 'proper', and I have tights on... I wonder if they've noticed but know of course they have and are too polite to comment. Oddly, this doesn't embarrass me much, I just know I have to (a sense of obligation) get fully dressed as soon as i can make it happen.

Remembering my visit to look around, I saw a pink house (like a cottage) on the roof of the big house, quite a decent-sized cottage maybe 4-5 bedrooms, but less than half as wide as one of the wings as the building's so big. I say that I'd thought the place was standing empty and thought I'd become a hotel manager, and the pink house looked untended, etc - they all nod and agree that the building's got run-down and looks neglected from the outside, but they tell me it's comfortable and it is well looked-after really... It's very friendly, a good vibe here, everything's lovely, but I am disappointed about my hotel ideas and thinking how to explain, how to break the news to these people who have worked here for years, and/or do the hotel thing instead or if the two could work side by side. Finally the headmaster comes in, a tall, energetic, smiling man, and shakes my hand; I know I'll like working with him.

When I leave (there's no tour of the place, unless I failed to dream that part) I have to go back in for that skirt as I've left it behind again. As I leave (down the steps, bidding them farewell, heading towards the taxi or chauffered car or bus stop, not specified!), the dress/suit is now bright white and always has been.

SUMMARY BECAUSE YOU PROBABLY NEED ONE(!)
I have inherited a big house, very big, very plain.
I go to see it; it's in good condition but needs sprucing up.
I plan to make a hotel of it.
Next scene: I put on a red dress for a visit to meet the staff.
The all-female staff are delighted to meet me and have "always" known of me.
I've left my skirt somewhere and go into the wrong room for it, where a class is in progress and I feel the schoolmaster is cross.
I understand that this is a school and my hotel plan may be scuppered.
There was a pink house on the roof of the big house.
I meet the head and like him.
As I leave, the red dress is a white dress.

THOUGHTS AFTER I WOKE:
  • From whom did I inherit? That wasn't important in the dream, so I conclude it was about what I have received from the universe.
  • This huge house is grand, but in a non-showy, dignified, quite plain way.
  • Everything about the outside of the building is white or whitish; everything inside is dark (oak panelled walls etc).
  • My dress is red, until right at the end when it is white. It isn't really mine, but it's for me.
  • I am 100% welcomed, and the welcome is 100% genuine. They're almost relieved to see me (as if I were Aslan returned at last).
  • The school aspect of the building isn't unlike the school I went to in real life. The teachers are very like most of my real teachers!
  • Can't make sense of the skirtless thing! Unless it's about looking "right" to the world, being decent, not only appearing but being quality... but underneath not being quite "all there". ;)
  • The red outfit becoming white surely has to be symbolic: power turning to innocence?
  • Absolutely no idea what that pink house was about! It's exactly the kind of house you see all over the suburbs and middle-class rural areas of England. It's painted the pale dull pink that many of them really are. It could represent my real "standard of living" (but not a house I'd choose to buy) in contrast to the mansion-sized inheritance? What's it doing on the roof? :bugeyed:

• I'm struck by how consistent the dream was. (I'm a bit pleased with myself for dreaming so competently. :laugh:) The dress stayed exactly the same throughout (tailored seams that I could draw for you now); even when its colour changed, its sewing was the same. The first (outside) visit wasn't wiped out; during the second (indoor) visit, I remembered and talked about the first visit. The layout and position of the building and rooms were exactly consistent in every scene. I haven't been to a house like this, though the style fits English 18th century.

• Everything about the dream gives me a good feeling, except the classroom bit. Incidentally that's the only male bit, and the staff room is all female.

QUESTION
I think this dream shows me what the universe has given, or is giving, to me. I have plans as to what I'll make with it - which I'm wrong about. Instead, it's somewhere that holds lessons for me to learn. Hence transforming from red, power (root chakra), to white, innocence. I am attached to my plans so I feel disappointed, but is the dream telling me to get used to it, my plans won't happen but the learning must?

I feel I've more or less interpreted it, but I also STRONGLY feel that I'm missing something. Anyone - if you've made it through all this - any thoughts? Thank you!

Saskia

THE DREAM
I have inherited a huge house.

I think of turning it into a hotel and begin to plan...

