The "Wyrd" Rune

Padma

Sometimes, things in life take us totally by surprise. Sometimes, the absolutely unexpected occurs. And that is how I personally take that rune in interpretations - that I really will not at all have foreseen or expected the outcome or the happening around whatever position it falls in.

I've noticed in readings people tend to ask "will he do this thing" or "will this event go well for me" or whatever - and they've already made ideas about it, how it can turn out, as though the only things that could possibly happen are our two or three possible mental imagined scenarios for them. So I find the reminder that occasionally the absolute unexpected can happen a refreshing thought :)

Herodotus

"Dice Cup" = "Lot Cup" = Perthro :)

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense, although I tend to think of the wyrd as similar but not exactly the same as Perthro. Perthro has something to say, even if its being mysterious about it. Wyrd is just blank. Of course, this difference may be irrelevant if the wyrd was never there.

Herodotus

Sometimes, things in life take us totally by surprise. Sometimes, the absolutely unexpected occurs. And that is how I personally take that rune in interpretations - that I really will not at all have foreseen or expected the outcome or the happening around whatever position it falls in.

I've noticed in readings people tend to ask "will he do this thing" or "will this event go well for me" or whatever - and they've already made ideas about it, how it can turn out, as though the only things that could possibly happen are our two or three possible mental imagined scenarios for them. So I find the reminder that occasionally the absolute unexpected can happen a refreshing thought :)

Another compelling case for the wyrd. Thanks.

For the record, this blank stone remains with my runes - I haven't yet decided if I want to take it out, which means for the time being that I've decided to keep it. I only asked this question in the first place because it did come up in a reading and I was unsure what to make of it, and the uncertainty made me question why it was even there when I knew there was no historical precedent for it. (for the life of me, I can't remember what the other two runes were in the cast, otherwise I'd share them for the sake of the anecdote.) It's tough to say whether or not the divination was accurate in retrospect, since the wyrd basically said "anything can happen".