Why does one get visions?

Ron521

I have visions periodically, often when dwelling on a situation for a while. The first time this happened I was about 11, and becoming interested in cars, specifically OLD cars of the 20's and 30's. Riding in the passenger seat of my father's truck one warm day, staring through the windshield, I SAW a sedan of the early 30's enter the crossroad ahead of us from the left side of the intersection, do a sharp donut in the street, and tear off in the direction it had come. The scene looked like a few seconds from the movie "Bonnie and Clyde", except that the car was not shiny and new, but painted with red primer.

I asked my father what kind of car that was, and he asked "What car?" When we rolled through the intersection, there was no car of any kind in sight. Apparently, I had created the vision by dwelling on the subject, and tuning out other external stimuli.

Things like this still happen sometimes...think deeply about something, and ignore other sounds or visual inputs...not sure what it MEANS, or if it means anything.

yannie

I've been reading this thread with great interest but felt shy joining with my odds.

From a psychological point of view we can reach out to the phenomenon of dissociation.
This basically means disconnecting from reality. Sounds weird and psychotic, but hang on.
It's a coping mechanism for overload and stress when inner psychological boundaries are low or one is sensitive.

Everybody has this to a certain extend. A dissociative mindstate can show as a big blank emptiness in your head, also often as accidental daydreaming. Your head is taking a break.

It relates to meditation and dreaming. Except meditating people do it purpose. There is a neurological link between. If sleeping, meditating or disassociating the same brainwaves raise on scientific scans what refers to similar activities. I know this from having been a living example. But this is dry scientific stuff. ;)

What is likely to rise in all 3 related conditions are archetypical pictures if we want to refer to Jung and Freud.
Inner archetypes get intojected and developed in early childhood and surpressed again in later years.
But pops up in one way or another.

If we follow the route of coping mechanism, flashing pictures work like an inner escape to soothe an overloaded mind.
I myself have an entire inner landscape. Built naturally since early childhood. Here we can go a dash esoteric. My head is all about water and sea. I'm a watersign.
If I close my eyes and fall back into my mind I'll find myself at the seaside or at least at a rivers bay.
I subconsciously had to build this safe place during a very rough childhood.

I don't call those moments visions. Then what qualifies as a vision? This is probably up to the eye of the beholder. I sometimes get them. They grab me out of a sudden while being fully switched on. Nothing dreamy about that. More like a kick in the head. But then I don't do channeling. Would be interesting to compare those experiences.

I hope I could shed some light on a different perspective.

Thanks for your psychology-based perspective Isobel! Yes I have read a bit about dissociation actually, so do get what you say. Everyone's head "shuts down" like this to a certain extent sometimes, but extreme overload can lead to psychosis.

I like that you brought up archetypes, for it looks like one has popped up - greenery (maybe a representation of creation) - for a few here. I am an earth sign, if that means anything. But I also grew up surrounded by lots of green.

I call them visions for ease of reference, rather than flashes-of-images-in-my-head. Too long! Lol.

I have seen what can happen to people who fixate on those flashing images in their head (especially those who want to fixate - it is my view that they're doing it wrong). Not good. Meditation done incorrectly runs the risk of the person tipping over into psychosis :neutral:

yannie

I have visions periodically, often when dwelling on a situation for a while. The first time this happened I was about 11, and becoming interested in cars, specifically OLD cars of the 20's and 30's. Riding in the passenger seat of my father's truck one warm day, staring through the windshield, I SAW a sedan of the early 30's enter the crossroad ahead of us from the left side of the intersection, do a sharp donut in the street, and tear off in the direction it had come. The scene looked like a few seconds from the movie "Bonnie and Clyde", except that the car was not shiny and new, but painted with red primer.

I asked my father what kind of car that was, and he asked "What car?" When we rolled through the intersection, there was no car of any kind in sight. Apparently, I had created the vision by dwelling on the subject, and tuning out other external stimuli.

Things like this still happen sometimes...think deeply about something, and ignore other sounds or visual inputs...not sure what it MEANS, or if it means anything.

This is interesting! Well, as long as you know they are illusions created from your mind... interesting to ponder how the mind can create such things, isn't it? :)

Tanga

There is no answer.
IMO it's varied - like this:

I'm not sure there's a simple one-size-fits-all answer. Why do we dream? Why do we daydream? Some of it is the brain processing information and emotions, some of it is maybe messages from the shared subconscious or the spirit world or the soul level. I'm afraid nobody knows, because we don't even fully understand consciousness yet.

I have them occasionally.

- Sometimes a flash "idea" about someone I'm with (maybe a client) - which, if I mention it to them - may turn out to be something in their lives that they are presently processing and find useful or intriguing to talk about (so somehow I've "picked it up").

- Sometimes a re-curring dream - which after a while, I can usually work out what my subconscious mind is trying to sort through - something I've not been paying too much attention to - or acknowledging consciously.
E.g.the varying comments here about greenery and what they might mean (I had a beautiful one with forsythia flowers floating off up into the air as I passed by... Woooow!)
Or it could be my anxiety about something.
Or even dreams that tell me I'm about to be ill (took a while to figure that imagery out - quite fascinating. :) ).

- Sometimes it's a link to "other" - like dreaming that my favourite pet doberman has come to say goodbye, and that he's now running on "forever green fields" with new friends...
- this, 2 months before my mother in "real time" informed me that she had had to put him down (I was away at University at the time).
Or hearing a sound or phrase in someones voice, with nothing there - and then having it re-cur for real... deja vu...

- And sometimes, if I'm really focussed on something (trying to learn it, figure it out, etc. -
it will just invade my waking consciousness when I'm least expecting (the reaction of the overloaded mind? :) ).

~~~***~~~