Next scene. I'm dressing to visit and meet the staff.

everyone recognises me immediately.

the teacher is a stern man - I apologise and reach for my skirt... My skirt is in the next room...

I'm kept busy talking to the women.. hope I can put my skirt back on without anyone noticing that it was off.... I just know I have to (a sense of obligation) get fully dressed as soon as i can make it happen.

I am disappointed about my hotel ideas and thinking how to explain, how to break the news to these people...

the dress/suit is now bright white and always has been.

• Everything about the dream gives me a good feeling, except the classroom bit. Incidentally that's the only male bit, and the staff room is all female.

Hi Mandmaud, that is a very intriguing dream! I'll try.

I think that those parts that convey the strongest emotions (be it happiness, surprise, embarrassment, etc.) are the most useful for interpretation. This is what I gleaned:

You were given an amazing chance to do something big according to your own plans. Do you have a chance coming up in life to turn something around, make changes, or improve something? At work or your personal life?

However, in the dream you realise other people have plans of their own and you feel disappointed that your plans could disrupt their plans/their convention. Has something like this recently happened or are you anticipating it? For example, are you about to change something at work, or in a way how you deal with your family and friends, but you think not everyone would be thrilled or see it as an improvement?

I note the ongoing plot was you looking for your garment, your uniform. You know you have to look the part to be taken seriously and respected, and a detail is missing. You're at the verge of embarrassing yourself: however, you don't feel that concerned because you're suitably covered and everyone's friendly. This could point to feeling a bit out of depth with your planned change: for example, are you considering changing careers? In your dream, you're surrounded by supportive, friendly people, aside the schoolmaster, who could represent the critics you anticipate to encounter, or conservatives who wouldn't see the value of your (overhaul) plan. Do you in general feel that women understand and support you better than men? Or that feminine traits are more helpful and supporting to you than masculine traits/values/traditions?

I think it's a dream about your plan or hope to change something. It could be your life, values, body (say, dieting), or career, etc., you name it.

The dress is red - the colour of fear but also determination, anger, courage, passion. You know you have to wear that "armour" to be taken seriously. Maybe you know you'll need to be more assertive with your plan than you'd normally feel comfortable about. At the end, the dress is white - the colour of authenticity, innocence and newness. Perhaps it means your mind resolved during the dream how to go about this plan and how you don't have a need to "cover" or "armour" yourself, you can just be yourself authentically and start carrying out that change.

I'm curious to hear if this fits!

MandMaud

My goodness, Saskia, you're spot on with your "reading" (the correlating that you do) of the emotions here, and have given me a few new angles too. :)

Hi Mandmaud, that is a very intriguing dream! I'll try.

I think that those parts that convey the strongest emotions (be it happiness, surprise, embarrassment, etc.) are the most useful for interpretation. This is what I gleaned:

You were given an amazing chance to do something big according to your own plans. Do you have a chance coming up in life to turn something around, make changes, or improve something? At work or your personal life?

In a sense I am living in that state, and have been for three, nearly four years. Before that I had no control of my own finances and no work/career prospects. Now I'm working on a "newborn" mainly-online business.

(I became single in 2013 and got my hands on the household finances for the first time. First I got rid of the stupid money-drains (debt which was hidden from me, and lots of ongoing payments for luxuries never used, the most expensive options for utilities and broadband etc etc, while we lived as if in poverty :bugeyed:); then my disability benefits have been cut bit by bit, and last year I lost the last of that; instead of fighting I decided not to lock horns with The System which has the advantage, and instead to spend that energy on earning - partly investments and mostly business. I have no business experience at all! And I still have the time-consuming health problems which qualified me for an assistant 25 hours/week and around Ā£500/month benefits... but have ceased spending hours and days on The System and no longer wonder when's the next time they're going to swoop and take away my income. Oh, and in two years on my youngest son's birthday, I'll lose 60% of what I still receive.)

However, in the dream you realise other people have plans of their own and you feel disappointed that your plans could disrupt their plans/their convention. Has something like this recently happened or are you anticipating it? For example, are you about to change something at work, or in a way how you deal with your family and friends, but you think not everyone would be thrilled or see it as an improvement?

I am deliberating whether to give up one undertaking, which was going to lead to an income, but looks likely to take many years before I can do it well enough to earn by it - but dropping that will affect others that I'm "sort of" committed to (it's voluntary for now but it's a class). Also, I'm trying to shift my eldest son and his girlfriend, (whose stay here is costing me time and attention, not money) and it's getting where I need to be more ruthless than feels good, because they're struggling to find a place.

I note the ongoing plot was you looking for your garment, your uniform. You know you have to look the part to be taken seriously and respected, and a detail is missing. You're at the verge of embarrassing yourself: however, you don't feel that concerned because you're suitably covered and everyone's friendly.

Your phrase 'taken seriously' made it clear to me! I'd almost made the connection but not quite consciously. :) I'm building a social life in town (years of ill health is isolating) and these may be people I eventually "sell to" (being my own brand, if you see what I mean). I can't buy new clothes so I'm making shrewd purchases in charity shops, as all my old clothes are falling apart at the same time! And I'm *just* keeping up, not going to many events but between needing to look respectable and not always keeping up with the laundry, it's always skin-of-my-teeth. So yes, "a detail is missing" as you say, usually something like a button or a frayed hem which I cunningly conceal! 'Uniform' is a good word, I don't like sticking firmly to conventional dress but there's a limit to how far you can wear startling clothes and still be taken seriously. I remember feeling conflicted about that when I first entered the workplace, way back.

This could point to feeling a bit out of depth with your planned change: for example, are you considering changing careers?
I think planning to start a business and wondering whether to quit the thing I run probably counts as considering changing careers, yes... :)

I swing between feeling out of depth and feeling excited and confident. Realistically, I am out of my depth. But I have the advantage of having nothing to lose so I can invent whatever life I choose - which is downright exciting.

In your dream, you're surrounded by supportive, friendly people, aside the schoolmaster, who could represent the critics you anticipate to encounter, or conservatives who wouldn't see the value of your (overhaul) plan. Do you in general feel that women understand and support you better than men? Or that feminine traits are more helpful and supporting to you than masculine traits/values/traditions?
Not in general, in fact I find myself more "foreign" among women than men if anything, but most of my support network and friends are female (nowadays). But you made me look closer at the women in the dream. My new(ish) social circle is retired and semi-retired, and predominantly female. They remind me of my mother and of the teachers at the girls' school I went to. So I'm sure, now you've said it, that the staff room represents the circle I'm in and getting to know now. Very friendly, accepting, welcoming - but on one level they can't share my aims and attitudes, partly because they don't want to earn and they're "winding down", and partly because they're comfortable being chatty and woolly and spend ages on everything (you should see their committee meetings!). I love their company and am making friends but I could lose my drive if dragged too far into that environment.

I think it's a dream about your plan or hope to change something. It could be your life, values, body (say, dieting), or career, etc., you name it.

The dress is red - the colour of fear but also determination, anger, courage, passion. You know you have to wear that "armour" to be taken seriously. Maybe you know you'll need to be more assertive with your plan than you'd normally feel comfortable about. At the end, the dress is white - the colour of authenticity, innocence and newness. Perhaps it means your mind resolved during the dream how to go about this plan and how you don't have a need to "cover" or "armour" yourself, you can just be yourself authentically and start carrying out that change.

I'm curious to hear if this fits!
Well, the plan/hope to make a change, I've described above. :) The colours... yes about the armour; yes about courage and being assertive. Yes about newness (three years ago I felt like an 18-year-old out in the Big Wide World for the first time, making her own decisions, buying insurance, booking a holiday, all that stuff. I'd been "within" a life for so long! But that was the beginning of the story, not its conclusion. Now, let me see... being myself, and making it all work based on that (making my business and my life work), is what I want to do. The HOW isn't at all clear to me for the moment.

Another word for innocence is ignorance - ie not knowing!

Thank you for your detailed input, Saskia, this is useful.

Saskia

I'm glad to hear you got so much out of it! Truly, what a fascinating and coherent dream, one doesn't usually get those! :)

Innocence = ignorance - I think you're at the Fool stage in tarot. Ready to take on the world, not knowing how, but determined and excited to find out. And that quality in itself will help you, because it will make you find ways around any obstacles, like you describe with charity shops. You go girl :D

Padma

the little pink house represents your heart, to me. It's on the roof, because it is on your mind. I think you have heart chakra work to do, this dull pink house, so small and plain, needs some attention :)

One could correlate red dress with a fiery passion, and sexuality (the bottom of your suit is missing! Everyone can see you are missing a sexual connection), and white with a purity of soul or current chastity of being.

Seeing all those middle aged women in the staff room of the big house, to me, means meeting up with yourself, being at home with yourself. They all know you, of course, because they are all aspects of yourself.

Nice man/head master/you will enjoy working with him perhaps means getting to know a more male side to yourself - being in control of your fate and life.

To me, houses in dreams represent one's spirituality, and so that it is a large, rambling, but empty house may be that you have a lot of spirituality but haven't really "owned" it yet - it is all new to you, and it is not yet decorated, so you can make it what you want it to be.

For now that is all that I see - might come back with more later! ;)

MandMaud

I'm glad to hear you got so much out of it! Truly, what a fascinating and coherent dream, one doesn't usually get those! :)

Innocence = ignorance - I think you're at the Fool stage in tarot. Ready to take on the world, not knowing how, but determined and excited to find out. And that quality in itself will help you, because it will make you find ways around any obstacles, like you describe with charity shops. You go girl :D

Thank you, Fool (whether stage or not!) says it all. :)

I used to get dreams like this all the time, in my childhood and teens, through most of my twenties. Then they stopped with a severe trauma, and since then I hardly remember any dreams let alone the long, detailed ones with a full story to them. So this was a treat. Plus it felt like more than entertainment, sometimes you know a dream's an important one.

MandMaud

the little pink house represents your heart, to me. It's on the roof, because it is on your mind. I think you have heart chakra work to do, this dull pink house, so small and plain, needs some attention :)

I hadn't thought of relating the pink colour to heart - which makes sense, of course. It was an insipid pink, typical of English houses when pink's the colour they are given, not the rich pink I associate with the chakra... but still. Maybe the dream "rewrote" the shade after deciding to show it as a house, if that makes sense.

One could correlate red dress with a fiery passion, and sexuality (the bottom of your suit is missing! Everyone can see you are missing a sexual connection), and white with a purity of soul or current chastity of being.

:bugeyed::laugh::laugh: I'm more embarrassed now than I felt in the dream! And the top part was long enough to be decent... I didn't shock any of the old dears. :laugh: But your logic is perfect!

Seeing all those middle aged women in the staff room of the big house, to me, means meeting up with yourself, being at home with yourself. They all know you, of course, because they are all aspects of yourself.

But myself isn't middle-aged yet... at least, the very youngest of them I'd say was about my age.

I like the thought of being at home with myself, though. Meeting multiples of me! Crikey. I will ponder this idea, sleep on it. To be honest I still think they represented the social circle I'm moving in nowadays, as I said to Saskia. I'm beginning to feel the age difference quite a lot - not our ages according to how long we've been alive, but the "retired" mindset opposing my "in the world" fairly ambitious attitude.

Nice man/head master/you will enjoy working with him perhaps means getting to know a more male side to yourself - being in control of your fate and life.

They do say all people in a dream are aspects of oneself. He was close to my (current) ideal man, in terms of physique and age as well as character. I hadn't thought of that till now. I like the thought of "stepping into" his persona - I can use that in meditation and so on. He's someone I would be proud to be. (Assuming he wasn't just a good "salesman" as some people are on first impressions.)

To me, houses in dreams represent one's spirituality, and so that it is a large, rambling, but empty house may be that you have a lot of spirituality but haven't really "owned" it yet - it is all new to you, and it is not yet decorated, so you can make it what you want it to be.

For now that is all that I see - might come back with more later! ;)

OK, yes, I know there's a lot more spirituality I still have to inhabit - pun unintentional but it's perfect in context, isn't it! - even after a LOAD of spiritual progress in the last few years. I know there's a next step approaching: going public, reconciling how people know me with how I am these days - I need to update the world on where I'm at. Not yet decorated... that would say image, eh.

I tend to go with the personality theory of dream houses: the basement, middle and attic being id, ego and superego. Not far different from your way.

Thanks for reading my impossibly long dream account and for your input!